advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Anyone miss Jay Leno?
Posted by: Black
Date: July 29, 2009 12:12AM
It's kind of like he never existed . . .

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Anyone miss Jay Leno?
Posted by: microchip
Date: July 29, 2009 12:29AM
Yes. I await his return, but fear it will never be the same.
Posted by: guitarist
Date: July 29, 2009 12:29AM
I miss the old Jay Leno...the pre-Tonight Show Jay. When he was just another stand-up comic. In those days he was a regular guest on Letterman. With his sport jacket sleeves pushed up, and bushy hair, he looked like a mechanic, with an edgy, funny, slightly reckless quality. I must be thinking, late 1980s or early 1990s.

By the time he was grooming himself for Johnny's desk, being nice, inoffensive, and bland, except for a weird fondness for grade-school poop and fart humor, he was the standard for all-American talk show charm, courtesy, and friendliness. A guy who clearly loves show business. I admit I was inclined more toward Letterman's subversive crankiness and unease with show biz conventions. Uneven, but occasionally surprising and deadly funny. Darker humor. Jay was like milk and cookies, Letterman was like a slice of lemon. Understandable that Jay would steadily have better ratings.

What made Jay Leno appealing? I never quite got the Leno style, as host. I respect his career, but Carson still has the place of supreme honor in that tradition.
Posted by: RE:up
Date: July 29, 2009 12:35AM
I still miss Steve Allen. The. best. ever.

Never made it to late show host, but Ernie Kovacs was great also.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: July 29, 2009 12:43AM
i miss Dick Cavett.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: artie67
Date: July 29, 2009 12:57AM
Ah, Steve had a cast of Tom Poston, Don Knotts, Bill Dana, Louie Nye, and Pat Harrington. "Man on the Street" and visits to the Hollywood Ranch Market. Those were the days my friend......
Posted by: Black
Date: July 29, 2009 12:58AM
Well, come to think of it, I miss . . .
[www.youtube.com]

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: July 29, 2009 01:02AM
I liked Carson best, but Cavett was good. Jack Paar scared me. I thought he was going to go crazy on screen or something. I hated Joey Bishop and especially hated Regis on there with him. I loved Letterman at first on NBC, especially with Larry "Bud" Melman. Guitarist is exactly right about Leno in the early days.
Date: July 29, 2009 01:11AM
Dennis S
I hated Joey Bishop and especially hated Regis on there with him.

i loved Joey Bishop! He and Jackie DeShannon were the top two on my Beautiful People in the World list. i watched Dick Cavett because Joey said he was a good guy and it was okay that Dick was replacing him. so then i loved Dick Cavett too. oh, to be 16 again...

Think of your fellow man
Lend him a helping hand
Put a little love in your heart

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: guitarist
Date: July 29, 2009 01:37AM
I had no idea how many AARP members frequent here!

(I get junk mail from AARP too)

What next, gonna get misty about Milton Berle, Ed Sullivan, Howdy Doody, and Gene Autry?

From ADWEEK, some positive previews of Jay's next chapter:

Jay Leno's new show could be a powerhouse.

NEW YORK While the fall TV season is still a good two months down the road, a New York-based research company already has a bead on which new shows are likely to break out in 2009-10.

After subjecting the fall slate to a comprehensive review, NewMediaMetrics’ predictive analysis suggests that CBS’ NCIS: Los Angeles should scare up big ratings Tuesday nights at 9 p.m., while NBC’s Jay Leno Show could prove to be a powerhouse at 10 p.m., particularly on Tuesday nights.

Also promising are: ABC’s Flash Forward, which leads off the network’s Thursday night lineup; NBC’s Monday 9 p.m. hospital drama, Trauma; Fox’s Family Guy spin-off The Cleveland Show, Sunday at 8:30 p.m.; and the CW’s Vampire Diaries, which will hold down the Thursday 8 p.m. time slot.

Other new series flagged by NewMediaMetrics are ABC’s The Forgotten, the Fox musical comedy Glee and the one-two punch of Cougar Town and Eastwick, which will cap ABC’s Wednesday night lineup beginning this fall.

Including the mid-season replacements V and Happy Town, ABC boasts nine of the top 20 new shows, per NMM’s analysis. This season marks the fifth in which the researcher has predicted the outcome of the fall schedule; last year, NMM’s picks resulted in an 86.4 percent accuracy rate.

