advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
sprucing up the closets
Posted by: lazydays
Date: June 24, 2009 01:10PM
I've been considering a closet kit from costco, has anyone gone down this road, any advice or alternatives? Thanks

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: sprucing up the closets
Posted by: WHiiP
Date: June 24, 2009 01:18PM
I got a couple of closet kits from Sam's Club. [www.samsclub.com]

I put them in my Master closet in my house. I love them. I custom configured my arrangement and couldn't be more pleased.

It is a pain to install since you have critical alignments, but take you time and it all comes together nicely.

Bill
Flagler Beach, FL 32136

Carpe Vino!

Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire.
— David Rains Wallace
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: June 24, 2009 01:27PM
sorry, but every time I see a closet like that I think, "who the hell has a closet that neat?"

IOW, it always looks better in pictures than in real life. but, I need the same thing, so let us know what you do.
Posted by: gabester
Date: June 24, 2009 01:31PM
I don't know but it's been a goal to get the closes around here spruced up as well... that kit looks nice! However, I'd be concerned that it wastes too much space. Every inch of the closet must be used!
g=
Posted by: AAA
Date: June 24, 2009 01:35PM
When I was house hunting, I came across a house that was the most anally retentively organized house I could imagine. It made the closet above look like crap. The whole house. Every closer, every drawer, every pair of underwear, every dress shirt, etc. It was amazing.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: June 24, 2009 01:49PM
Lazy,

I looked at the cost of closet kits and individual components from places like BJs, Costco and Home Depot. In the end, they aren't nearly as inexpensive as they sound upon first glance. Factor in all of the cost of materials and the time and agita of installing the system and it's really not that much less expensive than having a professional closet company come in and do the closets for you and be done with it.

I have two _monstrous_ closets in the bedroom of my apartment. Each is approximately 5.5' wide, 24" deep and 9.6" tall. Each closet has two 8' doors that open French style. I wanted a closet system that would make the absolute most out of the space since storage is a premium in an apartment. After serious consideration, I had a closet company do the job for me. Each closet now has ample shelves, bars for hanging clothing and an insane amount of flexibility, too. The entire system is freestanding.

There is no way I could have done the job DYI style and achieved the same level of quality. Even then, the amount I might have saved overall was about $100 to $200 at best. That kind of savings wasn't cost effective especially since the end result would have likely lacked the features and flexibility I designed into the system.

Custom closet companies are hurting for work right now. You can definitely haggle to reduce the price or get extras that you'd have to pay additional for under other circumstances.

Robert
Posted by: mikebw
Date: June 24, 2009 02:27PM
I bought a very similar kit from Costco earlier this year and it looks great. We decided to redo the whole closet area along with the shelving unit. I have some pics at home I will try to post later.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: June 24, 2009 04:06PM
Can't you just make something similar to the top pic out of plywood and 1X12 pine and some 3/4 rods? I'm looking at a closet my Dad had the carpenters build and it's more organized and utilized that that picture. It is nothing more than stained 1X12 pine and stripping and 3/4" galvanized clothes rods. It doesn't have the shelves, but the bathroom shelves could have been easily built for the closet. The cost of professionals doing it is outrageous. Design it on graph paper and get a saw and hammer some lumber and get to it.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: June 24, 2009 04:17PM
Dennis S
Can't you just make something similar to the top pic out of plywood and 1X12 pine and some 3/4 rods? I'm looking at a closet my Dad had the carpenters build and it's more organized and utilized that that picture. It is nothing more than stained 1X12 pine and stripping and 3/4" galvanized clothes rods. It doesn't have the shelves, but the bathroom shelves could have been easily built for the closet. The cost of professionals doing it is outrageous. Design it on graph paper and get a saw and hammer some lumber and get to it.

some people would rather write a check, or swipe their plastic.
Robert M . . .
Date: June 24, 2009 04:32PM
Generically speaking, put me in the ballpark of what you spent on one of your closets that was done professionally.

Just wonderin' . . .

Bill
Flagler Beach, FL 32136

Carpe Vino!

— David Rains Wallace
Date: June 24, 2009 04:35PM
Dennis,

That's easier said than done. For example, the system in the pic has many limitations as well as a slew of wasted space. It also looks like a off the shelf model that requires a hanging system to secure it to the wall. Definitely more complex to do it right than just plywood and steel rods.

Robert
Date: June 24, 2009 04:39PM
Whip,

My system was about $1000 or so. I could not have produced a similar system with off the shelf materials for much less than that amount of $$$. No special drawers. No special shoe racks or tie racks and other such fluff. Some of that kind of stuff actually takes away from the usable space in a closet.

The system in my bedroom is just shelves and rods, designed in a manner that allows me to move the shelves up and down and from section to section to suit my needs. Each closet has a top shelf that goes clear across the width. Great for storing comforters and boxes of items I don't use often. Currently, I have an area rug stored on the top shelf of one of the closets.

