Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $93.94 ( 0.00 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Getting hangup or prank calls? trapcall.com
Posted by: evilrobot
Date: August 04, 2009 11:04AM
I've been getting a lot of hang up phone calls. Usually late at night with a 'private number' as the caller id. Bugs the **** out of me, especially if it starts after I'm asleep. I found a free service, trapcall.com, that allows you to reject the call, then invisibly to the caller 'unmasks' the number and sends you an email/sms. I signed up for the free service just as the moron decided he wanted to play on the phone last night, and caught his number after it was unmasked by trapcall. Then, took the number and did a $5 reverse phone lookup from intelius.com. I don't recognize the persons name or what connection, if any, that they have to me. Now, what to do with this information.... hmmmm.... (Seriously, I'll turn it over to AT&T if it occurs one more time.)

My point is that you CAN find out who is hiding behind the private number or blocked i.d. and there was a real piece of mind learning it's a 'nobody' playing with the phone.

Upside:
voicemails delivered to email as an mp3
5 minutes to set up
inexpensive if you do decide to subscribe
Downside:
the free tier service with trapcall reroutes your voicemail through their messaging system making you listen to an ad before getting your messages

[www.trapcall.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2009 11:04AM by evilrobot.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Getting hangup or prank calls? trapcall.com
Posted by: threeprong
Date: August 04, 2009 11:08AM
It was probably TrapCall calling you to do a customer service satisfaction survey.
Posted by: evilrobot
Date: August 04, 2009 11:15AM
No. The calls started before I registered or even learned about the service.

(or did I overlook the /sarcasm?)
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: August 04, 2009 11:26AM
My point is that you CAN find out who is hiding behind the private number or blocked i.d. and there was a real piece of mind learning it's a 'nobody' playing with the phone.

True, but the phone company can also block that number without the recipient having to do much of anything.

But if one gets the mystery callers number, one could call them and say, in any number of ways, "don't call anymore".

Often those types of numbers are the result of the caller having the wrong number, say from a girl he met at a club who gave him a bogus number to make him go away.

Try answering the phone "Detective Gains, Electronic Crimes Unit, who are you?"

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

There is no safety for honest men
except by believing all possible evil
of evil men.

Pixels were born to be punished. -Frederick Van Johnson

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* Sigs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Carm
Date: August 04, 2009 11:48AM
Block private numbers. Works for me easy and free.
Posted by: Wailer
Date: August 04, 2009 12:54PM
Carm
Block private numbers. Works for me easy and free.

You have this service for free on which carrier? I'd like to have the message saying "the number you have called does not accept blocked or private numbers. Please press "0" to unblock your number and complete the call." Even though I don't have caller ID, I feel like this'll cut down on a lot of low-budget scammers who don't know how to spoof their phone number. Last time I checked, AT&T charged $5/mo for this kind of blocking.

I'd prefer not having the "please hang up and dial *82 before redialing the number". That is a pain for a lot of people who have good reason to block their phone number.
Posted by: decay
Date: August 04, 2009 01:09PM
Posted by: Tofer
Date: August 04, 2009 02:42PM
evilrobot
Now, what to do with this information.... hmmmm....

I suggest calling the person up, and saying, "Hey ****head, what's the deal? Sorry, I mean, Hey [real name], what's the deal?"

-Tofer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2009 02:43PM by Tofer.
Posted by: wurm
Date: August 04, 2009 02:47PM
Wailer
...I'd like to have the message saying "the number you have called does not accept blocked or private numbers. Please press "0" to unblock your number and complete the call." Even though I don't have caller ID, I feel like this'll cut down on a lot of low-budget scammers who don't know how to spoof their phone number. Last time I checked, AT&T charged $5/mo for this kind of blocking.

I'd prefer not having the "please hang up and dial *82 before redialing the number". That is a pain for a lot of people who have good reason to block their phone number.

I'll give you a hell of a deal on one of these that has never even been opened.
Posted by: testcase
Date: August 04, 2009 03:45PM
My town has two exchanges; 878 & 874. 878 was the original exchange and so, many people dial starting with 878... when they should be dialing 874...

Unfortunately for me, the people who have 874 with my last four digits are scumbags with more ignorant scumbag friends who used to call at all hours. Occasionally, I'd mess with the idiot who calls for his girlfriend by telling him I'll get her and them putting him on hold forever.

Since I only have the most basic service, I don't have Caller ID or any other Premium services. Its' been a while since I've had any calls for these morons. Maybe they canceled their landline.
Posted by: CJsNvrUrly
Date: August 04, 2009 05:41PM
I keep getting calls on my cell (a number that I don't give out) that originate from 888-306-0549. I'd love to block them.

bunny smileyBedford, VA
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: August 05, 2009 07:00AM
CJsNvrUrly
I keep getting calls on my cell (a number that I don't give out) that originate from 888-306-0549. I'd love to block them.

Not paying your bills, eh? ;)
Posted by: Black
Date: August 05, 2009 08:02AM
CJsNvrUrly

[800notes.com]

MR/F Guestmap: [www.mapservices.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login