The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $102.47 ( +2.71 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
How often to reboot a wifi router
Posted by: kap
Date: July 05, 2009 07:11PM
When and how often should one do it?

West San Gabriel Valley, California ... for the time being :-)
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: How often to reboot a wifi router
Posted by: Doc
Date: July 05, 2009 07:19PM
When it stops working. When it seems to be slowing down traffic. When you reset your cable modem.
Posted by: Forrest
Date: July 05, 2009 07:33PM
IMHO wireless routers should be very reliable. If you need to reboot more often than once every 3 months - it's time to start looking for a replacement.
Posted by: kap
Date: July 05, 2009 07:36PM
Forrest
IMHO wireless routers should be very reliable. If you need to reboot more often than once every 3 months - it's time to start looking for a replacement.

If that is the case, I should be looking for a replacement soon. Any sales on Buffalo brand?

West San Gabriel Valley, California ... for the time being :-)
Posted by: deckeda
Date: July 05, 2009 07:40PM
I have an unused one I should sell, 'cause it got replaced with a Time Capsule. Just get one with the Broadcom chip if 802.11g is good enough. I just bought the ASUS and have been fooling around with it, [www.newegg.com] Search this forum for recent discussions about it (it's got a USB port.)
Posted by: DaviDC.
Date: July 05, 2009 07:43PM
As often as necessary.
I've gone weeks without rebooting it.

Posted by: mattkime
Date: July 05, 2009 07:51PM
if you can remember the last time you rebooted your router, you're doing it too frequently. It should be possible to go a year without rebooting.

The asus linked to above is quite good. Its what I'd get unless I needed a particularly strong signal, then i'd get the buffalo "HP" model.

VTPKL it!
Posted by: Doc
Date: July 05, 2009 08:22PM
What's the symptom that you're trying to address by rebooting the router?

Lots of annoying problems can be surmounted by using fixed IP addresses, manually configuring DNS info in a Mac's Network pref's and lowering the beacon interval on the router.
Date: July 05, 2009 08:34PM
>>Lots of annoying problems can be surmounted by using fixed IP addresses, manually configuring DNS info in a Mac's Network pref's and lowering the beacon interval on the router.

not to mention incense and feathers!

sorry, i just tried to image what that advice would sound like to a technophobe.
Posted by: AlphaDog
Date: July 05, 2009 08:35PM
I've learned that not all problems are coming from the router, even though you might get a temporary fix by messing with it. Don't dump the router until you're sure it's the problem. I never have to reboot my Linksys unless something has happened to knock it offline. When the last router quit working, it just plain didn't work any more - no messing around with intermittent problems. At one time I was having a problem that I thought was the router, but it turned out to be interference from a piece of equipment my husband was using. Have you eliminated all of those possibilities?
Posted by: space-time
Date: July 05, 2009 09:02PM
I have my router plugged into an APC UPS to survive the small pitages that happend every few weeks, and I only reboot when I make changes, otherwise I think it was running 6 months without reboot.
Posted by: JEBB
Date: July 05, 2009 10:16PM
My Apple Extreme Base Station has worked for years only needing a reboot once in a while. It was more expensive, but like most Apple products easy to use and durable.
Posted by: binky
Date: July 05, 2009 10:18PM
I used to have a Netgear router that I would have to reboot with increasing frequency until I was having to reboot it nearly every day. This got very old as the router (it was a wired router) was in the basement, and my office was upstairs on the second floor. Finally got rid of it... haven't had to reboot the new router since.

Bink.
Posted by: ADent
Date: July 05, 2009 10:23PM
My DSL modem needs rebooting around 4 times a year and a Nintendo DS WiFi will kill it weekly - WiFi is now off.

Can't think of the last time I rebooted my Linksys (even running Tomato).

My SMC POS rebooted maybe monthly towards the end of its life.

The kids $10 Linksys needs it about once a month or two - typically with heavy WiFi usage.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: July 05, 2009 10:57PM
My Macsense router was set to reboot every year. I would forget about this and found it to be a pain to get it and my WiFi back up and running, thinking there was a real problem to diagnose. I now have it set to reboot every 10 years.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: h linamen
Date: July 06, 2009 06:13AM
I'm new to wireless macBook use and am using a fairly old netgear MR814v2 802.11b My cable comes into the netgear and then connects to an intel imac. My new macBook seems to run intermittently slow whether in the next room or close to the router.... much slower than the iMac.. sometimes 10-15 seconds to change a screen. Adult daughter visits with her macbook and comments on the slowness too.

Two questions:

1. Would a new router make a difference, for example perhaps an 11g model.

2. Does rebooting the router simply imply unplugging and replugging to reset it?
Date: July 06, 2009 06:59AM
>>1. Would a new router make a difference, for example perhaps an 11g model.

Its possible. I'd try connecting the machines to the router via ethernet or directly to the router to determine this.

VTPKL it!
Posted by: sekker
Date: July 06, 2009 08:26AM
I have mine attached to a power strip that shuts off a bunch ofelectronics at midnight and boots up again at 6 AM.

but that's my choice to save on power.

figured it was a bonus to have a fresh reboot every day.
Posted by: wickedsteve
Date: July 06, 2009 08:53AM
Lately I have been rebooting every other day. Normally I go weeks without a hitch.
Posted by: btfc
Date: July 06, 2009 03:22PM
"Would a new router make a difference, for example perhaps an 11g model."

Your problem could be due to a number of factors. A 'G" router offers improvement in range and speed; "A" and "G" both can conflict with other wireless devices, such as wireless phones. Your Macbook supports "N".

"Does rebooting the router simply imply unplugging and replugging to reset it?"

Yes. I usually also reset my DSL modem at the same time.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login