advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
OS 9 trip back in time, look familiar?
Posted by: bangman
Date: December 20, 2005 01:28PM
I can't believe how much fun I'm having on an old tray loading iMac with OS 9. The company gave me one that works so I'm still setting it up for someone to use. They then decided that they would get rid of all of their old tray loading iMacs dead and alive. I now have 13 of these things in all flavors, grape, blueberry, lime, orange, and strawberry. No time to sort them out yet, might do it on Xmas day when nothing is happening.

BTW here's a desktop grab for those of you who miss OS 9. Some might feel warm and fuzzy, others might quake in fear of crashes, freezes and other problems.

>

---------
3GHz - The clock is STILL ticking Steve.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: OS 9 trip back in time, look familiar?
Posted by: SteveJobs
Date: December 20, 2005 01:43PM
the recent few times I've gone back to OS9, it crashed like every 10 minutes
Posted by: $tevie
Date: December 20, 2005 02:24PM
I'm still running 9 on my graphite iMac DVSE. It never crashes and rarely freezes. It is mainly just an internet machine with some light Photoshop and Word use, plus it boots into YDL3. So I imagine the fact that it is not being updated or added to or changed much at all is part of it. But ever since it was updated to 9.2.2 lo these many years ago, it has been very well behaved. It's just a happy little guy. :-D

Posted by: MacMagus
Date: December 20, 2005 02:27PM
> the recent few times I've gone back to OS9, it crashed like
> every 10 minutes

I think Apple deliberately sabotaged OS 9. If you reboot into 9 with a System Folder used for Classic, the Classic extensions that OS X installs can seriously F- with your other extensions.

> I now have 13 of these things in all flavors

Any with FireWire? Those are still worth something.
Posted by: ajakeski
Date: December 20, 2005 02:28PM
I just got rid of my last OS9 Mac (333 iMac).
Posted by: davester
Date: December 20, 2005 02:49PM
Our main home computer is a beige 266 g3 with OS9.2.2. It crashes or freezes at roughly the same frequency that my powerbook 10.3.9 has kernel panics (though the powerbook is much better at multi-tasking. In agreement with Steve Wozniak, I still much prefer the OS9 interface to OS X, even after two years of powerbook ownership.
Date: December 20, 2005 02:57PM
Interesting.

The 333MHz iMac I'm fixing up never crashes, and I mean, it never has crashed running 9.2.2 of course. I've been using Eudora for email, Word 98 for documents, Graphic Converter for playing with images, Wamcom Mozilla for browsing. No problems whatsoever. Even installed iTunes and put a few MP3s in.

Glad to hear that some people are stilling cranking away in OS 9.

I also like the black helicopters theory about Apple sabotaging 9. Nothing like a little intrigue with your OS.

---------
Posted by: JEBB
Date: December 20, 2005 03:08PM
I was helping a friend yesterday with his OS9.1 computer. I agree, it is a nice system. It's simple to use and everyfile is visible.
Posted by: MacMission
Date: December 20, 2005 03:45PM
I still boot into 9 on my Dual 800 from time to time. It's much faster than OSX. I really miss the speed. OSX rarely crashes but my OS9 volume rarely crashes as well. The cool thing about OS9 is that I know how to work under the hood which is really comforting. I have no idea what's going on under the hood in OSX. I feel like I'm at it's mercy.
The Amiga and the Mac, What if?
Posted by: silvarios
Date: December 20, 2005 04:32PM
Mac OS 9 still works for me. Sure, I use OS X when necessary, but I am more of a Classic Mac OS fan from an interface perspective. I remain amazed at the responsiveness of the GUI, until you start "multitasking" anyway, when I boot into the classic Mac OS. 256MB RAM still feels like a lot for most tasks.

Of course I still use 68k Macs running System 7.5 or Mac OS 8.1, so maybe I'm just weird. I don't hate OS X and I appreciate it's stability and I even enjoy using Linux (both on x86 and PPC), but there is a sense of ease to the Classic Mac interface. I always thought Commodore and Apple should have had a joint development effort. Take the multitasking, color, and some of the other cool Amiga tools and link it to the Mac GUI, They both ran on the same processor family after all.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: December 20, 2005 05:30PM
I think 9.2.2 was great for its time, and my 9 machine is very responsive and stable, but since Panther I have found X to be a clearly better user experience. I've gotten used to jumping around from one app to another doing this and that and the other, and when I am in the earlier OSs I get impatient with them. I too am still running a lot of earlier OSs (7.6.1, 8.6, 9.2.2, and YDL3) and I feel like X is a seriously more sophisticated OS.
Date: December 20, 2005 07:41PM
Back in the day I thought that 7.6 was the coolest thing. I remember wiping the hard drive and installing it. When it started up I was stunned at how great it looked.

Those early versions of OS X were no where near as much fun. It was so slow and tough to work with compared to OS 9.

---------
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 119
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018