advertisement
Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $96.13 ( +0.53 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
How does your workplace handle doctors appointments?
Posted by: lazydays
Date: June 10, 2009 09:59AM
At my workplace we have vacation time and also personal/sick time (not differentiated). When I take personal time to visit the doctor my boss literally harasses me. It got me thinking that he probably wants me to take vacation time instead of sick time to see the doctor as that would reduce my total number of days out of the office during the year.

How does your workplace handle doctors appointments?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: How does your workplace handle doctors appointments?
Posted by: dmann
Date: June 10, 2009 10:06AM
My previous job it was PTO. The job before that as long as we didn't abuse it, they never counted it against us in any way. Both were small companies (less than 50 people.) I was a salaried employee, BTW.

DM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2009 10:54AM by dmann.
Posted by: wurm
Date: June 10, 2009 10:10AM
Seems to me if you're sick enough to see a doctor, it's sick time. If you want a day off for relaxing, it's vacation time. If you need a couple of hours off in the middle of the day for a doctor's appointment and you're not sick enough to be off from work, I'd think that would be a comp time kind of thing, where you just stay later or come in earlier if they're really tracking your hours.

Places I've worked don't really scrutinize unless it appears you're abusing the policy. I've been fortunate in that they never really questioned it if I needed to take a day here and there or blow out of there early for an appointment.
Posted by: threeprong
Date: June 10, 2009 10:13AM
I always scheduled them first thing and worked a little late or through lunch or both to compensate.
Posted by: billb
Date: June 10, 2009 10:15AM
Officially, doctor visits are off the clock on your own time.
It is also requested that attempts are made to get office visits after hours or the first appointment during the day for the least amount of work hours disruption.
Sometimes I'll get paid even though I wasn't on the clock.
Sometimes I don't.
My boss has been a moody bastid lately.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: June 10, 2009 10:25AM
There are no sick days here. An hour or so to go to the doc isn't a big issue. I tend to take half days of vacation for larger appointments. We also have a doc here twice a week for employees for about $20 a visit for misc stuff, but nothing 'chronic'.
Posted by: jardster
Date: June 10, 2009 10:27AM
billb

It is also requested that attempts are made to get office visits after hours

I love when people complain that they can only come in after hours and are offended that I don't offer them. Sure, I want to work at 7pm. Oh wait, how about you come see ME during the day, and then YOU stay at your office until 7pm to make up the time! BTW, I start seeing patients at 7am and end at 5pm with no lunch, so it's not like i'm slacking.

Posted by: billb
Date: June 10, 2009 10:38AM
jardster
billb

I love when people complain that they can only come in after hours and are offended that I don't offer them. Sure, I want to work at 7pm. Oh wait, how about you come see ME during the day, and then YOU stay at your office until 7pm to make up the time! BTW, I start seeing patients at 7am and end at 5pm with no lunch, so it's not like i'm slacking.

You must get 4 AM tee time.
Date: June 10, 2009 10:42AM
billb
jardster
billb

You must get 4 AM tee time.

Ha! Can't remember the last time I played golf--- but that's because I've got 2 small kids, not because of work!

Posted by: mattkime
Date: June 10, 2009 10:49AM
visiting a doctor is a sign of weakness and should be avoided at all cost

VTPKL it!
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: June 10, 2009 10:52AM
When I had a job I was salaried so if the appt. wasn't an all day event it was just allowed. If it was 1/2 a day or more, we would have to use PTO. But the way my company looked at it was since I was salaried i'm going to be working more than a full 40 hours a week at some times during the year so excusing you for a couple hours for a appt. was allowed.

Posted by: Doc
Date: June 10, 2009 11:13AM
If I ask in advance, I don't get it.

If I make the appointment, free up the time on my calendar and then TELL my boss I'm taking the time, he grumbles, curses, complains about freeloaders killing his business and agrees to it.

If I take a few hours off for a doctor's app't. I then have to make those hours up.

If I take half a day or more then it comes out of my vacation time.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: June 10, 2009 11:46AM
. .. unfortunately, there is still a 'caste' system at most work places. . .managers and higher ups can go with nothing being docked but assts/etc have to request time off. . .

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: JoeH
Date: June 10, 2009 11:50AM
I get 12 sick days a year, they can be taken off by the hour and are supposed to be used for doctor's, dental and other medical appointments and when actually sick.

Several days a year can also be used as "Family Sick" time to take care of a sick family member. They will occasionally check if a person appears to be abusing them and request documentation of the appointments or illness. Only time I was ever questioned on them was when I used some to take care of medical issues for my mother some years back. The clerk in the office did not want to put them through that way. But since I was her legal guardian and responsible for her care, her objection was overruled by those higher up.

Posted by: pinion
Date: June 10, 2009 11:51AM
jardster

But your sig makes it seem like you might be a psychiatrist and this thread is about going to see the doctor.

---"Yer all idiots." elmo3
[forums.macresource.com]
Date: June 10, 2009 12:00PM
pinion
But your sig makes it seem like you might be a psychiatrist and this thread is about going to see the doctor.

