advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
iPhone3GS on the way - what case to buy?
Posted by: earache
Date: June 10, 2009 09:14AM
After drooling over the iphone for 2 years, I've finally decided to make the jump. Have 2 32Gb's coming for me and my honey. I can't wait.

So my question is two fold, do I even need a case for my new phone and if I do, which ones are best?

My wife has already found a slip in case for her phone which will live in her purse. I don't have a purse, so my phone will live in my front pants pocket most of the time. I'll need a case which won't add a lot of bulk and won't get hung up on my pocket when I take it in/out. I like the looks of the hard plastic cases. Have an Agent18 case hard case for my iPod and love it. Don't know if something like that would inhibit the usability of the phone. I've also seen those clear wraps, but wonder how well they stay on. My main objective is to protect the phone from scratches, not so much from drops. What do you guys think?

What other must have accessories should I get? Car charger? A dock (or will a case preclude the use of a dock)?

Thanks!

earache
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: iPhone3GS on the way - what case to buy?
Posted by: wickedsteve
Date: June 10, 2009 09:36AM
If you want just scratch protection then get an InvisibleShield or something like it.
If you want more style and protection maybe a leather Sena case is for you.
senacses.com
I used both together for a while.
If you want it completely enclosed in very good plastic protection I think the iSkin cases are durable.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2009 09:38AM by wickedsteve.
Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: June 10, 2009 10:02AM
I really like the inCase slider. [www.goincase.com]

The new 3G S has an oil resistant screen, so I am second guessing a screen protector, which I have always used. [cultofmac.com]

There is now an Oleophobic (oil resistant) screen protector [www.screenprotector.net]

I always put my iphone in a horizontal belt case like this one with additional belt security
[www.itrimming.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2009 10:06AM by Ken Sp..
Posted by: DRR
Date: June 10, 2009 10:05AM
Second the InCase slider. I don't use a screen protector although you should consider a matte one if you watch a lot of movies/video.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: June 10, 2009 10:17AM
bodyguardz.com
Posted by: jardster
Date: June 10, 2009 10:21AM
It depends....

On the front I've got a clear plastic piece (got it from meritline.com for $0.69 during their last special.... I should have bought a few!). It gives basic scratch protection to the front... seems to last about 6 months before it gets junky and needs to be replaced.

I have a rubber "case" that goes about the sides and back (not sure where I got it, but somewhere cheap). It's black, so maintains the look a little. It will add some bulk to the phone, but I like it because it prevents slipping... I can keep the phone on my car seat and i won't go anywhere, no matter how short I stop.

just my $0.02

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2009 10:43AM by jardster.
Posted by: prymsnap
Date: June 10, 2009 10:29AM
Be aware of any dock considerations. You need to figure out of the case can stay on the phone while docking, or if the bottom of the case needs to come off first. I have a Griffin dock that accommodates the multi-sized inserts. With that in mind I bought an Agent 18 case that comes with its own custom insert so you can leave the case on while docking.
I'll start with...
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: June 10, 2009 11:11AM
... [www.bodyguardz.com] .

The back of the 'Phone is gloss plastic and I'm assuming that it will scratch easily and black will show that readily. So I want to protect that. Mine is on order.

Then it's a matter of selecting a case that will then fit the kitted 'Phone. Not that easy.

I've got a Send Station extender for docks that works with any case.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: bhaveshp
Date: June 10, 2009 12:15PM
Third on the Incase slider. I also use the Griffin Simplifi dock/reader/hub. I can still dock the iPhone while the Incase slider is on.

I bought it after an Apple Genius recommended it. He literally dropped his iPhone with an Incase to the Apple store concrete floor to demonstrate how well it protects.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2009 12:19PM by bhaveshp.
Posted by: richorlin
Date: June 10, 2009 01:51PM
earache
I don't have a purse, so my phone will live in my front pants pocket most of the time.

"Is that an iPhone in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?"
Mae West
Posted by: PeterB
Date: June 10, 2009 03:42PM
I too agree with Ken Sp., the InCase slider case is very good, though the page he linked was for the one for the original iPhone and not the 3G model -- I presume these are not interchangeable?

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: June 10, 2009 10:39PM
PeterB
I too agree with Ken Sp., the InCase slider case is very good, though the page he linked was for the one for the original iPhone and not the 3G model -- I presume these are not interchangeable?

YOu are right--my mistake. The easiest way to tell the original slider and the 3g slider is that the 3G is a matte, non-skid type finish(for the black model, (not sure about white). Original is gloss
Posted by: PeterB
Date: June 10, 2009 11:42PM
Ken (and others), like I said, I assume they aren't interchangeable?

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: Lalaland
Date: June 25, 2009 03:24PM
I just received my leather case from Fortte.....I was surprised at how nice it is. They even made it a little wider to accomodate my iFrogz.....I am so excited about this phone I can't stand it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 103
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018