Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $96.13 ( +0.53 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
After the Lightning strike...insurance claim
Posted by: MacArtist
Date: July 16, 2009 10:21AM
Last Thursday morning we took a lightning strike to the house. It took out the indoor phone lines, 2 TVs, a power supply, an surge protector and now the 3 month old refrigerator is making a buzzing noise. We also have a large crack in my daughter's ceiling that wasn't there prior to the storm.

I started the process of filing a claim. Never been throught that process before.

I am wondering how they handle electrical items that don't immediately fail. Say for instance, something goes out in 3 months. Will they cover it?

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: After the Lightning strike...insurance claim
Posted by: DRR
Date: July 16, 2009 10:33AM
I would assume, no, unless you can substantiate from a repair shop or somewhere else, that the failure was likely caused by a lightning strike. That lightning strike.

Otherwise, your insurance company is on the hook for all your failing electronics, in perpetuity? They'd never allow that.
Posted by: iaJim
Date: July 16, 2009 12:28PM
I'm sure there will be lightning in another three months should something fail.....
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: July 16, 2009 03:04PM
iaJim
I'm sure there will be lightning in another three months should something fail.....

Yes, but you will get dropped like a rock if you make a couple claims within a few months of each other.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: July 16, 2009 04:18PM
i'd do the math and make sure your claim is worth a $1000 or, preferably, more even if your deductible is less. your insurance company will pay on a nickel & dime (in their view) claim but may punish you later with higher rates or dropping you.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: testcase
Date: July 16, 2009 04:25PM
I'm not sure I'm remembering the correct term but, I think "Public Adjuster" is right. A PA is a professional you hire to represent you against your insurance company (who may stonewall you and, will probably low ball your claim). As a professional, they'll think of things you wouldn't so that the claim you file actually covers everything that was lost / damaged.

I just did a quick Google search. Try:

[www.help4claims.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login