Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $108.00 ( +1.02 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
iPhone and t-mobile web-2-go?
Posted by: mspace
Date: July 10, 2009 10:52AM
Some have mentioned here that they use an iPhone with what used to be T-zones, now Web-2-Go.

I called T-mobile to find out the difference between that and their regular unlimited data service. I was told that web-2-go would be too limiting with an iPhone, as it doesn't support the full web experience that the iPhone uses.

What differences have you users experienced in using T-Zones with the iPhone? Does it look the same as if it were a regular data plan? What are the draw-backs?

Thanks muchly . . .
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: iPhone and t-mobile web-2-go?
Posted by: Gilbert
Date: July 10, 2009 11:20AM
If you call and tell T-Mo that you are using an iPhone they will say you have to get their $25 month plan to experience the "full internet" whatever that means. But it is not true. I have their $9.99 Unlimited Web for Smartphones and there is no difference.

They seem to have recently changed their plans again as I couldn't find the web2go plans anywhere online. The $5.99 T-Zones plan is unfortunately no longer offered though those who have it are grandfathered in. I had it before and turned it off last year as I wasn't using it anymore only to find it was discontinued when I wanted to add it on again this year.

The key is to not tell them you have an iPhone. Log on to your T-Mo account online. Once there, select 'Manage Account' and change your phone model to a Motorola Razor. Then go to Services and you should have an option to add Unlimited Web for Smartphones for $9.99 or if you do alot of texting, they offer Unlimited Web + Unlimited Messaging for Smartphones for $19.99.

You then have to change a setting on your iPhone to add their APN (Access Point Name) at:

Settings > General > Network > Cellular Data Network

The APN is internet2.voicestream.com and you leave Username and Password both blank.

Typically, it takes a few minutes for the data plan to be active but it could take up to 24 hours.

Others might know of cheaper plans or other ways but this has worked for me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2009 11:25AM by Gilbert.
Date: July 10, 2009 12:38PM
I don't have a t-mobile account right now. I am a Sprint customer, but not on contract. I would want to move my number over, too.

What would be the best way to set up a T-Mobile account with the 9.99 data plan that you mention?

I am thinking of getting an unlocked phone via private sale.

All recommendations helpful. . . .
Date: July 10, 2009 01:10PM
mspace
I don't have a t-mobile account right now. I am a Sprint customer, but not on contract. I would want to move my number over, too.

What would be the best way to set up a T-Mobile account with the 9.99 data plan that you mention?

I am thinking of getting an unlocked phone via private sale.

All recommendations helpful. . . .

I don't know if you can open an account with T-Mo without signing/starting a contract. One suggestion would be to go their website and see what they offer as far as free phones. I am not sure if the brick and mortar stores have the same offers. Select a phone, such as the Samsung t819, select a phone plan that meets your needs (they have a promo now for 1000 min with unlimited nights and weekends for $40/mo) and on the right hand side of the screen will be a window about keeping your current number. It will walk you through how to port your number from Sprint. Next, select the Services you want - in your case, under Internet and Email, is the option for the $9.99 plan mentioned above. Then proceed to checkout and wait for your phone to come in the mail along with the SIM card. I would put the SIM card into the new phone, make sure the SIM activates correctly, then switch it over to the iPhone once you verify it is working.

As I said, you may be able to go to a B&M store and expedite the process but I don't know what they offer as far as free phones.

Others may know how to open an account sans agreement but I am not sure.
Posted by: Gareth
Date: July 10, 2009 01:15PM
mspace

Start a new T-Mobile plan with the cheapest regular phone they offer (this will give you a backup phone also in case something happens to your iPhone). The $9.99 Unlimited Plan is for "Other Phones" (not Smartphones), so by buying a regular phone, you can add it when you sign up, or add it later via online account management. When you switch to the unlocked iPhone, there's no need to tell T-Mobile, just put the SIM in and set-up the APN as Gilbert mentioned.

