advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Need some advice wrt eyeglasses
Posted by: PeterB
Date: July 18, 2009 02:28PM
It seems I have a metal allergy; I've gotten pretty bad flaking around my ears. My previous eye doc basically confirmed this. (Unfortunately, he's now no longer taking my insurance, so I've had to find someone new.) So I've been told that I need either stainless steel, titanium, or plastic frames. (I'm not a fan of plastic.) The new eye doc I've just seen is a good deal more expensive, and the only frames he had that I liked were not in the line offered by my insurance company, and were $390 (but were titanium)... the insurance would reduce that to $285. The insurance is supposed to pay for a set of frames, but only if it's in their lineup, and unfortunately everything in their lineup is apparently made of alloys rather than titanium or stainless.

I am rather picky about eyewear-- I like transitions, glass rather than plastic lenses, and no antiglare coating, thankyouverymuch. Would I be better off paying the $285, or buying something entirely outside of insurance, and paying for it out-of-pocket? (I know that some online places have gotten dirt cheap recently...)

TiA

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Need some advice wrt eyeglasses
Posted by: BernDog
Date: July 18, 2009 02:33PM
If out-of-pocket is cheaper than after insurance, it seems like a no-brainer.
Date: July 18, 2009 02:36PM
BernDog, yeah, that's what I was thinking too... scary as that is. The question is, can I find someplace online with frames that I like, where I can get the type of lenses I like, at a reasonable price?

Edit: I'm tempted to post a pic of my current frames so everyone can get an idea of what I'm looking for. I was told that they are out of style, more typical for the '80's, because the trend is to go with smaller and smaller lenses. (I personally think the tiny lenses look ridiculous on me, but apparently that's the trend...) The shape is mostly circular but a little oval, with thin frames (not frameless, though) ... a quick Google image search turned up these (caution, huge image) ... which are close, but maybe mine are very slightly more elongated and oval than these. I have two pair which are tortoiseshell and one black... I've been told that with my complexion, I can pretty much get away with either an antique gold, silver, or black.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/2009 02:42PM by PeterB.
Posted by: iaJim
Date: July 18, 2009 02:38PM
If insurance is paying for the lenses, then I'd let them do that and pay for the frames I wanted at the reduced rate that they provide. I wear Silhouette titanium frames, and I love them. I've had several sets of lenses in them, and they are still going strong. Is that what you are looking at? [www.bestbuyeyeglasses.com]

They are decidedly cheaper here than at my eye doctor's!
Posted by: JoeH
Date: July 18, 2009 02:39PM
Can you take your prescription to an optician and still get coverage? An independent or chain optician would probably have more choices of frames. In my case I just take my prescription to a local optician anyways. No insurance coverage for glasses, just that my health insurance provider has negotiated discounts with a number of opticians.

Posted by: dmann
Date: July 18, 2009 02:41PM
I'm confused- what's scary about buying eyeglasses outside of your insurance plan? I've never had optical insurance and have been wearing glasses since I was 16. I have always paid out of pocket.

Many here recommend Costco so if you are a member, tell them your restrictions and see what they offer. I've been going to ForEyes for years. Only had one problem in all that time and they were great about fixing it for me.

DM
Posted by: AlphaDog
Date: July 18, 2009 02:43PM
Being a girl, I've never looked at men's frames, but when did I let a detail like that stop me from expressing an opinion? smiling smiley

I have an allergy to base metals, but I've been able to find frames that have the ends of the bows coated with a rubbery (?) substance. I never have any problem with breaking out. In my case, the allergic reaction is a whole lot worse than just flaking - I break out in sores. Before you completely give up, see if there are any frames for men that are made like that. The coating is clear, so I don't think it would be noticeable, even with a short guy's haircut. The frames of my current glasses have a slight color to them, and that color shows through the coating. The ends of the bows do look a tiny bit thicker, but that's true of many glasses anyway.

Just another thought!
Date: July 18, 2009 02:47PM
1) Yes, I can get coverage, so long as I go to an optician that's within the insurance's network. Unfortunately, though there are a few that are within the network, I'm still limited to either frames covered by the company, or paying the extra large amount for non-covered frames.

