advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
OK, how gutsy should I be?
Posted by: AlphaDog
Date: July 13, 2009 01:57PM
I'm planning a short road trip, and I haven't taken one alone in over seven years. I'm starting out slow - heading to Glacier National Park, where I'll meet a friend and spend a couple of days poking around there. She'll then head out to who knows where, and I want to take a "scenic" route home. As I was planning my trip back, I found a little road that wasn't showing up on my paper map, but Google Maps shows it as The Flowery Trail Road, and apparently motorcyclists love it! It's about 27 miles long and runs between Usk, Washington, and Chewelah, Washington. Here's how it's described on the only site where I found it mentioned:

"It's nowhere near the 'Tail of the Dragon' as the other reviewer suggested. Unlike the Tail, this road is wide, has high-speed corners and lots of straights that are long enough to build some speed. Most of the time the limit is 35mph, but the part close to Usk has 40mph, why so low - I have no idea. My GPS had the first 5 miles or so from Chewelah totally wrong (probably due to reconstruction). I only saw 2 cars while on this road (both going my way), no police (early October). The road feels very deserted, and very deep in the wilderness. The trees are so dense you can't see through them more than two feet. Air is sparkingly fresh. No signs of civilization throughout. This is a definite 'shivers down your spine' material."

Do I dare? smiling smiley My Highlander is hard to mistake for a motorcycle.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: OK, how gutsy should I be?
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: July 13, 2009 01:59PM
. . .no guts. . .no glory. . .

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: MacArtist
Date: July 13, 2009 02:04PM
Make sure your brakes are up to it before you go.

After that, ENJOY!

I sit on a man’s back, choking him and making
him carry me, and yet assure myself and others
that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his
lot by all possible means — except by getting off
his back. - Leo Tolstoy, novelist and Philosopher
(1828-1910)

Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: July 13, 2009 02:04PM
If you go let me know what it is like. Paved? Tar and chip seal? Gravel? Dirt? It looks like it might be a nice bike ride.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: July 13, 2009 02:05PM
Do it!
You'll love it, and you should take lots of pictures....

Just not WHILE you're driving, of course.

And DO spend some time in Glacier! I really wish I'd had more time to spend a couple days there last summer instead of "just passing through".

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: Ammo
Date: July 13, 2009 02:07PM
You can always turn around if the going gets too tough. BTW, if you look ahead and see that some bears have set up a check point, turn around immediately.
Posted by: billb
Date: July 13, 2009 02:15PM
If this is it - [www.youtube.com]
I'm guessing it's a favorite of motorcyclists who like to scrape thier foot pegs on asphalt. :-)

Could be half the main roads in New Hampshire/Vermont. :-)
Posted by: artie67
Date: July 13, 2009 02:17PM
Check out the Google Earth "street view". Looks like easy going on lined and paved two lane road. Sections are missing for some reason, but all shown sections look very good.
Posted by: WHiiP
Date: July 13, 2009 03:02PM
You only live once (twice if you are Bond... James Bond).

Sound like it is worth the effort!

thumbsup smiley

Bill
Flagler Beach, FL 32136

Carpe Vino!

Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire.
— David Rains Wallace
Posted by: Seacrest
Date: July 13, 2009 03:05PM
Don't worry about motorcyclists.
It's their responsibility to operate their vehicles safely.
As long as you operate yours safely, they will take care of themselves.
Or not.

I am not Ryan Seacrest, and I do not approve this message.
Posted by: AAA
Date: July 13, 2009 03:15PM
You probably are more likely to have an accident at home, your front step, going to church, or making out with the milkman.

But, still, play it safe. Pack at least a primary EDC, and a backup pistol. Perhaps 100 rounds in mags stored in car and on your body. A couple of tactical knives. Perhaps a tactical cane.

Just the standard stuff.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: July 13, 2009 03:25PM
Go for it. I would just make sure that someone knows where you are going and when you are supposed to get back, so in case anything goes wrong they know where to look.
Date: July 13, 2009 03:30PM
Posted by: dmann
Date: July 13, 2009 03:57PM
Go for it! Make sure you have a cell phone, a good car emergency kit and plenty of room on the card in your digital camera!

DM
Posted by: freeradical
Date: July 13, 2009 04:27PM
billb

I can do a little better. Seen down in Southern California...

