advertisement
Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $105.22 ( +0.39 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
How to make Finder window preferences stick ?
Posted by: lafinfil
Date: June 17, 2009 07:32AM
Recent late adaptor to 10.5 and I have a question about making Finder settings stick

My preference is to have a Finder window open in the column view. Once I set it that way using the
Finder window view option (always open in column) it is fine. If I restart the computer it reverts back to icon view.

It is a fairly fresh install - about a month old and fully up to date

Seems that the is a plist file that I can trash to correct this but I can't determine which one

Any answers ?

Thanks !

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: How to make Finder window preferences stick ?
Posted by: yeoman
Date: June 17, 2009 07:34AM
Open a window, set as you want and THEN change the size by dragging bottom right, then close. See if that works.
Date: June 17, 2009 07:47AM
Didn't work - restart reverts back to icon view

Once I have set it to open in column view in the finder options it is fine - loses it on restart

: - (

Posted by: Doc
Date: June 17, 2009 07:50AM
Are you referring to window for a specific folder or are you referring to "Finder window" generically to mean all or most folder-windows in the Finder?
Date: June 17, 2009 08:09AM
Generic finder window - not application window

Date: June 17, 2009 08:41AM
lafinfil
Generic finder window - not application window

It's still not clear: Are you referring to a Finder window for a specific folder/directory?

If you are then the "Always open in..." view setting should work. It is applied at the directory-level via .DS_STORE files.

If you do not set that option for each folder then the last view that you used when looking at the contents of that folder will probably be what you see the next time you navigate to that folder.

If you prefer that all folder windows open with a specific view ( excepting those that you set otherwise via "Always open in..." ) then after you have configured the view settings as you prefer them for a single window, click the "Use as Default" button at the bottom of the view-options window.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2009 08:41AM by Doc.
Date: June 17, 2009 09:00AM
Doc

It is when I am opening a finder window to navigate drive and folder - click on desktop and command +n for new window
or double click on the HD icon to open a window. If I set it to columns at that point it sticks, but if I restart (or quit and restart finder for testing purposes)
it reverts back to icon view.

Default button is grayed out when in icon view and if I change and check "always open column view"
then the default button disappears altogether. I tried various sequences of opening, closing and changing view
but there is no point that gives me an option to make columns a default view.

Date: June 17, 2009 09:16AM

Default button is grayed out when in icon view and if I change and check "always open column view"
then the default button disappears altogether.

Sometimes the view window doesn't get refreshed properly.

Change the view setting on a specific folder-window to column view before you open the view options window and when you subsequently open the view options window you should see that "Always open with..." reflects the current view and "Use as Defaults" is not grayed out.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2009 09:17AM by Doc.
Date: June 17, 2009 09:27AM
Doc
Change the view setting on a specific folder-window to column view before you open the view options window and when you subsequently open the view options window you should see that "Always open with..." reflects the current view and "Use as Defaults" is not grayed out.

I tried that way (as well as other sequences) and there is no default button at all

The only time default button is visible is after restart, opening in icon view (self defaults) and then
the default button is grayed out. Is there a file or plist I can trash?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2009 09:29AM by lafinfil.
Date: June 17, 2009 09:29AM
WHAT VERSION of 10.5 are you running?
Date: June 17, 2009 09:31AM
Version 10.5.7 - installed from disks that came with the computer (mac mini)

It has been that way since I got it a month ago and I did a fresh install and upgrades when I got it

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2009 09:32AM by lafinfil.
Date: June 17, 2009 09:38AM
So far as I know, the only time that the "Use as Defaults" button is absent from the view options window is when you are setting the view for the Desktop.

It's sometimes grayed out, but never otherwise absent.

The only thing that I can think of offhand to try and bring it back would be to try trashing the com.apple.finder.plist file from the ~/Library/Preferences folder and if that doesn't work, do a safe-boot and reinstall the 10.5.7 update from the combo updater.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2009 09:42AM by Doc.
Date: June 17, 2009 09:48AM
Must be a quirk in my system Doc

Thanks for the help !

Posted by: wolfcry911
Date: June 17, 2009 11:58AM
After making the change to the column view, do you navigate through the window or close it? Try making the change and closing immediately, then re-open and navigate.
Date: June 17, 2009 02:27PM
I close it right away

The column view sticks until restart

Posted by: motopsyco
Date: June 19, 2009 11:48PM
One thing I've learned is to hold down the option key while making view changes in the finder window. Early on I had trouble keeping column spacing, hold down the option key and set the column width, done. Just now I set the window size displayed by using the option key and dragging the window to the size I want, otherwise every time I open the finder window it reverts to the original size.

Cheers!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login