advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
I love Artie Shaw
Posted by: AllGold
Date: July 25, 2009 02:19PM
But it's a real tragedy that most of the recordings of his music are low fidelity mono. It seems like even stuff that was remastered in 2000 sounds pretty bad. But I guess that's the best you can do when a lot of the original recordings are from 1938.

I couldn't find much of anything that sounded good at Amazon. I'm seeing a ton of albums on iTunes that weren't there before. That's good but the problem is there's so much duplication and it's hit or miss whether a particular song sounds good or bad on any given album. And for some songs, I can't seem to find anything but mono across 10 different versions.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: I love Artie Shaw
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: July 25, 2009 03:04PM
Let me know if you find a good one. Have you heard "Nightmare", which later became the James Bond Theme"?
Posted by: artie67
Date: July 25, 2009 07:05PM
"Summit Ridge Drive" is a favorite of mine. The "Drive" overlooks Hollywood and the Capitol Records building (stack of pancakes). The tune comes from an album in which Shaw featured the harpsichord. It features the Grammercy Five(another Hollywood street name) and seems to be hard to find. Check it out for free on this Amazon link, seems Clint Eastwood used it. I must also add that it was used by the KPFK-FM "The Car Show" for the last 35 years or so.
[www.amazon.com]
Posted by: Lee3
Date: July 26, 2009 10:26AM
I listened to that clip and it instantly reminded me of the Car Show.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: July 26, 2009 12:30PM
I have "Artie Shaw Re-Creates his Great '38 Band." It was released in 1963 and sounds fabulous. It's also very true to the original. The only problem is it has only 12 tracks. And of course, no vocals with Helen Forrest. I read somewhere that Shaw didn't like band singers and only tolerated them because they were very popular.

I downloaded it ages ago. I would love to buy it but can't find it.

About the Car Show...
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: July 26, 2009 02:45PM
I must also add that it was used by the KPFK-FM "The Car Show" for the last 35 years or so.

I've been trying to play an mp3 download of the Car Show. An into plays but when the actual podcast starts, I get nada. No audio, though VLC and iTunes shows the program's length and progress.

Any ideas?

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: July 27, 2009 05:00PM
Dennis S
Have you heard "Nightmare", which later became the James Bond Theme"?

It may have some similar note progressions, but it was hardly the James Bond Theme!

John Barry doesn't need to appropriate others' works.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 165
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020