advertisement
Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $96.85 ( -0.34 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
downloading iphone email attachments to computer?
Posted by: Chris Y
Date: August 14, 2009 07:14PM
While traveling yesterday, I received an email attachment (word doc) on my iphone that I wanted to have on my laptop, but I didn't have internet access on my laptop. Is there any way to get an attachment on to my macbook?

I have a jailbroken iPhone so I can use DiskAid to access any part of my iPhone's filesystem. I looked in the mail folder and found the .emlx file that looked like the right message (it was sized slightly bigger than the message attachment size). However, when I downloaded that to my laptop i wasn't able to open that file in any way. Mail.app tries to open it but then shows just a blank mail window.

anyway, does anyone know of a way to get attachments off the iphone onto a computer that is not internet connected?

thanks,

Chris
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: downloading iphone email attachments to computer?
Posted by: guitarist
Date: August 14, 2009 08:36PM
not connected even on a local network?

Some of the first jailbreak program information that's viewable in cydia is about SSH

I installed the little utility a long time ago. I forget what it's called, it runs invisibly. When I turn on my iPhone, it shows up as a "share" on my macbook pro, just like my other local computers show up. It's on my local WiFi network. I can navigate and access files on my iPhone from my computer, in fact, from any of the Macs in my house.

You gotta have some kind of networking. If you have no internet, no WiFi, nothing, then I don't know what to tell you. If you DO have at least a wireless LAN, check out the SSH utilities in Cydia.

Is getting your laptop and phone within range of an internet connection a barrier? You have no access anywhere? An internet device without an internet connection is obviously going to limit your options.
Date: August 14, 2009 08:55PM
guitarist
not connected even on a local network?
You gotta have some kind of networking. If you have no internet, no WiFi, nothing, then I don't know what to tell you. If you DO have at least a wireless LAN, check out the SSH utilities in Cydia.

Is getting your laptop and phone within range of an internet connection a barrier? You have no access anywhere? An internet device without an internet connection is obviously going to limit your options.

I have internet access on my iPhone, through AT&T. What I don't have is internet access through my macbook. I was at an airport and don't want to pay $9 for wifi or sometimes I'm on the train with no wifi internet for my computer. Diskaid allows you to connect to the iPhone through USB, but I can't get to the attachment.
Date: August 14, 2009 09:43PM
Internet access to your Macbook is too easy to find to be a serious barrier. There are so many free WiFi locations, hell, you can park in front of a Comfort Inn for 20 minutes, I've done that when I'm on the road. I've taken care of business while sitting in my parked car. Any district rich in hotels, restaurants, and cafes will have multiple free WiFi signals. Lurk. If you have a car, you can grab some free Fi.

More directly, if you can access the Cydia app on your iPhone, since your phone gets an internet connection, do that. Then, within Cydia, go to "Copying files to/from device" and follow instructions to install "Netatalk", which will make you phone show up in Finder under "shared". Download that utility to your iPhone.

Then bingo, you're in. Your iPhone is mounted in the finder. You can explore all its storage. Then you just have to navigate to that specific attachment. You can view every folder and subfolder on your iPhone, I can't think of any reason you won't be able to access it and successfully transfer it.
Date: August 14, 2009 10:42PM
thanks guitarist, but I'm asking if anyone knows of a way without internet access.

Regarding the Cydia app, I mentioned that I have Diskaid which lets me access the iPhone file system over USB. I just can't figure out how to get the attachment.
Date: August 14, 2009 11:50PM
Your computer does not need internet access to do what I described, Chris.

All you need is the iPhone app. Your iPhone doesn't need internet access, either, it can use the cell connection. Neither phone or computer need the internet to see each other wirelessly. No WWW required. But as you said, you already have access to everything on your iPhone via DiskAid.

You can already get inside your phone and transfer files from phone to computer without an internet connection.

How will a different method of accessing the phone's storage help you? If you can't find and transfer the email attachment with a cable connection, you won't be able to with some other type of connection, either.

You already have the tools you need.

What you need is information. You need to know exactly where in the iPhone's directory email attachments are stored.
Posted by: decay
Date: August 15, 2009 11:36PM
was it Air Sharing?

[avatron.com]

[lifehacker.com]

---
I buy records. Getting rid of some? Let me know.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2009 11:37PM by decay.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login