advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Hot to install chair rail in corners. Got a Gap!!
Posted by: Microman
Date: August 06, 2009 06:09PM
We had the upper and lower paint dry, and bought some of this prefinished oak chair rail at Home Depot. We are having trouble making 45 degree mitre cuts that look good in the corners.

Is there any way to make this look better?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Hot to install chair rail in corners. Got a Gap!!
Posted by: John B.
Date: August 06, 2009 06:16PM
Drywall corners are almost never 45 degrees by the time they do the joint taping. So cutting two trim pieces at 45 degrees will probably still leave a gap.

You could get a tool (forget the exact name) that measures the true angle of the corner and then adjust your miter saw to that angle.

You could try to find some wood putty that matches the finish and fill in the gap (look in the paint section, maybe also in a wood furniture repair kit).

I've also used the technique where you cope one of the trim pieces to fit over the other. Basically install one piece into the corner without any miter cut. Then cut the other piece with a 45 degree miter. Then take a coping saw and cut along the edge of the miter cut so that when you're left that piece has a cut-out section that matches the profile of the other piece. Slip that cut over the uncut piece you installed first, and you should have a good tight fit. Takes practice and time.
Posted by: BCam
Date: August 06, 2009 06:29PM
What you are looking for is an Angle Divider. It Bisects your angle for you. Just adjust you mitre cuts accordingly.

Stanley Tools makes one. They should be available at Home Depot, Lowes or any woodworking store.

[www.tooltrip.com]

Hope this helps, and good luck!
Posted by: M>B>
Date: August 06, 2009 07:22PM
There is a procedure called coping the corners.

Run the first piece straight into the wall. With a miter saw cut the other piece at a 45, then use a coping saw and cut around the face edge of the 45 actually a bit more than 45 so there will be no gap. Assemble.
Posted by: artie67
Date: August 06, 2009 08:11PM
Coping or profile cutting is the name of the game. If you are right handed you want the "profiling" with your coping saw on the right side of the saw. So, start with a wall to wall run with no "copes". Then you can go either way. The last piece will "die" to a corner or a "case" moulding. The technique is to "eyeball" the 45 degree cut and saw the profile at 90 degrees to receive the other moulding. You can "back-cut" a little (100 degrees) and fill in the voids later. All drywall corners are acute angles because to the tape and compound used to fill. Find the studs and go for it.
Posted by: Michael
Date: August 06, 2009 08:17PM
Coping isn't difficult to do, but the verbal explanation befuddled me when I first heard it. Here's a set of pictures that might help.

[www.rd.com]

I'd practice on some cheap molding first.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: August 06, 2009 08:28PM
Another vote for coping. That is what my grandfather who was a finish and furniture carpenter taught my father and what I learned from him.

Posted by: iaJim
Date: August 06, 2009 08:34PM
Yup. Cope them! Easy and fun too.
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: August 06, 2009 08:53PM
Michael
Coping isn't difficult to do, but the verbal explanation befuddled me when I first heard it.

No kidding. I have a hard time with when I HAVE pictures...let alone a verbal description.

Posted by: wurm
Date: August 06, 2009 10:21PM
Ah, just cheat. Use corner blocks and save yourself the aggravation. smiling smiley

Posted by: btfc
Date: August 06, 2009 11:12PM
"Use corner blocks and save yourself the aggravation."

This can look really nice too!
Posted by: nwyaker
Date: August 06, 2009 11:56PM
Corner blocks and cut chair rail about 1/16" longer and snap in place. Works for base molding too.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: August 07, 2009 12:21AM
But it can be a pain shaving off just enough of the back side of the corner block so it sits tight in a corner that is not square. That describes most inside corners in a house with taped wallboard joints. I have seen enough badly done corner blocks, I will take a well done coped joint.

Posted by: davester
Date: August 07, 2009 12:50AM
I don't really like corner blocks. They can be just as poorly fit as mitered corners and I prefer the look of a mitered joint anyway.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: Racer X
Date: August 07, 2009 02:48AM
you need to define what "GAP" means to you [en.wikipedia.org]
Posted by: goosegunner
Date: August 07, 2009 09:23AM
Coping additional tips

1. The trim should be laid out so coped pieces aren't seen as easy when you walk into the room.

Meaning walk into the room the way you normally would. You should be perpendicular or facing the dead end piece and parallel to the coped piece.

2. Use round file or dremel tool to fine tune the coped edge.

3. Use a belt sander to reduce the back side of trim where you have excessive humps on the wall. (careful with this one)

gg
Posted by: DRR
Date: August 07, 2009 12:10PM
Coping is great but it takes more skill and practice than just getting the angle right. If you're off by a few degrees you first need to figure out if your angle is greater than 45 (gap towards you) or less than 45 (gap in the corner.

If you are using a power miter saw then just adjust a little bit accordingly with some test pieces. Thin gaps can be filled with wood filler, and i'm assuming you're painting the whole thing anyway?
Posted by: billb
Date: August 07, 2009 01:58PM
cope or mitre
undercut and file the feather edges to fit.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 147
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018