I'm also using the $9.99 Unlimited Web plan with an iPhone. It's slow, but it works (and the slowness is probably due to the Edge network, since iPhones don't work on T-Mobile's 3G network, so a $25 plan isn't going to fix that).
Posted by: volcs0
Date: July 10, 2009 01:33PM
I have the $5.99/mo T-Zones plan, and it works great w/ my iPhone. The APN I use is epc.tmobile.com.

Here is a 33 page thread at Fatwallet that chronicles people's attempts at getting this plan.
[www.fatwallet.com]
Date: July 10, 2009 01:37PM
Thanks very much for the sign-up procedure tips.

I was just saying I''m not in a Sprint contract. I know I'd have to do a T-Mobile contract.

Although slow, do you all think that the iPhone/T-mobile combo is worth it, or should one wait for rates/plans to change?

Also, trying to compare phone company coverage is very tricky. I am in NYC, so I don't "think" it makes much difference here between the different providers. I've been looking at price alone. Am I wrong?
Date: July 10, 2009 01:48PM
mspace
Thanks very much for the sign-up procedure tips.

I was just saying I''m not in a Sprint contract. I know I'd have to do a T-Mobile contract.

Gotcha. I am always hopeful to not get into a contract but hard to do these days. (Although my T-Mo contract is long over).

mspace
Although slow, do you all think that the iPhone/T-mobile combo is worth it, or should one wait for rates/plans to change?

For me, I have been very happy with the iPhone/T-Mo combo. The speed is fine as I only use it occasionally, so in a pinch, it is good to have. Not sure what plans/rates will do in the future. With T-Mo, I am able to get their unlimited loyalty plan for $50/mo (unlimited minutes) and then added the $10 internet. The cheapest AT&T plan is $70/month and only has 450 min.

mspace
Also, trying to compare phone company coverage is very tricky. I am in NYC, so I don't "think" it makes much difference here between the different providers. I've been looking at price alone. Am I wrong?

I haven't used T-Mo in NYC, so can't comment, but in my travels, the coverage has been sufficient, so for me it came to price and wanting to use a great phone.
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: July 10, 2009 02:34PM
Does Web-2-Go work with T-Mobile pay as you go?
Date: July 10, 2009 10:32PM
anonymouse1
Does Web-2-Go work with T-Mobile pay as you go?

Good question but I am not sure. Did some looking on Google and came up with this:

[forums.macrumors.com]

Basically, it is using the Sidekick prepaid plan at $1/day.
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: July 11, 2009 08:12PM
Thanks, Gilbert!
iPhone and t-mobile web-2-go?
Posted by: tapatio06
Date: August 01, 2009 12:45AM
Hi everyone i just bought and iphone i have T-mobile i jailbrake it already, i add the web 2go to my plan for $9.99 to use the data plan but i haven't been able to unlock it, can anybody tell me step by step how to do it cause i put the APN name but still doesn't work so which one is the one that works and if i have to download something from cydia, and if i hace to reset the iphone or just turn it off and on.
Date: August 01, 2009 07:23AM
This apn worked for me - internet2.voicestream.com

Just type it in and give it a moment or two. No reset or restart needed.
Re: iPhone mms messaging
Posted by: tapatio06
Date: August 06, 2009 09:41PM
Hey there i just got a jailbroken ipnone working with T-mobile i was able to anable the mms pic messaging on my phone but i can only recieve the pic mes... but i can't send anyone anybody knows why is that and know how to fix it i will appreciate that, also you guys know if i update the new iphone software from itunes its going to break down the phone or something, i want to keep the ipnone updated just know how to do it thank you for whoever help me with this questions
Re: iPhone mms messaging
Date: August 06, 2009 10:32PM
Back up the phone. Restore, not update, the phone with 3.0.1. Jailbreak again with the 3.0 ispw. Redo the unlock with ultrasn0w via Cydia. restore with the backup.
Posted by: Iphoneaddict
Date: August 25, 2009 11:10PM
I have an Iphone with tmobile unlimited web2go plan using the apn internet2.voicestream.com which was working fine until very recently. Recently it comes up with the tmobile error message "To connect to the internet with the device you are using you'll need a webConnect data plan" any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login