advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Unmatched RAM?
Posted by: graylocks
Date: September 09, 2009 12:49PM
looking at the memory upgrade options for an iMac 2.4 Core 2 Duo, the OWC site says:

All iMac Core 2 Duo systems have two user accessible slots and may be updated with one memory module at a time. For the maximum performance benefit possible, two modules of the same size can be installed to enable 128MBit memory addressing.

does this mean that if i get a 2GB module and add it to the 1GB that's already in there, i won't get the full effect of 3GB?

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Unmatched RAM?
Posted by: rgG
Date: September 09, 2009 01:13PM
graylocks
looking at the memory upgrade options for an iMac 2.4 Core 2 Duo, the OWC site says:

All iMac Core 2 Duo systems have two user accessible slots and may be updated with one memory module at a time. For the maximum performance benefit possible, two modules of the same size can be installed to enable 128MBit memory addressing.

does this mean that if i get a 2GB module and add it to the 1GB that's already in there, i won't get the full effect of 3GB?

It just means that two 2GB modules is better, but 1 + 2 is definitely better than just 1GB.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Re: Unmatched RAM?
Posted by: AllGold
Date: September 09, 2009 05:21PM
There is a slight performance improvement from using matched modules. But not nearly as much of a performance improvement as adding 2GB additional RAM. In other words, 3GB unmatched will outperform 2GB matched.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 168
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020