advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
OT: Sounds like upgrading from XP to Win7 will be a snap...
Posted by: pdq
Date: July 27, 2009 01:24PM
...as in, the sound of pencils breaking out of frustration, or the back of the proverbial camel after the last straw.

Information Week deconstructs the options here:

[www.informationweek.com]

Some highlights: You can't boot from the upgrade install disk and install Win 7. You also can't convert your existing XP installation to Win 7. You can wipe your existing disk, and do a clean install, however. Except with an upgrade disk, because Win 7 won't install unless there's a valid existing copy of the previous system already on the disk. For that, buy a full-price retail copy.

Apparently the thing you can do is to do a parallel clean install of Win 7, side by side with XP. But you can't do that on the same partition. You have to either put it on a physically separate hard drive, or install it on a separate disk partition. If your drive doesn't have two partitions, there are PC programs that will let you repartition it, although IW calls this "intimidating for the non-technical user". Assuming you figure this out, then...well, I'll let the IW piece speak for itself:

"If you resize your existing XP partition and install a Windows 7 partition in the empty space, it'll work -- up until the point you decide to remove the XP partition entirely. Since the entire system's boot information was contained in the XP partition, guess what? You've now got an unbootable system.

To fix that, you'll need to resize the Windows 7 partition to fill the empty space (best to do this part now), and use the Windows 7 install media to repair the boot information.”

Got that?

What about all my settings? Reenter them. Or use the ironically named "Windows Easy Transfer". IW again:

"After the program finishes detecting what can be copied and presents you with a short list of what to copy, select "Customize" and then "Advanced" to see a full directory tree. You'll want to do this to make doubly sure you're backing up everything you want, but you'll also want to avoid copying files that are not actually in your Users folder but are hosted elsewhere."

Uh, okay.

"Note that you can save the Easy Transfer backup file to the partition where you're going to install Windows 7, _as long as you don't format the partition_. You'll be best off saving the file to a removable drive, a network location, or a second hard drive on the same system, just for the sake of complete safety."

Grandpa should have no problem with that.

"One final piece of advice: When you create your new Windows 7 installation, create two user accounts. One will be the user you're migrating from your previous installation -- i.e., where you'll be restoring all the user settings -- and the other will be a user account for the sake of temporary administration until everything's been migrated over."

That was easy. And then after all this, at least one commenter says that you have to reinstall your other software programs anyway. (Is this true?)

You could upgrade XP to Vista instead, and then upgrade to Win 7, if you've got a valid copy of a Vista upgrade disk laying around, but Information Week doesn't recommend this, as "it's bound to introduce so much flakiness as to make it not worth the trouble."

BTW, you can't even do an upgrade from the Win 7 prerelease version. Clean install again. Reinstall programs.

Bottom line: the only thing that's going to get the many XP users to upgrade to Win 7 is getting a new computer with Win 7 already installed. I guess that's just Microsoft's personal contribution to rescuing the moribund PC makers.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2009 01:28PM by pdq.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: OT: Sounds like upgrading from XP to Win7 will be a snap...
Posted by: lazydays
Date: July 27, 2009 01:58PM
I'm not sure this is as big a problem as it sounds. I know that all of my xp computers at work are too old and slow to even consider upgrading to vista or windows 7. It is getting harder and harder to buy a new computer with xp. So I suspect buying a new computer is the smart way to go anyway.

It is a little bit like saying you want to upgrade from os9 to the latest and greatest version of osx. Probably not going to happen on the same hardware.
Date: July 27, 2009 02:02PM
...so will you be buying new PC's and/or migrating to Win 7?

And would that be for Win 7, or because of age of the hardware?
Posted by: olnacl
Date: July 27, 2009 02:09PM
Generally speaking (on XP and older anyway) you can insert the XP disk at the appropriate time to verify that you qualify for the upgrade. Of course, with PC makers giving users a "restore" partition rather than an OS disk nowadays, that may be a problem. And Windows 7 may change that anyway.
Otherwise it's business as usual for M$ - make it as difficult as possible for the PC user. On the other hand, without Windows, I'd have no IT work at all.

Date: July 27, 2009 02:30PM
olnacl
...you can insert the XP disk at the appropriate time to verify that you qualify for the upgrade.

If I'm reading you right, the IW article says that's not possible with the XP-to-Win 7 upgrade:

2. You can't perform an in-place upgrade of any kind by booting from the DVD, even if you have a valid OS for an in-place upgrade. You have to boot the operating system you want to upgrade, then insert the DVD and run the upgrade
Posted by: olnacl
Date: July 27, 2009 02:40PM
Yes, I stand corrected (although in my case I had an actual Windows upgrade 2000 CD when I successfully upgraded to XP on a clean install) - he alludes to that possibility in the last paragraph:
To that end, don't preemptively erase an existing XP install if you're planning on upgrading to 7. Just providing a copy of XP's install media -- the CD -- won't do the trick. (I suspect some of this is because many XP "install" CDs were in fact system-image CDs that the Windows installer cannot make head or tail of, and so can't be used to verify an installation.)
I guess someone will have to buy Winblows 7 and try it.

Posted by: Racer X
Date: July 27, 2009 04:37PM
olnacl
Yes, I stand corrected (although in my case I had an actual Windows upgrade 2000 CD when I successfully upgraded to XP on a clean install) - he alludes to that possibility in the last paragraph:
To that end, don't preemptively erase an existing XP install if you're planning on upgrading to 7. Just providing a copy of XP's install media -- the CD -- won't do the trick. (I suspect some of this is because many XP "install" CDs were in fact system-image CDs that the Windows installer cannot make head or tail of, and so can't be used to verify an installation.)
I guess someone will have to buy Winblows 7 and try it.

that's like paying a hooker for the privelage of getting AIDS.
Posted by: lazydays
Date: July 27, 2009 06:35PM
I don't think any of the computers inside our company would qualify to run vista or windows 7 but they do exactly what we need them to do. Our users run a telnet application and firefox.

Most of the computers were bought around 2000 so I would anticipate another year or two and they will be replaced.
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: July 27, 2009 07:45PM
Lazydays has nailed the problem. Most of the computers in my building running Windows XP are more than 5 years old. Seeing as nothing has changed, there was no need to upgrade. Windows Vista crippled most of them...I tried a few. Windows 7 does the same, again, I tried a few. So, the upgrade cycle will likely mean that at some point all new computers will be ordered with Win7. Then through attrition we'll get rid of the old machines.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: Speedy
Date: July 28, 2009 05:05AM
Come on, it can't be all that hard. It is Monopoly$oft after all. I'm almost certain they'll get it right by the time the second service pack comes out.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 171
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018