I can tell you without a doubt, I could never have done as nice a job myself. My work even at its best and done with care over whatever time was necessary to do it right would've been amateurish in comparison. Closet systems done well will pay for themselves in the long run, especially if it's in an apartment.

Robert

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2009 04:44PM by Robert M.
Date: June 24, 2009 05:06PM
Whip,

For the sake of discussion, I found a DYI closet site on the web called easyclosets.com and used to create closets alone the lines of mine. They offer systems that use similar materials to those used in mine. Some key differences: it is hung on the wall rather than freestanding. Unlike in mine, the sections do not go all the way down to the floor and they lack a base.

My left closet is a basic system that has shelves and rods in three sections. Working within the limitations of their system, I designed my left closet. It lacks some of the shelves in my system and lacks the flexibility to add them in the future. These are 14" depth. Mine are 16" depth. Easyclosets.com doesn't allow for 16" depth. This is for 96" height closets. Mine are 115 or so inches. They priced the system for the left closet at $340.66.

I designed the right closet which is two sections of rods and shelves. 14" depth since they do not allow for 16" depth. The system lacks some of the shelves and flexibility of my actual system. They priced it at $324.06.

I'm already at nearly $675 dollar and the system lacks some of the features of mine and I'd have to install it myself into the cinderblock wall of my apartment. Bump up the price to account for 115" height closets.

Robert

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2009 05:08PM by Robert M.
Posted by: artie67
Date: June 24, 2009 05:23PM
Looks pretty good. Can you get more shelves to add across the top? If not, you can add wire shelves and spray them to match. Nix on the 1x12 pine shelves and galvanized poles. Melamine and chrome are the choice on a budget. I'm the cabinetmaker they call when the guys that advertise give the client second thoughts. Things to look for are full-extension slides on the drawers (probably not), and adjustable shelves. Notice that the example is in an alcove and has do door, sliders, or bi-folds. Take your situation regarding the drawer pull-out into account in the design.
Date: June 24, 2009 08:41PM
Thanks for the feedback, Robert. I bought mine from Sam's Club. I got two sets to use and it resulted in 7 feet of double hung rods (up and down), one vertical set of shelves behind two sets of glass fronted doors. Then 6 feet of double hung rods and one vertical set of shelves that I used as shoe storage. Including shipping mine came to $1,000 bucks as well . . . I think I have a larger closet but I did have to do all of the work. But, they still came out great.

It sounds like you did fine as well.

smoking smiley

Bill
Flagler Beach, FL 32136

Carpe Vino!

— David Rains Wallace
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: June 24, 2009 10:49PM
"That's easier said than done. For example, the system in the pic has many limitations as well as a slew of wasted space."

I know. You can design it much better yourself with lumber. For instance, my closet has a 1 x 12 running along the floor high enough for shoes underneath. So, there's 8 square feet gained right there.
Date: June 25, 2009 07:27AM
Dennis,

Exactly! I'd actually give the system a base and then put the shelf above it. A base gives the system a finished appearance. Many of the off-the-shelf system do not go all the way down to the floor and do not allow for a base and/or a shelf along the bottom. DYI closets done with lumber and rods requires careful planning else they suffer from similar and more limitations.

The closets in my parents house were DYI jobs done with lumber and rods. The person who did the work did a nice job overall. It's held up well over the years but is functional at best and lacks flexibility and definitely doesn't look as professional as a system from a place like Costco, easyclosets.com or a professional closet company. For example, my parents can't raise and lower and/or remove entirely the shelves and rods to suit their changing needs.

Robert
Date: June 25, 2009 07:41AM
Whiip,

I made out like a bandit and probably would've done even better if I had the closet work done now! In this economy, I'm willing to bet custom closet companies would be even more willing to negotiate the price or, at the least, throw in a slew of extras at no additional cost, i.e. extra rods, shelves, etc.

The average estimate for the work I had done in my place was $1500 to $2000. It took some negotiating and a minor modification or two of my design to bring the price down to where I felt it was at a level I could afford while maintaining the flexibility I felt was vital for the space. The designer developed the initial layout. I took the design and modified it to suit what I wanted in the system.

The designer actually did a great job. The only modification I made was to separate the left closet into three sections instead of just two. I made one narrow section suitable for long hanging clothing with one shelf just above the base, i.e. long overcoat and shoes. I divided the rest of the closet into two equal width sections. One has two rods. The other section has a single rod and lots of shelves.

The other closet is two equal length sections. One section has two rods. The other section has one rod and lots of shelves. Both sections have a base. There is a long shelf along the top of both sections.

I'm very pleased with the end result. Very very pleased. It's not perfect. If I had to do it all over again I'd make the width of the narrow section in the left closet two or three inches longer. That's about it, though. It's perfect otherwise.

I'll try and post some pics when circumstances allow.

Robert

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2009 07:43AM by Robert M.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 276
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018