YES- Psychiatrists are doctors. I went to medical school, got my MD, did my 4 years of internship and residency.

Date: June 10, 2009 12:19PM
jardster
pinion

YES- Psychiatrists are doctors. I went to medical school, got my MD, did my 4 years of internship and residency.

So psychiatrists are doctors and therapists are psychiatrists without their doctorate?

[forums.macresource.com]
Posted by: AlphaDog
Date: June 10, 2009 12:23PM
pinion
So psychiatrists are doctors and therapists are psychiatrists without their doctorate?

Ahem, and how about also without that medical training?! A therapist can have a doctorate and still not be a psychiatrist.
Date: June 10, 2009 12:32PM
Let me clarify...

Psychiatrist = Medical Doctor (MD), went to medical school, trained in BOTH psychotherapy and medication management of psychiatric Illness.

Therapist- Anyone who does psychotherapy. Could be a social worker (LCSW), psychologist (PhD, or PsyD), or other licensed counselor. They do NOT do meds, just the talking part.

Date: June 10, 2009 12:39PM
jardster
Let me clarify...

Psychiatrist = Medical Doctor (MD), went to medical school, trained in BOTH psychotherapy and medication management of psychiatric Illness.

Therapist- Anyone who does psychotherapy. Could be a social worker (LCSW), psychologist (PhD, or PsyD), or other licensed counselor. They do NOT do meds, just the talking part.

Does that mean that psychiatrists would be predisposed to come up with a chemical solution to their patients problems instead of talking them through the problem so that they don't waste all the medical training in medication management.

[forums.macresource.com]
Posted by: mattkime
Date: June 10, 2009 12:44PM
>>Does that mean that psychiatrists would be predisposed to come up with a chemical solution to their patients problems instead of talking them through the problem so that they don't waste all the medical training in medication management.

No, it means that psychiatrists treat patients that can benefit from drug based treatments where dream analysis is unlikely to help.

VTPKL it!
Posted by: JoeH
Date: June 10, 2009 01:47PM
mattkime
>>Does that mean that psychiatrists would be predisposed to come up with a chemical solution to their patients problems instead of talking them through the problem so that they don't waste all the medical training in medication management.

No, it means that psychiatrists treat patients that can benefit from drug based treatments where dream analysis is unlikely to help.

And many patients need both the drug treatment and the talk therapy at the same time to maintain awareness of their condition.

Posted by: Harbourmaster
Date: June 10, 2009 01:56PM
JoeH
mattkime

And many patients need both the drug treatment and the talk therapy at the same time to maintain awareness of their condition.

What the hell are you talking about? I don't have any "condition" ,I just have these pesky spiders crawling all over me all the time... eye popping smiley

Aloha, Ken

“I have developed significant attachments to several members even though I wouldn't recognize them if I sat next to one on a park bench. I'm often tempted when in an airport to walk around, hollering "The Løpe", to see if anyone other than the Homeland Security people will acknowledge me. ” - The Løpe
Date: June 10, 2009 02:11PM
Harbourmaster
JoeH
mattkime

What the hell are you talking about? I don't have any "condition" ,I just have these pesky spiders crawling all over me all the time... eye popping smiley

Sounds like you shouldn't have gone from a case of beer a day to nothing so quickly... better go get something to drink (maybe ask Voodoo for a recommendation).

Psychiatrists are trained in both therapy and meds and do both. I think most therapists (any training) will agree that meds and therapy are often indicated, but Psychiatrists are the only ones who can do both.

Posted by: davester
Date: June 10, 2009 02:49PM
Every job I ever had with sick leave allowed doctor's appointments to be counted against sick leave (why is this not a Duh!?). My last employer switched from vacation + 2 wks sick leave per month to a PTO (paid time off)/ PTI (paid time illness) system. They dumped vacation + 1 week sick time into PTO to be used for vacations and regular doctor/dentist stuff and the PTI had to be a true illness, surgery, etc with a doctor's note. That was a better system...if you didn't have a lot of doctor time you got extra vacation.

Now, I'm a consultant so any time I go to the doctor I simply don't get paid unless I can do work on the computer in the waiting room. It's an economic double whammy, I'm paying big bucks to the doctor and at the same time I'm losing big bucks from being out of work.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: Racer X
Date: June 10, 2009 03:41PM
sounds like when I go on vacation too. Contract worker. pay for the trip, and lose money while not working.
Posted by: sunfalcon
Date: June 10, 2009 07:47PM
I'm in the Air Force. When I need to see a doctor, I go to one - no questions asked. I try and make appointments in the beginning of the day or at the end, but it's not a problem. I'm thankful for that.
Posted by: Black
Date: June 10, 2009 09:05PM
jardster
billb

Posted at 9:24 A.M. CST . . .

MR/F Guestmap: [www.mapservices.org]
Posted by: Speedy
Date: June 12, 2009 09:16AM
For medical appointments my former boss gave me the day off without pay. But then I am a truck driver and it is hard to take time off in the middle of the day if I'm 300 miles out.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login