advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Craigslist Chislers really rattle my cage! <rant>
Posted by: Harbourmaster
Date: June 17, 2009 03:18PM
Man it really irks me when I am selling something well below market value on Craigslist and when the buyer shows up to pick it up they just have to try and beat me down on the price!

Just this morning I sold a really nice Solid Wood writing desk. I'm talking SOLID WALNUT made by Sligh - Lowry in Michigan, dovetailed joints, wooden drawer bottoms, inlaid leather top, not a spec of particle board in this thing! Easily worth $2-300 I listed it for $100.00 because I needed it gone in a hurry.

Got a call within 10 minutes of posting and the guy says he will take it, don't sell it to anybody else, he is on his way to get it right now!

I had to leave for work before he shows up. Once he gets there my wife tells me that he took every drawer out of the thing to inspect them, even turned the desk upside down to make sure there was no particle board anyplace. Once he has done all of that he offers her $40! because one of the drawer pulls is missing! Perhaps he thought he could bully her into taking less since I was not there, but he wouldn't budge past $50 with her so she called me on the phone to deal with him. After about 5 minutes of back and forth with me insisting that the desk was a steal at the $100 price I listed it at I had him up to $85. When he said he wouldn't go any higher I told him to forget it, he could drive the 25 miles home empty handed and I would sell it to the next person that called and hung up the phone.

The wife called me back about 20 minutes latter saying that he had changed his mind and took the desk for the $100 asking price.

It really just get's me worked up when people do this, even though the price you are asking for an item is more than fair.

If you want something for free then hang out on FreeCycle... </rant>

Aloha, Ken

“I have developed significant attachments to several members even though I wouldn't recognize them if I sat next to one on a park bench. I'm often tempted when in an airport to walk around, hollering "The Løpe", to see if anyone other than the Homeland Security people will acknowledge me. ” - The Løpe
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Craigslist Chislers really rattle my cage! <rant>
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: June 17, 2009 03:19PM
It's called negotiation. Some people are better at it than others. If you don't like it, either set your asking price higher knowing you're going to be chewed down 50%, or stay out of the bazaar.
Posted by: Harbourmaster
Date: June 17, 2009 03:24PM
If I am open for negotiation then I will say so in my ad with a line like:

Make Offer or OBO

If the person had tried to negotiate a lower price on the phone before they agreed to the purchase that would be on thing, but this guy did not. The only concern that he expressed on the phone was that the desk was really solid wood and not particle board with veneer over it.

Aloha, Ken

“I have developed significant attachments to several members even though I wouldn't recognize them if I sat next to one on a park bench. I'm often tempted when in an airport to walk around, hollering "The Løpe", to see if anyone other than the Homeland Security people will acknowledge me. ” - The Løpe

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2009 03:24PM by Harbourmaster.
Posted by: decay
Date: June 17, 2009 03:28PM
let the person know that you will only accept the agreed-upon price once you set the appointment. no re-negs.

---
Posted by: AAA
Date: June 17, 2009 03:28PM
I hate negotiations. Period.
And I even went to profession purchasing/negotiations training in Chicago. And I still hate it. I just find it demoralizing.
Posted by: hal
Date: June 17, 2009 03:29PM
cbelt3
It's called negotiation. Some people are better at it than others. If you don't like it, either set your asking price higher knowing you're going to be chewed down 50%, or stay out of the bazaar.

no way! the negotiation is over when they say, "I'll take it - don't sell it to anyone else"

I wish your wife had refused to sell it to him...
Posted by: decay
Date: June 17, 2009 03:31PM
hal
cbelt3

no way! the negotiation is over when they say, "I'll take it - don't sell it to anyone else"

I wish your wife had refused to sell it to him...

exactly. negotiation is via email/phone before the meetup, unless you agree otherwise.

