Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $99.18 ( -1.57 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Troubleshooting Klipsch THX Speakers
Posted by: chopper
Date: June 15, 2009 03:56PM
I have an older set of Klipsch speakers connected to my G5. Two THX desktop units and a subwoofer <?> under my desk. Older stuff but seemed to work fine. Until my son "borrowed" them and hooked them up to a PC. I have re-hooked them up to my Mac again and the desktop speakers work seemingly fine, but the square under desk unit not so much. Even with the dial on the left desktop speaker (labeled "subwoofer" ) cranked, very little bass comes out of it. I've checked all the connections, and the fuse in the subwoofer. No joy.

Desktop speakers seem to work fine.

Before this swap the bass from the subwoofer would almost knock pictures from the walls. Now there is barely any perceptible sound coming from it.

Ideas, anyone?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/15/2009 03:56PM by chopper.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Troubleshooting Klipsch THX Speakers
Posted by: mikebw
Date: June 15, 2009 04:04PM
Let me guess, your son is a teenager?
Posted by: chopper
Date: June 15, 2009 04:11PM
100%.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: June 15, 2009 04:21PM
Probably something burned out on the amplifier for the sub. If the voice coil was burned out you would either hear nothing, or if the cone was torn you would hear a lot of flapping or distortion.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: June 15, 2009 06:50PM
Can't remember if there is a circuit breaker built into that sub (mine have been in storage for a while), but you might check for that. If no circuit breaker, check for a blown fuse.

It is what it is.
Posted by: Harbourmaster
Date: June 15, 2009 09:22PM
chopper
I've checked all the connections, and the fuse in the subwoofer. No joy.

Checked the cables???

Aloha, Ken

“I have developed significant attachments to several members even though I wouldn't recognize them if I sat next to one on a park bench. I'm often tempted when in an airport to walk around, hollering "The Løpe", to see if anyone other than the Homeland Security people will acknowledge me. ” - The Løpe

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/15/2009 09:23PM by Harbourmaster.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: June 16, 2009 03:06AM
N-OS X-tasy!
Can't remember if there is a circuit breaker built into that sub (mine have been in storage for a while), but you might check for that. If no circuit breaker, check for a blown fuse.

Sorry for the suggestion on the fuse - I missed in the OP where you said you already did. Pulled that from memory, though - not too bad, given I haven't used my speakers in over four years.

I would suggest checking polarity on the sub, but as it is a mono speaker that advice is not relevant in this instance. Cables would seem to be the most likely culprit.

It is what it is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/16/2009 03:08AM by N-OS X-tasy!.
Date: June 16, 2009 10:48AM
Ditto on checking the cables/connectors.
Posted by: sam ward
Date: June 16, 2009 11:01AM
This, among others, seems to be an ongoing problem, built in to the klipsch thx system; you are talking about the Promedia 2.1?
Did you check the pins in the lead going from the woofer to the speakers?
Posted by: sam ward
Date: June 16, 2009 11:02AM
Incidentally, Klipsch has the Promedia 2.1 back for sale. $150
Posted by: Dick Moore
Date: June 16, 2009 10:47PM
I think you're going to need some expert assistance here. Either the subwoofer amp is bad or the woofer itself is bad or both. it/they can be repaired/replaced, but you should get some help about exactly where the problem is.

I say this as an audio engineer and once upon a time, long-ago Klipsch associate.

What it is, man, a low-down and funky feelin'
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login