AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Circumventing Router-Based Controls
Posted by: Sam*
Date: June 15, 2009 12:57PM
Poll
28 votes were received.
All visitors can vote.
Do you use parental controls on your computers?

I've got a new DLink DIR-655 and I'm mostly happy. I'm trying out their web-based "Securepoint 2.0" which gives you some better guis for the router than the built-in stuff. But mostly I'm interested in its parental control system which the router itself doesn't have. It's $30/year.

But here's the big question... I've got cable. Couldn't a savvy kid simply unplug the ethernet cable from the router, plug it into a computer directly, go into network settings, click on "Renew DCHP Lease" and voila, unfettered Internet access from Comcast?

Thanks,

Sam*

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/15/2009 12:57PM by Sam*.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Circumventing Router-Based Controls
Posted by: mattkime
Date: June 15, 2009 01:06PM
yes

Posted by: earache
Date: June 15, 2009 01:10PM
How about OpenDNS? Haven't tried it myself, but they do have some nice parental controls. Might not be as complete as other solutions though.

earache
Changing Networking Settings Can Be Locked on the iMac Itself
Date: June 15, 2009 01:23PM
To answer my own question...

My kids don't have admin passwords to their computers. They have their own logins. As the admin I've set it so that they can't change the Network Settings.

That does seem fairly rock solid. I think that means they'd have to have the admin password in order to circumvent the router.

I'll check into the OpenDNS stuff, that looks interesting.

Sam*
Re: Changing Networking Settings Can Be Locked on the iMac Itself
Posted by: graylocks
Date: June 15, 2009 01:33PM
Sam*

My kids don't have admin passwords to their computers. They have their own logins. As the admin I've set it so that they can't change the Network Settings.

That does seem fairly rock solid. I think that means they'd have to have the admin password in order to circumvent the router.

I'll check into the OpenDNS stuff, that looks interesting.

Sam*

i use router controls, parental controls, and OpenDNS. OpenDNS is slamdunk easy to implement. my son recently put windows on his iMac so apple parental controls aren't of use. he's yet to figure out how to get around the router or OpenDNS though. when you instal it, be sure to check blocking proxy servers.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/15/2009 01:34PM by graylocks.
Re: Changing Networking Settings Can Be Locked on the iMac Itself
Posted by: Fred_Also
Date: June 15, 2009 01:54PM
Sam*

Sam*

If you have the network setting set to use DHCP, and they plug the computer directly into the Comcast box, they will be able to surf anywhere they want.

You need to set up their computers to use a static address and on a different network than what is coming out of the Comcast box. In other words, make the internal address on your router something like 10.10.1.1 and the computers static at 10.10.1.2, 10.10.1.3 . . .

You can set up your router to issue DHCP numbers starting at 10.10.1.50 to 10.10.1.60 in case you have something like a TIVO adapter or other item that needs internet access.

But the kids computers need to be static so they will only connect on 10.10.1.2, etc.

Post back if you have questions.

Fred Also
Posted by: testcase
Date: June 15, 2009 02:26PM
NO, I practice birth control wink smiley
Posted by: kj4btkljv
Date: June 15, 2009 02:29PM
Another vote for OpenDNS

[www.opendns.com]

I run it at work and at home, and I even subscribed to a service through D-Link at the office. Terrible service, by the way. Great router, should have thoroughly checked out OpenDNS first...

Jeff
Posted by: Buzz
Date: June 15, 2009 03:41PM
serves you right for having savvy kids. though you should probably be thankful; I hear having less-than-savvy kids is whole lot worse. maybe just log all activity for a couple of weeks, review it, and have a chat w/ savvy kid as needed. the novelty of getting around what mom or dad doesn't want me to do wears off pretty fast; then the kid will be on to the next thing you don't want them to do...

Sometimes it is what it is...
and then there's times when it's really better.

==
Posted by: modelamac
Date: June 15, 2009 04:44PM
"Couldn't a savvy kid simply unplug the ethernet cable from the router, plug it into a computer directly, go into network settings, click on "Renew DCHP Lease" "

No. The modem will only recognize the router, and will only accept it as legit until you unplug the modem power cord. THEN AND ONLY THEN would it allow the Mac a direct internet connection. To get the router back in the mix, unplug the modem power cord again. and put the router in.

Gonna ask my Mother if that offer to slap
me into next year is still on the table.
Posted by: timg
Date: June 15, 2009 04:57PM
kj4btkljv
Another vote for OpenDNS

[www.opendns.com]

I run it at work and at home, and I even subscribed to a service through D-Link at the office. Terrible service, by the way. Great router, should have thoroughly checked out OpenDNS first...

Jeff

OpenDNS will only work until they figure out that all they have to do is change their DNS server settings to a different DNS server.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: June 15, 2009 05:43PM
timg

OpenDNS will only work until they figure out that all they have to do is change their DNS server settings to a different DNS server.

if internet access for any computer on a network is through a router to which only an admin has access, this is not possible. one of the ways to set up OpenDNS is to designate the DNS server at the router level.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Date: June 15, 2009 06:24PM
graylocks
timg

if internet access for any computer on a network is through a router to which only an admin has access, this is not possible. one of the ways to set up OpenDNS is to designate the DNS server at the router level.

That's not entirely true. If the computer is set to automatically retrieve the DNS servers through DHCP, then the router setup will force the OpenDNS servers. But, if you explicitly specify the DNS servers on the computer in question, then it effectively bypasses OpenDNS and its filterting, without touching the router.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/15/2009 06:24PM by timg.
Posted by: earache
Date: June 15, 2009 07:11PM
timg
graylocks
timg

That's not entirely true. If the computer is set to automatically retrieve the DNS servers through DHCP, then the router setup will force the OpenDNS servers. But, if you explicitly specify the DNS servers on the computer in question, then it effectively bypasses OpenDNS and its filterting, without touching the router.

But if Network Settings are locked down by the admin (which has been done) there won't be any way to modify the DNS servers.

earache
Date: June 15, 2009 07:35PM
earache
timg
graylocks
timg

But if Network Settings are locked down by the admin (which has been done) there won't be any way to modify the DNS servers.

Yes, if Network settings are locked on the computer, you are correct.

But, the previous post suggested that just setting the DNS on the router was sufficient. It's not.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: June 15, 2009 09:49PM
We use parental controls. Once in awhile this parent wants to go to a site that the parental controls stop me from visiting. Then I have to get one of the kids to bypass the parental controls so this parent can surf to the controlled site.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: June 16, 2009 11:36AM
Wow, what a great thread. Thanks for all the help (and the jokes too). I've added this to my delicious, will be a real resource.

Sam*
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 170
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018