---
Posted by: artie67
Date: June 17, 2009 04:06PM
Too bad your a little too distant from Northridge. I could have Mr. Mongo .6'4", 265 lbs. , lots of Hawaiian tatoos, and red hair(irish), along to aid in the matter. He's my business partner and usually all negotations go smoothly. Would you mind PMing me on a South Bay matter not related to this subject? thanks
Posted by: Microman
Date: June 17, 2009 04:10PM
The guy was looking and probably was drooling over the desk, taking up your wifes time, hoping that once she had some time into it, that she would say ALL RIGHT, whatever....

The guy knew he had a good deal at 100. He knew it. IT was only 10 minutes and he rushed out. He will either use it, or return to his Antique Store, and place it on the floor, with a price tag of $375.00 or higher, and when someone says that it has a piece missing he will say THAT IS THE PRICE, and he will be firm.

Sounds like a nice desk.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2009 05:04PM by Microman.
Posted by: wurm
Date: June 17, 2009 04:43PM
I hate to say it, but nowadays if you don't want to deal with negotiators, you need to add FIRM or NOT NEGOTIABLE or something similar in the listing. Still no guarantees they won't try, but then you'll feel better about sending them away empty-handed. smiling smiley
Posted by: RE:up
Date: June 17, 2009 04:45PM
decay
exactly. negotiation is via email/phone before the meetup, unless you agree otherwise.

When I buy I always tell the seller that the price we agree upon by phone or email is OK, if the object is as described and that the final price is subject to visual inspection before money changes hands. I would never agree to buy something on CL sight unseen. If the advertised price if “firm“, then I know that it’s take it or leave it.

That said, if Harbourmaster's buyer had showed up and made such a ridiculous offer, I would have immediately told him, with all sincerity,

“Well, just for you, I’ll let it go for $125.”

And at the first sign of complaint, the price would go up to $135, and so on.

If after a few rounds of that, I might, if I was feeling magnanimous, acquiesce to his begging and groveling to sell it to him for $100. Otherwise I’d be telling him in my best Clint Eastwood imitation, to get off my lawn. ;)

Anyway, thats how I negotiate with jerks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2009 04:54PM by RE:up.
Posted by: sunfalcon
Date: June 17, 2009 05:42PM
Exactly - price negotiated before you make the trip.

If he said he'll take it - the negotiation is over - sold for $100.
Posted by: MysteryGuest
Date: June 17, 2009 06:41PM
Sound like a nice desk, but it kind of creeps me out that you left your wife alone with this loon.

I'm really not brave enough for Craig's list.

I tried to get rid of some stuff via FreeCycle, but the folks who called were too weird.

I guess I'm only cut out for Amazon and eBay. I just don't have the nerve any more for direct human contact with total strangers in isolated contexts. Different when I was younger. I once met a man in a dark parking lot to buy a gray market copy of Photoshop.
Posted by: vicrock
Date: June 17, 2009 07:23PM
I think if I had been your wife, I would have told him when he called back that the price was now $150.
Posted by: Michael
Date: June 17, 2009 09:45PM
MysteryGuest
Sound like a nice desk, but it kind of creeps me out that you left your wife alone with this loon.

I'm really not brave enough for Craig's list.

I tried to get rid of some stuff via FreeCycle, but the folks who called were too weird.

I guess I'm only cut out for Amazon and eBay. I just don't have the nerve any more for direct human contact with total strangers in isolated contexts. Different when I was younger. I once met a man in a dark parking lot to buy a gray market copy of Photoshop.

I keep talking about doing things with Craigslist, but I wont--I'm not even cut out for Amazon or eBay! I either take stuff to the local fleamarket or give it to the Goodwill. My current problem is a hot tub/spa that needs new electrics and pump and should go on Craigslist for a couple of hundred bucks. I'll likely just cut it up and haul it away some day.
Posted by: AAA
Date: June 17, 2009 10:00PM
I hear you. I'd almost rather throw stuff out than deal with people.
And I usually just give it to Goodwill.
Posted by: norse
Date: June 18, 2009 03:43PM
Be careful in taking cash. Apparently fake 20s are being used to purchase CL items. Use a counterfeit pen.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 253
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020