NMM’s success rate has been steady since it first began calling the outcome of the fall broadcast season back in 2005. That year, the company correctly predicted that Fox’s Prison Break and CBS’ Criminal Minds would be break-out hits, while giving low marks to the largely forgotten NBC ensemble drama Inconceivable and Fox’s Head Cases, which was yanked after just two episodes.

Of the projected top 20 new shows, six are either spin-offs (such as NCIS: L.A., The Cleveland Show) or revisitations of long-ago properties (V, Melrose Place, Eastwick). Meanwhile, Leno is the fall schedule’s “known unknown.” The host is a familiar property, having helmed The Tonight Show for 17 years, although the new format remains something of an enigma.

In addition to the Tuesday night Leno, NMM believes the variety show will get traction on Thursday nights as well. (Certainly, the Thursday shows will benefit from a wealth of high-profile film talent, as the studios will look to trot out their A-listers on the night before their films open.)

NMM co-founders Gary Reisman and Denise Larson noted that while no one has seen a final blueprint for the 10 p.m. Leno program, the elevated expectations are a function of viewers’ “emotional attachment” to the comedian. Per NMM’s findings, 17 percent of Leno’s core demo gave Jay a score of at least 9 out of 10, based on their fondness for his past work. That attachment translates into a group of consumers who are much more likely to watch Leno than anything else in the time period.

The NMM team’s research model is derived from methods developed by Jonathan Bowlby, the British behavioralist who in the 1940s developed a methodological approach to quantifying the emotional bond between mothers and children. A cornerstone of sociology and developmental psychology, Bowlby’s attachment theory can also be used in marketing and media applications, as demonstrated by Reisman and Larson’s work.

Further atomization of viewer response data allows for greater insight into how a person’s favorite TV programs and networks may be predictive of his or her consumer preferences. For example, NMM believes that men between the ages of 35 and 49 who also enjoy kicking back with Grey Goose vodka are more likely to tune in to new series like V, The Vampire Diaries, Glee and Leno. And if NMM’s findings hold true, women 18-49 who shop at Old Navy will be tuning in for Lifetime’s Deadbeat Dads (in development).

All told, NMM’s database tracks 220 brands, ranging from Absolut vodka to Xbox. Linkages between brand affinity can be drawn to the five broadcast nets and some 35 cable outlets, including: Discovery Channel, USA Network, History, MTV, HGTV, TNT, ESPN and FX.

While NMM’s 86 percent success rate is impressive, the Bowlby method is obviously not infallible. For example, the new Mark Burnett unscripted series, Wedding Day, was expected to be the ninth most-watched new program on cable this year, based on NMM’s projected emotional response readings. In fact, the show stands as TNT’s lone dud of the summer, as the June 16 premiere drew a mere 853,000 total viewers. That said, NMM did predict big things for USA’s Royal Pains, as well as TNT’s Hawthorne and Dark Blue, all of which have been ratings dynamite.

Reisman said the NMM approach to connecting consumer brands and TV properties is designed to give marketers a greater sense of where they should allocate their advertising dollars. “What we’re doing is prioritizing shows and networks, based on where the people who are actually going to purchase your product are spending their media time,” Reisman said. “Simply pushing out that shotgun approach no longer makes any sense.”

Or, as Larson notes: “Advertisers need to recognize that consumers actually pull their favorite brands and media to them&hellipUltimately, when they talk about efficiencies they’re talking about price rather than the intrinsic value of the media and the consumer base. They miss out on the emotional connection, which means they’re overlooking the bonds that link the consumer and their media of choice.”
Posted by: RgrF
Date: July 29, 2009 05:43AM
graylocks
I miss Dick Cavett.

Cavett required his audience have an ability to focus and think, the others are entertainers - a traveling circus designed to sell advertising.

In fact, Richard Burton was still pondering whether to do my show, and it was thought that my visiting him backstage informally might help.

"I tried to imagine what fears or hesitations Burton might have about appearing with me. Could he be afraid that the rich voice, those rugged good looks, the manly erotic charm, the hypnotic blue eyes, the articulacy, the fine wit and the ready storehouse of classical and modern literary quotations and allusions were not quite enough to qualify him for sitting next to Cavett? (Did anyone think, just now, that I was describing myself?)"

may need a subscription
Posted by: Michael
Date: July 29, 2009 06:44AM
guitarist

Joey Bishop and Dick Cavett were my guys.

