advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Java 1.5?
Posted by: graylocks
Date: June 10, 2009 01:09PM
i'm trying to install a piece of Sourceforge freeware on my eMac running Panther. the apps specs say 10.2 or better. when i try to open it it says i need Java 1.5. the Java site says to run Software Update to get it. SU doesn't indicate that this mac needs it; i have Java 1.4.2.

a search on the Apple site brings up 8000 hits for Java. how can i find this do-hicky and check if it's suitable for Panther?

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Java 1.5?
Posted by: Seacrest
Date: June 10, 2009 01:18PM
I don't think JRE 1.5 officially works on Panther.
[www.macosxhints.com]

I am not Ryan Seacrest, and I do not approve this message.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: June 10, 2009 01:37PM
Seacrest
I don't think JRE 1.5 officially works on Panther.
[www.macosxhints.com]

thanks. the install trick worked but did not make this app any happier; now it doesn't give me the Java message- just won't open. oh well.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: decay
Date: June 10, 2009 02:55PM

Don't do this, it simply will not work. While some of the command-line functionality of Java can run on earlier systems the GUI code most definitely depends on new features added in 10.4.

This "hint" has been floating around for a long, long time and has been shown to not work many, many times. Don't waste your time. If you want to keep track of Java on OS X, I suggest searching through the Java-Dev archives at [lists.apple.com]

---
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 197
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020