advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Need some help with Sed/Perl, trying to remove strings based on Regular Expressions
Posted by: microchip
Date: July 27, 2009 01:46PM
I have a PMWiki and I would like to make the actual PMWiki files a bit more readable.

There parts in the files like "host:093209u029j3r0923r09we0f9i0we" which I would like to remove.

I've trued something along the lines of "cat file | sed 's/diff:.*[^ ]//g'" to no avail.

Any help? Or any better way to attack this?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Need some help with Sed/Perl, trying to remove strings based on Regular Expressions
Posted by: rz
Date: July 27, 2009 02:39PM
I'm a bit rusty on using sed, but I'm confused at the s/diff part. Shouldn't you be searching on "host.*" and replacing it with nothing?
Re: Need some help with Sed/Perl, trying to remove strings based on Regular Expressions
Posted by: microchip
Date: July 27, 2009 02:59PM
There are a few different prefixes of lines, host, diff, I just so happened to post a sample from two separate things.

I tried host* and it would remove whole lines. I just tried perl and it actually worked much better but I had to individually assign each of the numbers:

perl 's/diff:[0-9][0-9].........//g' and so on.

I realized that migrating this content may not be worth the while, so I've put it on the back burner for now.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 220
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020