advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Re: Macresources SoCal May 6th Lunch - follow up starts on page 3 & 4 - My report is finally up with pictures - Everyone is invited to share our fun! :)
Posted by: Harbourmaster
Date: May 08, 2006 09:15PM
And the thread breaks 200 posts! Whoo Hoooo!

A great time was had by all who attended on Saturday, I just wish that I would have had more rest beforehand so that I would have looked like I had my eyes open!

I'm glad everyone enjoyed the location and I'm Looking forward to the next luncheon already!!

Aloha, Ken

“I have developed significant attachments to several members even though I wouldn't recognize them if I sat next to one on a park bench. I'm often tempted when in an airport to walk around, hollering "The Løpe", to see if anyone other than the Homeland Security people will acknowledge me. ” - The Løpe

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2006 09:16PM by Harbourmaster.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Macresources SoCal May 6th Lunch - follow up starts on page 3 & 4 - My report is finally up with pictures - Everyone is invited to share our fun! :)
Posted by: Effin Haole
Date: May 08, 2006 10:46PM
The waitress was enhancement free from my observations.

Not to mention she was very nice and patient with us. Service was excellent IMHO.

Edit: And I will hold ya to that beer !

Strength without compassion is brutality. Compassion without strength is weakness.

We must train our minds to desire what the situation demands.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2006 10:47PM by Effin Haole.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: May 09, 2006 01:16AM
Effin Haole Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Not to mention she was very nice and patient with us. Service was excellent IMHO.

She was all that, but she's either a bit wet behind the ears still or the world's biggest optimist. I had $12 coming as change on my $28 bill; she gave me a ten and two singles. Any seasoned waitperson would have given me a five and seven singles.

I still left her a good tip. smiling smiley

It is what it is.
Re: Macresource SoCal May 6th Lunch - Photos/Report HERE! B)
Posted by: MikeF
Date: May 09, 2006 09:32AM
Hey, what happened?

The last I looked this thread had like 206 posts and now it's under 200?

Still the most viewed!
Posted by: SteveJobs
Date: May 09, 2006 09:38AM
your waitress looks just like someone I know, but she's blonde.

Someone had a $28 BILL?? You sure they didn't just draw-in the middle of a $20 bill's ZEROs and make it LOOK like a $28 bill?

smiling smiley

Posted by: rgG
Date: May 09, 2006 10:33AM
Great work GeneL. Would you like to organize the next Atlanta get together? smiling smiley You seem to have had a lot better luck getting people to show up than we did. I'm glad you finally got the pics posted, now we can put names with faces. Good luck with the next one, too.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: RgrF
Date: May 09, 2006 01:26PM
rgG Wrote:
> Great work GeneL. Would you like to organize the
> next Atlanta get together? You seem to have had a
> lot better luck getting people to show up than we
> did. I'm glad you finally got the pics posted, now
> we can put names with faces.
Good luck with the
> next one, too.
>
heh heh

Wait 'til the Photoshoppers get going.
Posted by: Harbourmaster
Date: May 09, 2006 03:40PM
How come the post count is going down in this thread so radically???!!!

Aloha, Ken

“I have developed significant attachments to several members even though I wouldn't recognize them if I sat next to one on a park bench. I'm often tempted when in an airport to walk around, hollering "The Løpe", to see if anyone other than the Homeland Security people will acknowledge me. ” - The Løpe
Posted by: GeneL
Date: May 09, 2006 05:00PM
Last night I asked the Administrators to allow a new Sticky for a thread I was going to start about our next "great" event to be scheduled in the Fall. I indicated that I would like to provide a link to this thread. So that the Forum members could still easily return to it to see the pictures and share the fun.

In the process of doing some Administrative editing Stuffed Shirt (is there more to the screen name than meets the eye? smiling smiley) has altered the energy and the flow of our MR SoCal thread,

Unfortunately, the changes he made were done without asking me about them and looking at the changes, they were upsetting and I felt they interfered with the continuity I wanted to maintain.

I'm sad that this was done, especially since SS has been helpful to our "MR SoCal May 6th Lunch event" thread in the past and I know that he meant well.

