advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Dell Mini9: Did I completely miss the boat on this?
Posted by: 3d
Date: July 20, 2009 11:43AM
Did i completely miss the boat on those $180 colorful Dell Mini9's with 2gigs of Ram?

Since they're not being made anymore, I'm looking at the Dell outlet and all i'm seeing is 4 pages of black Mini9's with 512MB of Ram running XP for $229.

My BDay is coming up and I thought i would get one to see what the hub-bub was all about. It seems the well has run dry.

The story of my life sad smiley

....or is there some button tab I'm missing on the Dell site that i click on and the Dell Mini9 offerings spring up like magic on-screen and all is well (??).
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Dell Mini9: Did I completely miss the boat on this?
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: July 20, 2009 11:45AM
. . .I thought they were replaced with the Mini 10v. . .I think. . .?

. . .the boat might have left the port early. . .or you forgot to buy the ticket. . .or it sank at the dock. . .

(have I totally killed the boating metaphor. . .?)

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/2009 11:46AM by NewtonMP2100.
Posted by: djroga3
Date: July 20, 2009 11:49AM
you missed the boat...and free shipping
Posted by: mikebw
Date: July 20, 2009 11:52AM
The boat left, but it was the Titanic so don't be too upset.
Posted by: SDGuy
Date: July 20, 2009 11:53AM
What Newton said. The Mini 10V is a better deal at the outlet store. The Vostro A90 (i.e. "Business" version of the Mini 9) is just as pricey as a Mini 9.

There's a separate community on the mydellmini forums dedicated to OS X on the Mini 10V.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: July 20, 2009 12:00PM
Basically the Black w/ 512 are what is left, I suspect they are end of stock instead of actual refurbs. Occasionally a refurb does go through with more RAM, but they disappear rapidly. The most RAM Dell sells them with XP loaded is 1 GB.

Date: July 20, 2009 12:05PM
I was going to use the netbook as a travel/commuting diversion so the 9" form factor and weight on the Dell Mini9 was a big plus for me. This stinks. I guess I should've bought it when the craze was in full swing and put it up on the tippy top shelf of my closet, waiting until my birthday to open it. I snoozed. I loozed. damn you smiley
Posted by: SDGuy
Date: July 20, 2009 12:10PM
3d
I snoozed. I loozed. damn you smiley

Not completely - at least they're still available, although not as cheaply as before. I believe $155 was the low, with absolutely minimum RAM/SDD & Ubuntu.
Date: July 20, 2009 12:11PM
. . .or get the Dell Mini 10v. . .most guys exaggerate about that extra inch or so anywayz. . .

Posted by: djroga3
Date: July 20, 2009 12:13PM
Mine sits on the counter behind me...might use it later today.. long story but my TOTAL investment in $46..10.5.7, 2 Gig, 32 SSD...nice diversion, but not a full day work machine
Posted by: AAA
Date: July 20, 2009 12:15PM
djroga3
Mine sits on the counter behind me...might use it later today.. long story but my TOTAL investment in $46..10.5.7, 2 Gig, 32 SSD...nice diversion, but not a full day work machine

?
Posted by: artie67
Date: July 20, 2009 12:18PM
Go to the last pages. There is a ubuntu w/ 1g and 4g for $199. Has anyone done anything with the hard drives they swap out? A usb adapter would be nice.
Date: July 20, 2009 12:25PM
artie67
Go to the last pages. There is a ubuntu w/ 1g and 4g for $199. Has anyone done anything with the hard drives they swap out? A usb adapter would be nice.

Did you just put those there?! LOL I swear 30 mins ago they weren't there. Ackk. I only see 3 blacks with 1Gig Ram and XP for $259. No Ubuntu.

$259 doesn't sound as "fun" as the deal prices of yore.

Edit**
Ok. i see a few 1Gig w/Ubuntu now. Stock is fluctuating minute to minute. Too much pressure. I have to think now. LOL

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/2009 12:32PM by 3d.
Posted by: pinkoos
Date: July 20, 2009 12:26PM
Be forwarned, the RAM upgrade in the mini 10v is not for the faint of heart. Pretty much have to take the whole netbook apart to get to the RAM slot.

My daily record blog: [www.auditorymusings.com]

Posted by: JEBB
Date: July 20, 2009 12:35PM
A moment ago you could buy a refurb Mini 9 with 1GB RAM, 16GB SSD and XP for $259. That would do for a travel computer. I'd suggest buy that, trash XP and load Ubuntu 9.04 UNR. You can upgrade it to 2GB for cheap which markedly improves performance. You can also add a SDHC card for more disk space.

That's pretty much what I've done, save the trashing of XP which wasn't on my Mini 9. I didn't want to put OSX on it because I'd be too tempted to do a lot of work constantly syncing it with my regular Mac. I've been through that hassle before; never again.

For a ten-finger typist like myself the keyboard and touchpad on the Mini 9 can be a pain but I found that disabling the touchpad, and using a mouse and, with some practice, the keyboard becomes tolerable. That's the cons. The big pluses are the size, weight and having a tactile keyboard.

I use mine for Internet and email while traveling for short periods and when giving presentations; I use OpenOffice Impress for presentations.
Date: July 20, 2009 12:37PM
. . .I usually use mine in the restroom. . .wouldn't mind selling to you if you like but I can't guarantee that the smell will come out. . .censored smiley

Date: July 20, 2009 12:39PM
pinkoos
Be forwarned, the RAM upgrade in the mini 10v is not for the faint of heart. Pretty much have to take the whole netbook apart to get to the RAM slot.

Thanks for the heads-up. I remember reading about that in my research on the 10v... So RAM in all the Mini9's are easy to upgrade? So I SHOULD be getting a 512Mb Ubuntu and do the upgrade myself. Correct?

Update... Ackk ok the one 512Mb Ubuntu they had in stock sold out. I'll check it again later today after i get out of work.
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: July 20, 2009 01:29PM
3d
I was going to use the netbook as a travel/commuting diversion so the 9" form factor and weight on the Dell Mini9 was a big plus for me.

As mikebw implied, consider yourself lucky.
Posted by: PeterB
Date: July 20, 2009 01:42PM
I too missed the boat, but I was fine with letting it sail off without me. I didn't really see or feel the need for it, and also I figure that eventually Apple may come out with something of their own, and if/when they do, it's liable to be pretty good... kind of like how I felt about getting a smartphone...

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: miK.
Date: July 20, 2009 06:35PM
Use mine daily... the perfect hulu/video viewer while lying on the couch or in bed.
Just took a summer trip with it and the motel's free wireless connected easily.

I continue to get questions about what kind of computer it is (Dell logo is still
displayed, never covered it). I think the questions are because of the size. However,
now that free netbooks are being given away like toasters with a new DSL account,
I think more people are used to seeing these small 'books.

Sometimes I wonder, "What would Hodor say in this situation?" - Jim Gaffigan

Posted by: Mike Sellers
Date: July 21, 2009 07:32AM
PeterB
I didn't really see or feel the need for it . . .

I think Newt pointed out the most common use, even if most people won't admit it. grinning smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 173
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020