I've tried to use my AARP card for several years but have never found a discount that I couldn't better in some other way. But, I bought my first cup of "senior" coffee at MacDonalds two weeks ago. Finally some benefit in getting old.
Posted by: vicrock
Date: July 29, 2009 07:08AM
Who stays up that late? I haven't seen 11pm in more years than I can count. I guess it is obvious why - it is 5:08 am and I've been up for an hour.
Posted by: blooz
Date: July 29, 2009 07:12AM
guitarist
[/i]

I miss the old Jackie Gleason show, and Jimmie Durante.
"Good night, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are."

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.
—Friedrich Nietzsche
Western Massachusetts
Posted by: spacescape
Date: July 29, 2009 07:14AM
I miss Leno and I'm only 34. ;)

Really Don't like Conan O'brien ... Not sure why but he seems as if he "TRIES" to hard ... Some of his stuff is funny ... But, I enjoyed Leno more.
Posted by: Mike Sellers
Date: July 29, 2009 07:28AM
graylocks
i miss Dick Cavett.

Yeah, I was one of Cavett's 23 viewers. Too bad the show didn't make it. I need to pick up some of the DVDs sometime, with all those great musicians.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: July 29, 2009 07:39AM
Ah, Steve had a cast of Tom Poston, Don Knotts ("Nope!"), Bill Dana, Louie Nye, and Pat Harrington. "Man on the Street" and visits to the Hollywood Ranch Market. Those were the days my friend......

Indeed they were. The Man on the Street interviews were my favorite! And the Angry Reporter.

Cavette was--ok, as was Bishop. And Philbin was is announcer.

But Carson was The Man. He was funnier when is jokes failed than when most comedians killed. And Leno was at his best as a guest on that show.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Surfrider
Date: July 29, 2009 07:46AM
Leno's like the funny uncle doing magic tricks like pulling quarters out of your ears.

Letterman is the uncle that has no kids and doesn't want any now, goddammit!!!

Conan is the uncle that lears at the nieces (and nephews) and scares the kids enough that they want to go home early from Grandmas, apple pie being served or not.
Posted by: iaJim
Date: July 29, 2009 07:48AM
Not one bit. He never seems to listen to is guests, and seems to be waiting for them to shut up so he can talk. No, I don't miss him.
Posted by: AAA
Date: July 29, 2009 08:01AM
I miss Chevy Chase. He had a very genuine approach to his interview show. ;)
Posted by: Dakota
Date: July 29, 2009 08:05AM
Hey guys, Leno isn't dead yet! Anyway, 11:35pm EST was always a special time for the family. Between him and that annoying, obnoxious weatherman there was no contest. I grew up with Carson so he is the king. Watching him now makes you realize how coarse TV has become. You just can imagine Carson use the kind of language routinely heard on TV shows todays, even Leno's.

BTW, Mike Douglas has gone unmentioned.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: July 29, 2009 08:34AM
And Leno was at his best as a guest on that show.

so true; there was something in their chemistry that worked very well (although we later all learned that Carson favored Letterman to take his show)

I remember seeing Leno live in the mid and late 1980s and he was one of those comedians one could see with one's parents (I did) and he was pretty funny, sort of like an early version of Seinfeld's humor.
Date: July 29, 2009 08:54AM
vicrock
Who stays up that late? I haven't seen 11pm in more years than I can count. I guess it is obvious why - it is 5:08 am and I've been up for an hour.

i'm up late but it's been decades since i had the time to waste watching TV. well, that's not true - maybe certain kinds of TV waste. late at night i may use the time to catch up on shows i've recorded. thank god for VCRs and now TIVO.

Posted by: Yoyodyne ArtWorks
Date: July 29, 2009 08:55AM
guitarist
I miss the old Jay Leno...the pre-Tonight Show Jay. When he was just another stand-up comic. In those days he was a regular guest on Letterman. With his sport jacket sleeves pushed up, and bushy hair, he looked like a mechanic, with an edgy, funny, slightly reckless quality. I must be thinking, late 1980s or early 1990s.

By the time he was grooming himself for Johnny's desk, being nice, inoffensive, and bland, except for a weird fondness for grade-school poop and fart humor, he was the standard for all-American talk show charm, courtesy, and friendliness. A guy who clearly loves show business. I admit I was inclined more toward Letterman's subversive crankiness and unease with show biz conventions. Uneven, but occasionally surprising and deadly funny. Darker humor. Jay was like milk and cookies, Letterman was like a slice of lemon. Understandable that Jay would steadily have better ratings.

What made Jay Leno appealing? I never quite got the Leno style, as host. I respect his career, but Carson still has the place of supreme honor in that tradition.

Completely agree.