2) dmann, the issue is that what's the point of having insurance, if they're saying you're entitled to free frames every 24 months, if in fact you end up having to pay a huge amount out of pocket? (Admittedly my case is a little unusual in that I have the metal allergy... that is a thought, I may try to give them a call and see if they'll cover something different in my case, but somehow I doubt it...)

3) Alpha -- yeah, there were a couple of frames like that, but unfortunately still in the $400 range...

4) Unfortunately, no Costco's nearby to me...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/2009 02:49PM by PeterB.
Posted by: BernDog
Date: July 18, 2009 02:49PM
AlphaDog
Being a girl, I've never looked at men's frames, but when did I let a detail like that stop me from expressing an opinion? smiling smiley

I have an allergy to base metals, but I've been able to find frames that have the ends of the bows coated with a rubbery (?) substance. I never have any problem with breaking out. In my case, the allergic reaction is a whole lot worse than just flaking - I break out in sores. Before you completely give up, see if there are any frames for men that are made like that. The coating is clear, so I don't think it would be noticeable, even with a short guy's haircut. The frames of my current glasses have a slight color to them, and that color shows through the coating. The ends of the bows do look a tiny bit thicker, but that's true of many glasses anyway.

Just another thought!

Here's a real low-rent option that may be worth try (inspired by AlphaDog's post). When I was a kid, I had a friend who's wrist would break out due to the metal on the back of his watch. He coated it with clear nail polish, and no more problems. Obviously not an elegant solution, but if you were willing and it worked, it may reopen all your previous frame options.
Date: July 18, 2009 02:50PM
BernDog
AlphaDog

Just another thought!

Here's a real low-rent option that may be worth try (inspired by AlphaDog's post). When I was a kid, I had a friend who's wrist would break out due to the metal on the back of his watch. He coated it with clear nail polish, and no more problems. Obviously not an elegant solution, but if you were willing and it worked, it may reopen all your previous frame options.

Yep, that's what I've been doing (suggested to me by the eye doc); the problem is that the nail polish comes off pretty easily, and when it does so, it tends to leave ragged edges (ouch!)...

Date: July 18, 2009 03:15PM
What kind of place have you been going to? When I had fantastic vision coverage, I went to an opthamologist who had his practice in conjunction with an optical service. The frames there were very expensive, although that didn't matter at the time. The last time I got glasses, I simply couldn't afford that place. I got my exam at Costco and then went to an independent optical store for the glasses. (Costco wasn't an option for the glasses - just trust me.) They had a much wider selection of frames, including some really pricey designer frames. But, they also had some less expensive frames. The regular price on mine, which have held up extremely well for over two and half years, was $160. I whined at the price, and they cut it in half. They're certainly much more willing to negotiate than any other place I've ever been. I need very specific lenses, carefully ground and measured, and I put my money into the part I need to see with!
Posted by: mattkime
Date: July 18, 2009 03:26PM
what does this have to do with dd-wrt

Date: July 18, 2009 03:43PM
AlphaDog
What kind of place have you been going to? When I had fantastic vision coverage, I went to an opthamologist who had his practice in conjunction with an optical service. The frames there were very expensive, although that didn't matter at the time. The last time I got glasses, I simply couldn't afford that place. I got my exam at Costco and then went to an independent optical store for the glasses. (Costco wasn't an option for the glasses - just trust me.) They had a much wider selection of frames, including some really pricey designer frames. But, they also had some less expensive frames. The regular price on mine, which have held up extremely well for over two and half years, was $160. I whined at the price, and they cut it in half. They're certainly much more willing to negotiate than any other place I've ever been. I need very specific lenses, carefully ground and measured, and I put my money into the part I need to see with!

I just called the insurance co, and not surprisingly, they're unwilling to do anything from the perspective of the metal allergy. I'm tempted to go back to my previous optician to see if they carry anything similar to what I have now (since that's where I got my current frames from), except in titanium or steel, and then depending on the price, swallow the cost difference.

Date: July 18, 2009 03:51PM
If you're like me, your glasses have to be comfortable, and as much as I hate paying the price, frames and lenses just aren't a good place to cut costs.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: July 18, 2009 03:54PM
So look online and buy a pair if you like them. Your likely out less than $100.

If you can't find them with the lenses you want (not all offer glass), just get them anyway and take them in to have your choice of lenses put in by a local place..