As promised I am working on the NEW thread for our next event and in it I will insert a link to this previous thread, so that everyone can still easily access the pictures, your comments and my report.

One of the reasons that I was successful in generating the enthusiasm for our Lunch was the ability to edit and update the heading of the thread.

My feelings are that it is important to the "creative energy" of a special event thread, that only the person organizing the event makes changes to its "HEADLINE" and not the administrators, unless something is written that is off color or otherwise offensive.

Please follow me to the new thread and continue to post followup comment and to view the pictures whenever you like. I'm sure Mini Leader will appreciate the attention.

There will be many new surprises coming up in our planning for our next event so jump right in. Add your ideas and (this goes for all Members, not just from SoCal) start thinking about how you can attend our next GREAT EVENT!

See you on my next thread entitled "As promised: PLANNING FOR THE NEXT MR SOCAL EVENT HAS STARTED! (a link to our previous event & pictures is included)"

GeneL
Re: Macresource SoCal May 6th Lunch - I've posted a new thread for our next MR SoCal Event with a link to this thread - Please followup on the new thread - Thanks, GeneL
Posted by: dmann
Date: May 09, 2006 05:14PM
Gene, what a success! Congrats to you on a great event.

One thing. I beg of you, whatever you do- PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE no animated gifs or whatever they are in the subject line of the new thread.

Use all the smileys and other emoticons you want- go nuts. Use the animated ones WITHIN the thread. Its the animated ones in the subject line that are hard to take day in and day out.

I have never ever asked anyone do anything like this but the thought of having to look at that bouncy flippy guy for months leading up to your next event is enough to make me lose my mind.

Thank you for your consideration and for allowing me to once again display images for this website. smiling smiley

DM
Re: Macresource SoCal May 6th Lunch - I've posted a new thread for our next MR SoCal Event with a link to this thread - Please followup on the new thread - Thanks, GeneL
Posted by: $tevie
Date: May 09, 2006 05:29PM
I second dmann's motion. Very emphatically.

I would actually prefer no emoticons at all in a Sticky heading, but I've already made that clear elsewhere.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2006 05:30PM by $tevie.
Date: May 09, 2006 05:34PM
I get what you mean dmann and Stevie. I know Harbourmaster feels the same way, so I will limit my animated smileys in the headings except perhaps at a point close to when the event is going to take place and then remove it just after we start the followups.

Does that sound reasonable?

GeneL
Posted by: PeterB
Date: May 09, 2006 06:05PM
Hey, congrats GeneL and everybody else...

Looking through the photos though, I'm having trouble identifying who's who. Is there a key anywhere?

And agreed, these waitresses/bartenders need to come here winking smiley

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: Dennis R
Date: May 09, 2006 06:44PM
PeterB, If you are driving down to the next luncheon in California, can you pick up me and my wife along the way. We are in Hamburg, New York. And I will try to keep the corny jokes to a minimum.

Dennis R
Posted by: PeterB
Date: May 09, 2006 06:47PM
Dennis R, that would be a slight problem, as I don't drive, nor do I own a car...

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: Stuffed Shirt
Date: May 09, 2006 06:51PM
I must admit, that I am very disappointed to hear of Gene's disapproval of my actions within this thread.

As I noted via PM to GeneL and in the first post within this thread, THE ONLY ITEMS REMOVED WERE THOSE WHICH WERE ABOUT THE FRUSTRATION EVERYONE WAS HAVING FINDING A PHOTO HOST. Nothing more.

That made the final post BEFORE the lunch.....flow directly into the first post AFTER the lunch, including the POSTED PHOTOS link.

Seeing as I have "altered the energy and the flow of our MR SoCal thread" - I will return the various postings were previously hidden, to "restore the energy."

As I also explained to GeneL, my actions this morning, which were for everyone's benefit, or so I thought. I specifically stated:

--------
I took the liberty this morning of shortening your subject line and
going into page 4 and removing all the posts where you were
searching for a means to get the photos online.

This has resulted in a clean page 4 that is nothing but smiles and great news/photos about the lunch!