Re Cavett: He had interesting guests, but was/is a pathological egomaniac and laughably pretentious.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: July 29, 2009 09:01AM
. . .I miss....understood. . .a lot. . . .!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: July 29, 2009 09:06AM
although we later all learned that Carson favored Letterman to take his show

And I think that's because Carson knew that Letterman could really carry a show and that Leno could not. Carson had a long run and however different Letterman would be, he'd bear the standard of The Tonight Show better than Leno.

I think Leno might still be good as a live standup. Like Seinfled, as far from Martin Lawrence types as one could get. Thank God.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: July 29, 2009 09:07AM
don't miss the lot of them. They're all too full of themselves and love to hear themselves talk.
Worse then FM DJs talking over the intros and outros of songs and spewing on. Feh!
Johnny was the best.
Letterman and Leno (to a lesser degree for me) were funny for a while, but tiresome now.
Starting to tire of Jon Stewarts endless yacks and interruptions. Wish he'd either drop the guest idea, or let them talk.
Posted by: 3d
Date: July 29, 2009 09:54AM
I miss Howard Stern on free radio.
Posted by: TLB
Date: July 29, 2009 09:56AM
I miss Headlines and Jay Walking, but little else. I don't watch Conan so I greatly enjoy the extra 30-60 minutes of sleep each night.
Posted by: Acer
Date: July 29, 2009 10:09AM
Where's the love for Merv Griffin? So sooothing...
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: July 29, 2009 10:10AM
. . .also miss....placed....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: freescotland
Date: July 29, 2009 10:30AM
Another Carson fan here, but the closest thing to Steve Allen and Ernie Kovacs is Craig Ferguson. Indulgent, silly, yes. But at his manic best nobody on late is close to being as funny. He is intelligent, did you see the hour long Desmond Tutu interview?, and poking fun at the business in ways with a serious and funny edge nobody else attempts.

Conan has his moments early on, but wore thin years ago. And Jimmy Fallon remains the most unwatchable hour on late night in my memory. NBC gave him a blank check, but money does not make him any funnier. Just compare the current Saturday Night Live to the early day, even the next generation which took such a hit. And don't get me started on how edgy funny SCTV was.

Another AARP opinion.
Posted by: lafinfil
Date: July 29, 2009 12:00PM
No love here for Spike Feresten and Talk Show ?

Posted by: Seacrest
Date: July 29, 2009 01:45PM
I miss Sammy Maudlin.

And, of course, Bobby Bittman.

"HOw aRe yA!"

I am not Ryan Seacrest, and I do not approve this message.
Posted by: chopper
Date: July 29, 2009 01:58PM
He'll be driving up to Laguna and Monterey this weekend, or if it's really nice he'll ride. You can ask him yourself.
Posted by: colonel panic
Date: July 29, 2009 03:16PM
Never watched Leno, he always played it safe, never took chances and consequently had a mundane show. I've always been a Letterman fan myself and will certainly miss him when he goes off the air.

"They don't call me Colonel because I'm some dumb a$$ army guy" Colonel Homer J. Simpson
Posted by: freescotland
Date: July 30, 2009 02:52PM
That made me laugh and get out my SCTV dvd collection.

Thanks, Seacrest.

Seacrest
I miss Sammy Maudlin.

And, of course, Bobby Bittman.

"HOw aRe yA!"
Posted by: rocketiz
Date: July 30, 2009 10:00PM
Leno in my opinion was better at it than Conan. I find Conan to be too juvenile- maybe more appropriate for local cableTV. Although Leno got too predictable, I think he could identify with the average slob better than Conan. So to answer your question, for me, I do miss Leno who frankly is much superior to Conan. I also like Greg Ferguson- he's silly but intelligent and has a way of endearing himself to the audience. I find Letterman an aquired taste, but sometimes I get too big of a dose and find him tiresome. I did like Carson- he was like an institution like Paar or even Walter Cronkite.

I'm old enough that I watched Steve Allen and, although he could be very very silly (sometime he could not stop laughing), he was much more intelligent and inovative than Conan (and Leno). Also he had his own talents (such as music- he was an accomplished piano player. I miss him.

My 2 cents.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2009 10:01PM by rocketiz.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: July 30, 2009 10:18PM
Yoyodyne ArtWorks

Re Cavett: He had interesting guests, but was/is a pathological egomaniac and laughably pretentious.

My Dad could not stand Cavett because of that. He was always dropping the names of Groucho, Woody and the Lunts. And, he had that story about going to Yale he always told.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: August 02, 2009 04:13AM
Arsenio Hall.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 190
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020