advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Help with wireless on MB?
Posted by: pdq
Date: August 25, 2009 11:17AM
A while ago, I replaced the airport card in my Core-NOT 2-Duo White MacBook with a MBPro airport card. I thought the card was bad, and went for the MBP card off of eBay cause I got a good price and a site online said that doing this gave the MB full 802.11 N goodness. Turns out the original problem was a bad pref file, but the new card worked well, and I didn't want to tear my MB open again and reinstall the old, actually functional card, so I sold that on ebay.

Anyway, recently, my browsing has slowed down considerably, as confirmed by speedtest.net. My wife's nearly identical Core-2-Duo white MB does fine on our airport (time capsule) network, as does my MB on ethernet. Also won't connect to certain wireless networks. Signal strength looks the same- full five bars. And I trashed network prefs without improvement.

But it occurs to me that I've done several OS updates (now 10.5.8) since I put the new card in- could this be a partial compatibility problem with the airport card driver since the update may assume I have a non-802.11 N card? Does anyone know if there is a particular kext file/driver for the airport card that maybe I need to change?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 246
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018