Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $108.00 ( +1.02 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Do propane tanks expire?
Posted by: wurm
Date: September 10, 2009 07:34PM
In sorting and gathering no-longer-needed stuff for donation or sale (I've decided against the yard sale), I came across a nearly new Coleman two-burner camp stove and an unused small propane tank. The tank isn't the long, skinny one, but the shorter fat one like this .

I know it's at least several years old, and there are a few spots of rust on it, but I also know it has never been used. Do these things go bad? It can't be too dangerous as it hasn't blown up yet, but I'm wondering if it's still usable and worth anything to anyone. Maybe I could list the stove and tank as a set on Craigslist. Any thoughts?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Do propane tanks expire?
Posted by: Racer X
Date: September 10, 2009 07:38PM
if it still sloshes, it is still at least partially full, and hasn't leaked. Its fine.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: September 10, 2009 08:09PM

VTPKL it!
Posted by: GuyGene
Date: September 10, 2009 10:07PM
Yes

That old man - he don't think like no old man...
Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive". Dirt, it's nothing but dirt, I tell ye...
Windows User: "I am worried about security threats, but I'd rather have my identity stolen than put up with Windows 8," he says.
"I thought I was wrong one time, but I was mistaken." Command Sergeant Major Jim
Posted by: Robert M
Date: September 11, 2009 06:05AM
Wurm,

Definitely. Prior to BBQ, I brought a bunch of propane tanks to a local shop that refills them for you. Some were from my family. Others from friends and neighbors. They inspected each and said a couple of them were no longer usable. One was too old - I forget how old - but old enough that they had to get rid of it. Another while not cracked was in less than first rate condition and as a result no longer usable.

Robert
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: September 11, 2009 06:47AM
The little 'disposable' ones not so much. The big ones.. well, you can't refill them past the 'expiry' date stamped on the tank due to regulation. And the really old ones don't have the new anti-leak valve setup on 'em.

However, you CAN swap the old BBQ tanks out at a 'tank swap' refill place. The company usually either scraps the old tank or refits it.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: September 11, 2009 10:31AM
Cbelt,

The refill place by me won't even swap out the expired tanks. They take them for disposal and you need to purchase a new tank. One thing I do at refill places is insist on a refill of _my_ tank. Typically, when you bring them a tank, they take it and give you another one they already filled and have handy. I can't tell you how many times I see someone bring a brand-new tank to the shop and watch as they give it to the rep only to receive a dirty old cruddy but still usable one in its place. That's unacceptable to me, especially if I'm refilling a near brand-new and/or mint condition tank. I'd rather wait and get my tank back. Once place refused to refill my tank and give me my own back and I simply walked out.

Robert
Posted by: billb
Date: September 11, 2009 12:23PM
wurm
In sorting and gathering no-longer-needed stuff for donation or sale (I've decided against the yard sale), I came across a nearly new Coleman two-burner camp stove and an unused small propane tank. The tank isn't the long, skinny one, but the shorter fat one like this .

I know it's at least several years old, and there are a few spots of rust on it, but I also know it has never been used. Do these things go bad? It can't be too dangerous as it hasn't blown up yet, but I'm wondering if it's still usable and worth anything to anyone. Maybe I could list the stove and tank as a set on Craigslist. Any thoughts?

they leak when they 'go bad'.
unless there's an open flame nearby, that's all that happens.

Last time I bought those they were 4 for 10 bucks.

I'm pretty sure it says illegal to refill right on the container label - please recycle.

With the stove might help the new owner figure out why the canister bracket holder is so fat. If it has that wire holder. The fat cans are not always sold at hardware stores.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login