Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $100.96 ( -0.83 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Old fashioned checkbook registers?
Posted by: AlphaDog
Date: June 24, 2009 03:20PM
A while back, somebody was looking for some. I just cleaned out a drawer and have a stack of seven. Anybody want them?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Old fashioned checkbook registers?
Posted by: mattkime
Date: June 24, 2009 03:54PM
find them next to the buggy whips?

VTPKL it!
Posted by: Racer X
Date: June 24, 2009 04:02PM
laugh it up. Real checkbook registers and original cancelled checks carry significant weight in an IRS audit. Anyone with a computer can fake some website print-outs of an account.
Posted by: Dakota
Date: June 24, 2009 04:09PM
Checks always come with a register. They haven't exactly disappeared.
Date: June 24, 2009 04:10PM
mattkime
find them next to the buggy whips?

Nah, the buggy whip is still out in the carriage house. That horse is getting pretty old and needs to be threatened every once in a while. smiling smiley
Date: June 24, 2009 04:16PM
I thought that whip was for your "stable boy".
Posted by: WHiiP
Date: June 24, 2009 04:27PM
Racer X
I thought that whip was for your "stable boy".

HEY! ! ! ! ! ! Let's go easy on the "whip" references, OK? ? ? ? ? ?

Sheesh. . . . . . . . . . .

drink smiley

Bill
Flagler Beach, FL 32136

Carpe Vino!

Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire.
— David Rains Wallace
Posted by: testcase
Date: June 24, 2009 04:27PM
I get a check register every year from my bank free of charge. This way, one register covers one year. The new register also has the current year's calendar and, calendars for the next two years. I find it convenient to have those future calendars handy.
Posted by: 3d
Date: June 24, 2009 04:32PM
It sounds like someone here has not balanced his/her checkbook for ohhhh,,, seven years smiling smiley
Posted by: wurm
Date: June 24, 2009 04:35PM
AlphaDog, there was a time when I would have snatched up that offer in a second. But last time I ran out I realized that all I had to do was stop at the bank and ask for a couple of them and they were happy to oblige.

But very nice of you to offer them.
Date: June 24, 2009 04:54PM
wurm
AlphaDog, there was a time when I would have snatched up that offer in a second. But last time I ran out I realized that all I had to do was stop at the bank and ask for a couple of them and they were happy to oblige.

But very nice of you to offer them.

That's what my bank does, but I didn't remember who had been asking about the registers so didn't want to embarrass anybody.

These little fellas are on their way to the recycling bin.

And I bet I balance my checkbook more often than most of you. I'm disgustingly well organized in that regard. When you have limited money, you take these things very seriously and don't want to make any mistakes! smiling smiley
Date: June 24, 2009 05:00PM
and paying fees and penalties when you have limited funds just pisses you off too. I know it does to me. I can afford them when I have to, but I hate it when it is because of my own laziness or stupidity.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: June 24, 2009 05:53PM
Racer X
laugh it up. Real checkbook registers and original cancelled checks carry significant weight in an IRS audit. Anyone with a computer can fake some website print-outs of an account.

How hard would it be to create a fake check register, for that matter? I'm sure it has been done.

Posted by: M>B>
Date: June 24, 2009 05:55PM
I hate being dinged for unexpected fees. When that happens I go to the bank and ask to close out my account, they ask me why and tell them it was a unplanned fee. Then they make the fee disappear!
Posted by: JoeH
Date: June 24, 2009 07:50PM
Racer X

Unfortunately these days you no longer get back the original cancelled check. The most you get is a printout of a scan made when it was processed by the clearing house.

Date: June 24, 2009 10:55PM
JoeH
Racer X

Unfortunately these days you no longer get back the original cancelled check. The most you get is a printout of a scan made when it was processed by the clearing house.

My bank still returns the actual check about 80% of the time. I get mine back with my statements. the rest are generated copies.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: June 25, 2009 07:39AM
Then your bank is unusual, current rules(federal) for the clearing houses no longer require return of the cancelled check to the paying bank. Those rule changes went in place at least 4-5 years ago. Some companies have also adopted use of a regulation that allows them to submit checks for bill payments electronically. They just have to keep an image scan in their records for a year or two, and do not send back either the scan or the paper check. You would not even get a generated copy back with your statement. Their billing statement will include a notice that paying by check will be considered authorization to process it as an EFT. The regulation change was meant to decrease costs of sorting and moving the actual paper around the country.

Date: June 25, 2009 10:22AM
WaMu, now Chase. Not sure if Chase will kill the option.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login