Date: July 13, 2009 05:02PM
OK! I'm going for it! (Of course I still have time to change my mind, since I'm not leaving until August 1.) As I thought about this more, I've plowed ahead into places much more remote than this, so this is more like I'm losing my nerve after being at home so long.

Note to Paul F., - my friend will be in Hungry Horse for only two days, but I'm staying a third day. What else would you have wanted to do while you were up there? Keep in mind I can't do any hiking, which is a shame when you go to a place like Glacier, but it's one of my limitations.

That YouTube video might have spoiled it for me, billb. The road doesn't look as remote as I was expecting it to. This might not be as exciting as I think, but it's at least a good shortcut to Chewelah, where I'll be staying.
Posted by: Mr Downtown
Date: July 13, 2009 05:16PM
Stop in at the local hardware store or bike shop and ask. Those are the guys who'll know someone who's driven or ridden it in the last month sometime.
Date: July 13, 2009 05:32PM
Mr Downtown
Stop in at the local hardware store or bike shop and ask. Those are the guys who'll know someone who's driven or ridden it in the last month sometime.

After looking at that YouTube video, I've decided it's pretty tame. And that's not all bad!
Posted by: lost in space
Date: July 13, 2009 05:53PM
We took that route about five years ago, as a long cut home to Spokane. It's a nice road, mild, nice though unspectacular scenery.
Posted by: kap
Date: July 13, 2009 07:22PM
Agree with others, "Go for it!". Don't forget to take your best friends the Rottweiler and the GS grinning smiley
I want to do long road trips as well before I lose my belief of invincibility to aging.

SoCal for now.
Posted by: btfc
Date: July 14, 2009 12:15AM
Posted by: Speedy
Date: July 14, 2009 01:28AM
On my second trip in Glacier I was traveling in a newish '66 Le Mans (yup, awhile ago) with a couple of buddies. It was after dark and as we rounded a bend on Going to the Sun Road we collided with a grizzly headed full tilt the opposite way, closely followed by a car. It put its paws on the hood of the car pretty much as we and it stopped, then it barreled over the stone wall on the edge of the road. We noted where this happened and went back the next day. It was a very steep and deep edge where it went over but no sign of the bear.

Shouldn't be a problem for you as a bike doesn't have a hood.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: July 14, 2009 07:05AM
There's always the possibility of freak weather.
Posted by: Maddog
Date: July 14, 2009 12:12PM
Ok, if you are around the east side of Glacier, I believe the town is St. Helen or something like that, you have to stop at the Park Cafe. Best piece of pie I have ever had. Actually ended up going back 3 different times to get more pie. I highly recommend the banana cream, but the marionberry is also delicious.

I don't know about the road you describe, but it sounds fun. There is also a nice drive up into Canada thru Waterton and down the Kananaskis highway. Very few cars and spectacular granite peaks on both sides of you.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: July 14, 2009 12:45PM
I assume your Highlander is in good running shape.

Brakes and transmission, but especially your coolant system.

Watch your speed around corners; more than one motorcyclist or two have been known to take a bad link into a corner and come out on your side of the line.

And by the way, two tactical knives are wasteful. Be polite to others and you'll only need it in CQC or all rounds expended situations.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: July 14, 2009 05:57PM
Maddog
Ok, if you are around the east side of Glacier, I believe the town is St. Helen or something like that, you have to stop at the Park Cafe. Best piece of pie I have ever had. Actually ended up going back 3 different times to get more pie. I highly recommend the banana cream, but the marionberry is also delicious.

I don't know about the road you describe, but it sounds fun. There is also a nice drive up into Canada thru Waterton and down the Kananaskis highway. Very few cars and spectacular granite peaks on both sides of you.

MY WEAKNESS!!! I LOVE PIE!!! This might be the most valuable post to the entire thread. smiling smiley

I won't be able to wander up into Canada this trip, because I don't have the necessary papers to get home. Louie would miss me, so that will have to be for another time, although it does sound nice.

To RAM - Highlander and I spent much of the day making sure he's feeling up to this. It's going in next week to get a couple of things done, so I should be OK. There's always the chance something will break, but I've done all I can to get the obvious stuff evaluated and replaced, if needed. It's OK to wish me luck, though, because that never hurts.
Posted by: Janit
Date: July 14, 2009 06:43PM
freeradical

I can do a little better. Seen down in Southern California...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2009 06:45PM by Janit.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 130
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018