advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
REPOST--help--windows formatted ipod not recognized
Posted by: goodmanx
Date: July 22, 2009 08:08AM
I have an 80 gig Ipod (Model PA488LL) with no content on it. It is formatted for Windows. Neither my Mac nor my pc recognizes it. The problem appears to be that the Ipod doesn't have a driver that can be recognized or that can make it recognized. I’ve used different cables on both machines with the same result, so it’s likely not a cable problem. It seems to be fine doing what little it does (charge, clock, calendar, games). My pc is running Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002, SP3. My Mac is a power pc Mini running OS 10.5.7.

When I hold down the Ipod menu button and the center button simultaneously with the unit connected (as instructed in several sites) the screen goes dark, but there’s a very faint image of the Apple logo in the center of the screen. After holding those buttons down a few more seconds that image disappears. When I release the buttons, the unit opens, then the screen fades and then it repeats that cycle. When the screen is dark, the menu is faintly visible. When I hold down the play/pause button the screen immediately does dark, but the menu is still slightly visible and it repeats the light/dark cycle (light about 6 seconds, dark about 13 seconds, using the trusty ol’ “one one thousand ...” method). Holding down the play/pause button does not seem to have any effect.

Unplugging the unit and holding down the play/pause button appears to turn it off. When I again touch the play/pause button it immediately opens (screen brightens, then dims with menu slightly visible, then the screen goes blank, apparently in a sleep mode).

When I plug into the pc, I get a message in the bottom right corner of the screen, "One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned and Windows does not recognize it. For assistance in solving this problem, click this window."

The USB controller in the device manager shows an "unknown device". Clicking on that item tells me that "no drivers are installed for this device..." and it sends me to the troubleshooter. Details for the device shows the "device instance ID" as "USB/VID_0000/5&PID&3873A573&0&2".

In the device manager, under USB controllers I get:

4 x "Intel 82801DB/DBM USB Enhanced Controller Host - 24"CD/2/4/7 sequentially.

"Unknown device" (which seems to be the problem item)

6 x "usb hub root"

2 x "VIA Rev 5or later USB Universal Host Controller"

1 x "VIA USB Enhanced Host Controller"

All of them except the unknown device report "the device is working properly."

The ipod does not show up as a device.

"My Computer" on the pc does not show the Ipod as a drive, though it does show the Sansa Clip 4g drive used for Rhapsody and plugged into the usb port adjacent to the one into which the Ipod is plugged on the front of the pc.

I'll appreciate any assistance.

Many thanks to lafinfil for his helpfulness when I originally posted this problem last weekend.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: REPOST--help--windows formatted ipod not recognized
Posted by: btfc
Date: July 22, 2009 12:33PM
Is it under warranty?
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: July 22, 2009 12:44PM
These support articles may be helpful:

[support.apple.com]
[support.apple.com]
[support.apple.com]
[support.apple.com]
[support.apple.com]
Posted by: lafinfil
Date: July 22, 2009 05:13PM
My Mac is a power pc Mini running OS 10.5.7.

I believe that the base of the problem (based on the error message and my previous experience)
is that the formatting on the iPod is screwed up to the point that it can not even load the iTunes software.

Did you try reformatting it using Disk Utility on the Mac ? Maybe that would work.

As I described in the other thread, I had to go in and manually reformat my nephews iPod

[forums.macresource.com]

I will be at my sisters for a birthday party this evening and will take a look at an iPod hooked up
on a Windows XP machine to confirm the location of the iPod when I formatted it.

Posted by: lafinfil
Date: July 22, 2009 09:48PM
OK - back from dinner and I took a look at an iPod plugged into my brother-in-laws XP machine to refresh my memory.

The iPod appeared under the Start > My Computer window and it appeared as a K Drive
This is where I found it and reformatted it previously. My brother-in-law also commented that my sisters
iPod had developed a similar problem (like my nephews) and he had to reformat it. He is blaming Windows XP
for the glitch. He is also suspicious that XP is what killed his Western Digital USB eternal hard drive last winter.

He using a 2 year old Dell desktop that has also given him other problems.

back to what I said before - maybe try formatting it using the mac mini

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 128
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018