Also -- I added a few lines to your first post to direct people to the
right areas and added a Moderator Footnote so you and everyone
would know why their posts vanished.

--------

It was my intention to provide for a special place on the Forum to permanently host the photos of all gatherings with a specific link. WHY? Stickies cannot sit upon the top of the Forum in perpetuity - and a perma-link hosted by the Forum was an ideal way for everyone to have access to the memories of the gathering. Apparently I was mistaken. Please accept my apologies.

There will be a standard established this week, regarding local gatherings - and time limits for stickies, pre and post event, which will be posted for future reference.

Posted by: $tevie
Date: May 09, 2006 06:53PM
GeneL Wrote:
> I will limit
> my animated smileys in the headings except perhaps
> at a point close to when the event is going to
> take place and then remove it just after we start
> the followups.
>
> Does that sound reasonable?

Sounds like a good compromise to me.
:-) <------ Old fashioned version.

Posted by: Dennis R
Date: May 09, 2006 06:57PM
PeterB, no excuses. You have plenty of time to get your license and a car. haha

Dennis R
Date: May 09, 2006 07:51PM
Stuffed Shirt Wrote:
> I must admit, that I am very disappointed to hear
> of Gene's disapproval of my actions within this
> thread.
> As I also explained to GeneL, my actions this
> morning, which were for everyone's benefit, or so
> I thought. I specifically stated:
>
> I took the liberty this morning of shortening your
> subject line and
> going into page 4 and removing all the posts where
> you were searching for a means to get the photos online.

GeneL's response: I clearly stated that I felt you meant well, but I also feel that these posts are the "creative expression" of the Members and as such shouldn't be altered without their approval. Doing so takes me back to what I was upset about when the DM administrators started changing things to suit themselves.

I feel that "Admins" often forget that members of the Forum are many times expressing some very personal feelings and ideas and that, unless what was posted is offensive by the standards of our community, no one should take it on themselves to edit and to censor what anyone has written, at least not without a private discussion of what and why a change might be desired.

> It was my intention to provide for a special place
> on the Forum to permanently host the photos of all
> gatherings with a specific link. WHY? Stickies
> cannot sit upon the top of the Forum in perpetuity
> - and a perma-link hosted by the Forum was an
> ideal way for everyone to have access to the
> memories of the gathering.

GeneL's response: Hosting the photos will be a great idea and I had previously PM'd Larry about doing this and received a very positive response which I appreciated. As I already said in a number of replies to PMs, I would love to see this happen.

> There will be a standard established this week,
> regarding local gatherings - and time limits for
> stickies, pre and post event, which will be posted
> for future reference.
>

GeneL's response: I greatly disagree with time limits for the planning and implementing special events.

With Members located all over the county and even the world (voodoopenguin in the UK!) we have to allow a great deal of time to decide what will make for the best EVENT and to allow time for EVERYONE to plan to attend.

Using the ability to edit the Heading allows me to keep the topic fresh and active over a period of time, as think I've clearly shown with the MR SoCal Lunch thread.

Please don't prevent me from doing even better with our next event. I promise to keep things interesting over the period of the next four months and I promise that our next EVENT will be historic if Members beyond MR SoCal participate.

While this might not happen (boo!), at least give me the opportunity to see if my idea that a lot of the Members outside of Southern California would like to attend if they have the time to plan and to save smiling smiley for it.

My final thoughts are that, Stuffed Shirt, you were helpful in the process of making the Lunch a success by making the original Post a sticky and by making a number of suggestions, some of which I used. As a matter of fact, SS, you said that this is how I should handle continuing the original thread with a link in my new topic.

My issue here is whether we as Members should have control of our own Creative process on the Forum, unless we cross the normal bounds of proper expression?

I definitely want to be able to apply my enthusiasm and creativity to making a success out of our next EVENT in a way that I determine is going to be most effective and not be limited by anyone who just has a different view than mine and is not matching my investment in making it a success.

As I always say, "that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

GeneL

PLEASE, make my new thread a STICKY!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 197
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020