advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Best Dogs for "Dirty Water" hot dogs?
Posted by: motopsyco
Date: September 10, 2009 12:26PM
I need to get the right Frankfurters for "Dirty Water" hot dogs day at the office. Also, will regular white bread buns do? How about traditional condiments?

I'm in San Francisco and Safeway markets are plentiful. I like the Evergood brand of franks they carry, they have the right 'snap' to them. I'll be checking the smaller neighborhood markets as well.

So any NY'ers on the west coast?

Cheers!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Best Dogs for "Dirty Water" hot dogs?
Posted by: AlphaDog
Date: September 10, 2009 12:52PM
I had to look up "Dirty Water hot dogs", because I'd never heard of them. I did find this on one site:

"The Sabrett company may not be the largest manufacturer of hot dogs, but it's the most famous, and the most familiar to New Yorkers. Many New Yorkers insist that if it's not a Sabrett hot dog, it's not authentic. Nathan's Famous* (from Coney Island) and Hebrew National kosher dogs are really the only substitutes."

You ought to be able to find the Hebrew National dogs easily. I can get them almost anywhere up here in Washington.

Don't forget sauerkraut!!

I couldn't find anything about buns until I got to dirty water dogs from Chicago.

Now I'm very hungry and feeling the need to get some hot dogs out of the freezer. smiling smiley
Posted by: AAA
Date: September 10, 2009 01:03PM
You want dirty? Hebrew. They've been closed down twice for health department reasons. smiling smiley Dirty enough for you?
Posted by: Jimmypoo
Date: September 10, 2009 01:26PM
SUBSTITUTES?

There is no substitute for REAL BEEF, and real hotdogs without RAT HAIR.

NOTHING is as good as this........

FOOLS! YOU'LL ALL PAY FOR SLIGHTING THE VIENNA BEEF GOD!
Posted by: testcase
Date: September 10, 2009 01:26PM
"You want dirty? Hebrew. They've been closed down twice for health department reasons. Dirty enough for you?"

Wow! I'd never heard that about Hebrew National. I guess their "we answer to a higher authority" advertising means that when "He" called, "He" got their voicemail sad smiley
Posted by: the_poochies
Date: September 10, 2009 01:33PM
Little Poochie and I just enjoyed a dirty Jersey water dog to celebrate the first day of school. They are best enjoyed when served out of a run-down truck or pushcart. Sabrett is the preferred brand on white buns.

Condiments to enjoy your hot dog East Coast style may be found on the Sabrett web site: [www.sabrett.com]

If you wish to serve your dog with chili & cheese, the cheese must be squirted out of a tube and have the color of an orange construction cone to be truly authentic.

If you want your hot dog prepared "Italian Style" you must learn from the master: [www.jimmybuff.com]
Date: September 10, 2009 01:39PM
jimmybuffs...

This is a hot dog??/
Posted by: Jimmypoo
Date: September 10, 2009 02:02PM
AAA
jimmybuffs...

This is a hot dog??

Is that chicken in there? That looks like a hamburger bun - not even a pita!

That's a SATAN DOG!

Posted by: AlphaDog
Date: September 10, 2009 02:24PM
Well, I just finished having two Hormel Wranglers for my lunch. I forgot there were buns in the freezer, though, so they were wrapped in whole wheat bread. Do you suppose the "good for me" wheat bread offset the "bad for me" hot dogs? Heck, I don't even care; they tasted good. smiling smiley
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: September 10, 2009 03:06PM
Have you tried the Miller brand of hot dogs? My favorite for a chain store purchase.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: apocketfulofwry
Date: September 10, 2009 04:19PM
I, a native Noo Yawker, concur that traditionally vendors sold Sabrett hot dogs. Where the expression 'dirty water dogs' comes from I do not know as I never called them that when I was a kid. And the only toppings offered were sauerkraut or onions.

If Sabrett hot dogs are not readily available, I like Nathan's Famous or Boar's Head.

In any event, you absolutely must get the kind with a natural casing--that's what provides the essential 'snap'.

For non-traditional toppings, the sky's the limit. For instance, I recently made a cucumber, mango, and roasted corn salsa that would have been an outstanding choice.

As an aside, I prefer to grill my hot dogs as opposed to boiling them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2009 04:24PM by apocketfulofwry.
Date: September 10, 2009 04:52PM
since living in Chicago, I must say that I was properly indoctrinated into Chicago style dogs. They are a meal.
Posted by: DJM
Date: September 10, 2009 09:36PM
What you need is a Garbage Plate from Nick Tahou's in Rochester. [meisterzone.com]

Gray Court, SC
Posted by: motopsyco
Date: September 11, 2009 12:18AM
Mustard, just the yellow or is the brown okay? The folks at work are really getting into this! I've already settled that there will be sauerkraut. gotta have it. I can't remember the last time I had a Hebrew National, so I'll get a pack and see if they have the 'snap'. They have the 'snap' right? I'll try the Nathan's again too.

@the_poochies, that's a great link for the Sabrett dogs, but man, one hundred clams for five pounds. I'd love to order them, but they're way out of my budget. I see though that a spicy brown mustard is de rigueur. The onions, do they really need to be in sauce?

And what about the relish?

We're going to have a Chicago Dog day too.

Satan Dogs! Right up there with Dokken vs. Chicken.spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Cheers!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 141
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018