advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
how long for concrete to dry?
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: July 15, 2009 04:50PM
they just redid our front porch with some fresh concrete. They busted up the old one and repoured it on Tuesday at about 1pm. Just wondering how long until you can walk on it...normally. Going out the backdoor is a big PITA.

Posted by: michael_s
Date: July 15, 2009 04:56PM
Should be dry enough for foot traffic in about 6-8 hours.
21 days to cure if it will be used as an interstate hwy.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: how long for concrete to dry?
Posted by: slbett
Date: July 15, 2009 05:08PM
If you don't drag your feet or anything else, you're ok now. I would hold off setting anything on the porch for a week though. I always wet the concrete several times a day to slow the curing process. The hotter it is outside and if in direct sunlight the more important. Slow curing is better than a rapid cure. After a week just don't drive any tanks on it.
Posted by: artie67
Date: July 15, 2009 05:42PM
Quick, scratch the kids names and the date. Well, we used to do this on our walkways and driveway aprons. We also had a mixer grew up in concrete block houses. Follow Bazookaman and michael-s advise and mist the surface.
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: July 15, 2009 06:06PM
Give it 24 hours.

It will be finished curing in about 100 years, but functional for foot traffic in 12-24 hours. If you can wait 24 hours do so.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: tuqqer
Date: July 15, 2009 06:44PM
Ah, memories. I once calculated that I'd poured over 1000 yards of concrete in my early twenties, most of it in flat work, all of it up in Wyoming. It'd get so cold that you'd have to add a heating chemical and then tent the whole thing with blow heaters throughout the night. The heating element helped but would radically alter the speed at which it would harden. You had to get on it quick, and it could go from pliable to rock hard in a matter of minutes. And ztirffritz isn't exaggerating; some pours would continue to get stronger and stronger for well into 80 years.

Good times.

Here's some good basic info:
[www.cement.org]

Mac Pro 2013 3.7GHz Quad-Core, 32G RAM Catalina 10.15.x Dual 25" Acer 1440p LCDs11" i5 MacBook Air
Posted by: btfc
Date: July 15, 2009 08:11PM
" I once calculated that I'd poured over 1000 yards of concrete in my early twenties, most of it in flat work, all of it up in Wyoming."

Where was that?
Posted by: Wailer
Date: July 15, 2009 08:30PM
If you want to minimize cracking you definitely need to keep it moist. Saturated burlap sacks work pretty well.

All concrete cracks. If they didn't reinforce it was rebar or wire mesh or they didn't prepare the subgrade, it'll probably crack more.
Posted by: tuqqer
Date: July 15, 2009 09:14PM
btfc
" I once calculated that I'd poured over 1000 yards of concrete in my early twenties, most of it in flat work, all of it up in Wyoming."

Where was that?

Mainly out of Rawlins, but quite a bit of it in Jeffrey City.

Mac Pro 2013 3.7GHz Quad-Core, 32G RAM Catalina 10.15.x Dual 25" Acer 1440p LCDs11" i5 MacBook Air
Posted by: btfc
Date: July 15, 2009 09:21PM
I worked around Rock Springs for a while, and did some cold weather concrete work in Jackson Hole.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: July 15, 2009 09:27PM
Probably a little longer than paint.
Posted by: M>B>
Date: July 15, 2009 09:31PM
There are only two types of concrete: concrete that is cracked and concrete that hasn't cracked yet!
Posted by: Speedy
Date: July 17, 2009 04:16AM
I'd rather watch concrete dry than paint.

freeradical
Probably a little longer than paint.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 238
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018