advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
I want some grass, man...
Posted by: wurm
Date: August 24, 2009 02:43PM
We have several bare patches in our lawn (what the hell did you think I meant? smiling smiley ) and I threw some decent loam on top a few weeks ago then found some old grass seed in the shed and spread some of that on the top, but nothing's even beginning to sprout. I guess it will require a bit more work, eh?

If I go to Home Depot or Lowes to get some new seed, what should I look for? The area gets a fair amount of sun during the day and the dirt under the loam is basically a step above sand. Would I be better off waiting until closer to Fall before trying again? Bear in mind, our lawn is mostly weeds to begin with, so I'm not looking to compete with the local golf courses. I'm just looking for the easiest, low maintenance green stuff to grow in marginal soil.

Thanks.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: I want some grass, man...
Posted by: mattkime
Date: August 24, 2009 02:56PM
where do you live?

typically, you want to put down seed once the temps stay below 80. and yes, it will take more work than throwing the seed into good dirt. Daily waterings are recommended until the grass is a couple inches tall.

the good news is that you're only a month or two from planting time so now is a good time to think about it.

Posted by: billb
Date: August 24, 2009 03:10PM
Grass seed doesn't keep very long in a shed.
(I don't think it keeps very long anywhere, but that may be my luck)

Test some seed in a paper cup on a window near your kitchen sink (where you'll see it and water it when needed. Doesn't have to be in the sun). A damp paper towel is supposed to work to test seed viability, too.

Wait till Fall coolth. It actually grows (imperceptably) all Winter and gets a jump on the weeds in the Spring.
The coolth will also help stop dryer weather from drying out and killing the baby tender roots.

You shouldn't have to add dirt unless you're filling low spots. It's more imprtant to loosen the soil to help the baby seed tender roots penetrate the earth.

If it's full of crabgrass now, you might want to wait until the first frost kills it all and rake it out. This should help loosen the soil at the same time.
Posted by: pdq
Date: August 24, 2009 03:39PM
If you can cover the seeded patch with a handful of straw, that helps immensely in keeping things moist and helping newly planted grass seed sprout.
Posted by: AAA
Date: August 24, 2009 03:45PM
I am about 3-4 weeks into a heavy overseeding. My grass that sprouted is about 1.5 to 2 inches in length.

I water it lightly at 10 am, 2 pm, 6 pm, to keep it damp and moist.

This was just before I seeded, I think. Doesn't look much different at the moment, really. But the small bare spots are hopefully going to get filled in a bit.

Now, I have too many weeds I want to get rid of. I'm a nuke and pave type guy. I wish and or am about ready to just fill it all under and put in some PAT (lafinfil will know what that means). My kids brought home some rubber crum pellets from Lucas Oil Stadium recently. I need some of that, too.
Posted by: kap
Date: August 24, 2009 04:52PM
FYI: [www.ktla.com]

From our previous post inquiring about planting grass on our lit' patch of dirt, we have been researching on baby's tears type. We have been looking at Home Depot and Lowes. None carries. We are going to Armstrong Garden in hope they would carry seeds or have some info on where we could get them.

UPDATE: Armstrong said Baby's Tears can't handle full sun. Saint Augustine can handle both hot sun and dog pee.

SoCal for now.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2009 05:47PM by kap.
Posted by: rz
Date: August 24, 2009 08:04PM
Here in Florida, you just buy sod by the pallet. Basically, it's "instant-lawn".
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 236
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018