advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Insurance question
Posted by: troywellbuilt
Date: July 28, 2009 09:25AM
A builder has bought the house next to me, tore it down, and is putting up a McMansion. He erected a temporary electric service. Guys putting in the sewer line removed 2 of the 4 braces holding up the pole and it fell over onto my car during a rainstorm. I got an estimate of $3K. If I submit this thru my insurance my company sez I have to pay the $500 deductible and they will pay it back to me when and if they collect from his ins. co. Is this the way to go, or should I go directly thru his insurance company? Will my insurance Co. look out for me better than I can? Do you think there is the possibility they can't collect from his insurance and I'll be stuck with the claim? Thanks!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Insurance question
Posted by: graylocks
Date: July 28, 2009 09:53AM
when my car was rear-ended i went through the other person's insurance. definitely a plus for me in keeping me from being out-of-pocket for even a short time on the deductible. don't know if moving vehicles options are available for failing poles. i thought this person's insurance company did treat me well but i bet that would vary from company to company.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: AlphaDog
Date: July 28, 2009 10:07AM
At least give them a chance to say no. Unless and until you've been denied the claim by the other person's insurance company you won't have to cough up cash. I've never made a claim through my own company when I knew someone else was at fault, and I've always gotten good results. Well, except once when the other driver didn't describe the accident to his company the way it happened, but I still eventually got paid for the damage to my car; it just took a bit longer because I had to submit the proof he lied to them.
Posted by: Michael
Date: July 28, 2009 11:52AM
I'd make one phone call and if the builder/insurance company aren't immediately responsive, I'd go to my insurance company and let them deal with it. That's what you've been paying them for.

I'd also be prepared for the insurance company to tell you that they have recommended repair facilities and those will "guarantee" the repair for your ownership of the car. I wouldn't use those unless I was happy with them. They should pay to have it repaired at the facility of your choosing.

I'd also get additional $ for dimunition of value. Your car won't be worth what it was prior to the damage, even if repaired well. The insurance should make you whole.

Here's a strange (and probably remote) possibility--does the damage reduce the value of the car to less than $4,500? If so and if it got official mileage less than 18 mpg and if you want a new car that gets better mileage, you might check on the Cash for Clunkers law that has just gone live.
Posted by: Wailer
Date: July 28, 2009 01:10PM
There is no reason to get your insurer involved and potentially have your rates increased. If you didn't have insurance, you would have the other party's insurance take care of it or you would need to sue them.

I'd call the owner of that lot and explain what happened. If he doesn't respond, I'd go straight to small claims. You may just want to let your insurance company know so that if the guy isn't properly insured or prevails in court, you can then file a comprehensive claim and pay the deductible.

I'm guessing he may want to settle without insurance as well. $3k isn't much and he doesn't want his rates going higher or creating ill-will if his insurance company makes it hard on you. At least that would be my attitude if I was clearly at fault and you were my neighbor-to-be.
Posted by: ItsMeAlison
Date: July 28, 2009 02:03PM
Absolutely go through their ins. co. I was recently in an accident and did not want to pay ANYTHING out of my pocket. Make sure you get them to give you a rental car while your car is in the shop.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 159
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018