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: July 18, 2009 04:08PM
Search for "zenni" here.
Posted by: MarkD
Date: July 18, 2009 05:26PM
I have used framesdirect.com twice and they have been good. Actually, I have gone to their office here in Houston. They do not take insurance.
Date: July 18, 2009 05:38PM
Thanks guys. Perfect example of why the search term is so important -- I wouldn't have thought to STF for "Zenni", and the other searches I was doing didn't turn up what I was looking for.

Posted by: Ombligo
Date: July 18, 2009 07:37PM
look at [www.glassesusa.com] and [www.eyebuydirect.com] as well

If you settle on one, google that name and coupons... I found a 30% discount for one that way.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: graylocks
Date: July 18, 2009 10:52PM
will places put in lenses if you supply the frames? i was just surfing on Zenni optical the other night and stumbled upon the page where they mentioned titanium frames being the choice of those allergic to nickel. even if you didn't want to go the whole online route, maybe you could buy the frames from Zenni and have the lenses done locally.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Date: July 18, 2009 11:31PM
graylocks
will places put in lenses if you supply the frames? i was just surfing on Zenni optical the other night and stumbled upon the page where they mentioned titanium frames being the choice of those allergic to nickel. even if you didn't want to go the whole online route, maybe you could buy the frames from Zenni and have the lenses done locally.

Yes, I'd think that'd be possible, though the optician is not likely to be happy about it...

And yes, titanium seems to be the way to go, though I've actually had bad experiences with the "memory" titanium-- has just snapped clean on me!

Edit: oh, and here are my current frames, so if anyone happens to see a very good match in titanium, let me know! (warning, large image): [img154.imageshack.us]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/2009 11:34PM by PeterB.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: July 18, 2009 11:36PM
PeterB
Yes, I'd think that'd be possible, though the optician is not likely to be happy about it...

And yes, titanium seems to be the way to go, though I've actually had bad experiences with the "memory" titanium-- has just snapped clean on me!

IIRC, the Zenni site said memory titanium was a mix and not suitable for those allergic to nickel.

btw, i also have a nickel allergy but so far only manifests a problem in earrings.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/2009 11:37PM by graylocks.
Posted by: guitarist
Date: July 19, 2009 01:34PM
wrt eyeglasses? Wireless receiver/transmitter eyeglasses are very cool, very James Bond. I had a friend who had some wrt eyeglasses. He said the were expensive.

Acronym Definition

WRT World Rally Team
WRT Web Runtime (cell phone application)
WRT Wrought
WRT Walter Reade Theater
WRT Westchester Reform Temple
WRT Wallace Roberts & Todd
WRT Workforce Review Team
WRT Water Restoration Technician (Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Certification)
WRT Wealth Replacement Trust
WRT With Regard To
WRT With Respect To
WRT Workshop on Refactoring Tools
WRT Water Round Torpedo
WRT Wildlife Rehabilitation Today (magazine)
WRT Welcome Real Time (Aix-en-Provence, France)
WRT Windowed Radon Transform
WRT Wireless Receiver/Transmitter
WRT With Reference To
WRT World Roofing Technologies (South Africa)
WRT Writer's Round Table
WRT Warrior River Terminal Company
WRT Wastewater Retention Tank
Posted by: wurm
Date: July 19, 2009 06:12PM
It took me a few minutes, and I'm still not positive, but I figure he means with regard to, although RE: would be fewer keystrokes. smiling smiley
Date: July 19, 2009 08:32PM
wurm
It took me a few minutes, and I'm still not positive, but I figure he means with regard to, although RE: would be fewer keystrokes. smiling smiley

actually fewer, because the colon requires hitting 'shift' grinning smiley

Date: July 19, 2009 10:27PM
PeterB

actually fewer, because the colon requires hitting 'shift' grinning smiley

If a post doesn't confuse half your readers, then you're not using enough shortcuts!
Date: July 19, 2009 11:38PM
guitarist, I think most here DID understand the post... and more typical for people here to think of wrt as something other than what most would think of...

Date: July 20, 2009 12:22AM
PeterB
guitarist, I think most here DID understand the post... and more typical for people here to think of wrt as something other than what most would think of...

Peter, it's not mutually exclusive. People can fully understand your post, and still be confused or amused by your obscure choice of shortcuts. itycoscif!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 368
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018