advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
HARD DRIVE: hope or hosed?
Posted by: goodmanx
Date: June 18, 2009 07:47PM
an external firewire hard drive (not the startup drive) will not mount on our ppc mini. when i run disk utility from the boot drive it finds the drive, but not the named volume on the drive and i can't verify, repair, etc. when i try to open disk warrior from the boot drive, it stalls while "scanning for disks" and a force quite command tells me that disk warrior is not responding, so all i can do is force quit. i get the same results with running disk utility and disk warrior when i connect the problem drive to the mini and to an intel imac.

if you think that there is hope for this drive, please let me know what might be wrong and what to do to fix it.

if you think the drive is hosed, please tell me what's wrong and why there's no hope in fixing it.

thanx!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: HARD DRIVE: hope or hosed?
Posted by: mattkime
Date: June 18, 2009 07:52PM
can you try it in another enclosure?

Posted by: lafinfil
Date: June 18, 2009 08:25PM
Hi goodmanx - welcome to the forum

Can you hear the drive spinning up and heads reading ? If so you might tr another enclosure like matt suggested.

I recently had a drive die (internal in tower) and had no luck with DW but was able to recover data with Data Rescue.
Actually I was surprised that it could recover anything but it found about everything on the drive.

Might give it a try if someone doesn't come up with a better idea

Shameless plug for our sponsor ---- > [eshop.macsales.com]

Posted by: fauch
Date: June 19, 2009 03:23AM
Try it in a different enclosure or in a computer...

Is it making strange noises???
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 201
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018