advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
HELP Ipod not recognized
Posted by: goodmanx
Date: July 18, 2009 10:55AM
I have an 80 gig ipod (Model PA488LL) with no content on it. It is formatted for windows. Neither my Mac nor my pc recognizes it. I’ve used different cables on both machines with the same result, so it’s likely not a cable problem. It seems to be fine doing what little it does (charge, clock, calendar, games).

When I hold down the menu button and the center button simultaneously with the unit connected (as instructed in several sitea) the screen goes dark, but there’s a very faint image of the Apple logo in the center of the screen. After holding those buttons down a few more seconds that image disappears. When I release the buttons, the unit opens, then the screen fades and then it repeats that cycle. When the screen is dark, the menu is faintly visible. When I hold down the play/pause button the screen immediately does dark, but the menu is still slightly visible and it repeats the light/dark cycle (light about 6 seconds, dark about 13 seconds, using the trusty ol’ “one one thousand ...” method). Holding down the play/pause button does not seem to have any effect.

Unplugging the unit and holding down the play/pause button appears to turn it off. When I again touch the play/pause button it immediately opens (screen brightens, then dims with menu slightly visible, then the screen goes blank, apparently in a sleep mode.

I'll appreciate any assistance in getting this thing to work.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: HELP Ipod not recognized
Posted by: lafinfil
Date: July 18, 2009 11:01AM
I just went through this a few weeks ago with my nephews ipod (nano 3Gen) and Windows XP

Tried all the resets and nothing worked. Three other ipods in his family worked fine so i knew that
it was not a cable, iTunes etc..

I finally fixed it by going through Windows itself. I'm semi Windows literate - by memory I think it was
Start Menu > Controls > Device Manager (?) Others may help me out here please

Anyway - the ipod appeared as a "K drive" and I reformatted it there. Once reformatted I plugged it
into iTunes and it asked to download the software. Did that and then named it and added nephews music
from his iTunes playlist

Hope that helps and good luck.

<edit to add> His ipod showed that it was nearly full, although the only things on it were the defaults
like the calendar, games, etc ... - shoed no play lists, no video, etc ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/2009 11:04AM by lafinfil.
Date: July 18, 2009 01:36PM
Thanx for your response, lafinfil.

When I plug into the pc, I get a message, "One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned. and Windows does not recognize it. For assistance in solving this problem, click this window."

The USB controller in the device manager shows an "unknown device". Clicking on that item tells me that "no drivers are installed for this device..." and it sends me to the troubleshooter. Details for the device shows the device instance ID as "USB/VID_0000/5&PID&3873A573&0&2".

Is this helpful?

I'll appreciate any further assistance.
Date: July 18, 2009 02:52PM
That is pretty much the same message that I ran into - went through all the drivers etc ...

I believe that Windows is trying to automatically configure the ipod - and it fails.

Basically you need to get to the ipod and manually reformat it.

I had to do a quick search and this seems correct (again - working from memory)

[www.computerhope.com]

1. Click Start
2. Click Settings
3. Click Control Panel
4. In the Control Panel double-click the Systems icon.
5. In the System Properties window click the Hardware tab.
6. In the Hardware tab click the Device Manager button.

OK - at this point you shout see the drives list - Drive A, Drive B, Drive C etc ...
In my case the ipod appeared as a K Drive and showed a small ipod icon next to it

Highlight the ipod/K drive and then go through the reformat process following the prompts.
Upon completion plug the ipod in and it should launch iTunes and ask to install the "Missing software"
Install it and you should be good.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/2009 02:54PM by lafinfil.
Date: July 18, 2009 05:55PM
Thanks, again, lafinfil.

In the device manager, under USB controllers I get

4 x Inter 82801DB/DBM USB Enhanced Controller Host - 24CD/2/4/7 sequentially.

Unknown device (which seems to be the problem item)

6 x usb hub root

2 x VIA Rev 5or later USB Universal Host Controller

1 x UVA USB Enhanced Host Controller

All of them except the unknown device report "the device is working properly."

The ipod does not show up as a device.

Let's keep trying! Other suggestions?
Date: July 18, 2009 06:08PM
It seems that you are looking at the USB controller and I believe you need to be looking
for the window that displays drives.

Perhaps I have directed you to the wrong spot and I don't have a windows machine to look at

Perhaps if you posted your windows version here, one of the windows gurus can help you find the ipod

Date: July 19, 2009 09:58AM
"My Computer" does not show the drive, though it does show the Sansa Clip 4g drive used for Rhapsody and plugged into the usb port adjacent to the one into which the ipod is plugged on the front of the pc. I'm running Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002, SP3.

Thanks for your continued assistance.
Date: July 19, 2009 10:10AM
Is there a window that shows hard drives - Drive A, Drive B etc ... ?

In my case the iPod showed as the K Drive there

Date: July 19, 2009 10:26AM
The only such window is in "My Computer". The Sansa drive does not appear as a drive designated by letter; only the hard drives, the floppy & the optical drive are so designated.

Thanks, again.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 142
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018