advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
11 Beautiful Train Stations That Fell To The Wrecking Ball
Posted by: the_poochies
Date: June 26, 2009 10:52AM
Everyone is familiar with the destruction of McKim Mead & White's Penn Station in Manhattan in the mid-1960s and the cramped, blah train station/sports arena/office building that replaced it.

Here's a great post from The Infrastructurist about 11 railroad stations that were demolished in the name of "progress" and were replaced with ugly icons of postwar urban planning (office buildings, parking lots, etc.).

Six more stations were recently added.

I've traveled to or through a few of these cities via Amtrak or commuter rail, and there's few things more depressing than arriving in a major American city and embarking into a tiny, utilitarian Amshack
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: 11 Beautiful Train Stations That Fell To The Wrecking Ball
Posted by: Wags
Date: June 26, 2009 11:11AM
Its a shame that more folks don't value the wonderful old buildings. There were a whole lot of crappy aluminum and glass buildings thrown up in the 60's to replace really fine old buildings. I think it was Jackie Kennedy-Onasis that is credited with saving the station in DC from such a fate. We've got a nice station here in Portland, OR that has been renovated and placed on the National Historic Registry.

Posted by: Fred_Also
Date: June 26, 2009 11:43AM
Here's one that was close to me. (Wichita Falls, TX) Gone now - there is a railroad display there.

Fred Also
Posted by: MysteryGuest
Date: June 26, 2009 12:21PM
the_poochies
I've traveled to or through a few of these cities via Amtrak or commuter rail, and there's few things more depressing than arriving in a major American city and embarking into a tiny, utilitarian Amshack

Amen.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: June 26, 2009 12:37PM
there are some things that are truly embarrassing about the city I love
Posted by: voodoopenguin
Date: June 26, 2009 12:54PM
Some lovely buildings there. Looking at the before and after picture of the Atlanta Union Station it struck me how well people parked years ago.

Posted by: freeradical
Date: June 26, 2009 01:12PM
I once stayed in a hotel that originally had been a train station. They kept as much as possible of the old building for the common areas of the hotel. It was pretty neat.
Posted by: DavidS
Date: June 26, 2009 01:19PM
One of my favorite train stations that did NOT meet the wrecking ball (thanks in part to Jerry Springer). Cincinnati Museum Center (still used as a train station also).

David-
Posted by: pdq
Date: June 26, 2009 03:11PM
Man, I just think that whole art-deco/arts&crafts or whatever it is architecture of the 30's is still about the most beautiful stuff out there.

Thanks for the photo.
Posted by: jh
Date: June 26, 2009 05:04PM
freeradical
I once stayed in a hotel that originally had been a train station. They kept as much as possible of the old building for the common areas of the hotel. It was pretty neat.

Union Station in Nashville, TN is like that. Beautiful hotel now. I remember it as a train station when I was growing up. Boarded a few trains there--The South Wind comes to mind. Lots of history in that building. Interesting note about The Pan American that passed through the station each day. WSM radio from around 1933 to 1945 would broadcast at 5:08 PM each afternoon the whistle and sound of the Pan American locomotive as he went by the transmitter tower just south of Nashville on its way to Birmingham.
Posted by: djroga3
Date: June 26, 2009 06:19PM
DavidS
One of my favorite train stations that did NOT meet the wrecking ball (thanks in part to Jerry Springer). Cincinnati Museum Center (still used as a train station also).

That is a place I love. too far from me to get there often, but it is a great place to visit and just plain fun.
Posted by: DaviDC.
Date: June 26, 2009 06:27PM
There's a special place in hell for the men responsible for the destruction of old train stations.

I'm glad I was able to experience the train station in Birmingham before it was demolished.

Posted by: JoeH
Date: June 26, 2009 08:08PM
DaviDC.
There's a special place in hell for the men responsible for the destruction of old train stations.

Would that be the line to board coach on Airline Diablo? devil smiley

Posted by: ka jowct
Date: June 26, 2009 09:05PM
I think it was Jackie Kennedy-Onasis that is credited with saving the station in DC from such a fate.

Don't think so. She was instrumental in saving New York's Grand Central Station, though. It is magnificent. The renovation was wonderful.

It kills me to think of what was done to Penn Station.

And let's not forget the imbeciles who wanted to demolish Carnegie Hall.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: June 26, 2009 11:09PM
Luckily our Depot in Salisbury was saved and renovated:

Grateful11
Posted by: Octave Doctor
Date: June 26, 2009 11:41PM
We still have our train station--a little one story brick job that now is a relay point for our county bus system.

Lucky for the bricks, or the winos would've burned it down a long time ago.
Posted by: ADent
Date: June 27, 2009 01:53PM
Saw some photos of Detroit's train station - looks like it should have been wrecked years ago.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 222
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018