AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Bit Torrent: Now this is mean!
Posted by: microchip13
Date: December 20, 2005 10:24PM
348MB out of 349MB downloaded.

Zero seeds.

This is annoying.

Just because it has two clutches, shifts faster, uses a torque converter or has near-infinite gear ratios, requires less driver intervention and is more efficient doesn't make it better in my opinion.
Save The Manual Transmission
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Bit Torrent: Now this is mean!
Posted by: h'
Date: December 20, 2005 10:51PM
I've been curious about Bit Torrent. Would you be willing to give a "for dummies" translation of the above?

I suffer from the same sensitivity that you do. A few nuggets of wisdom were shared with me and I'm "trying" to incorporate them into my life. First, remember that nobody can hurt your feelings unless you let them. You can always reject what is being forced on you emotionally.
Second, nothing changes unless you change it. If you don't want the behavior to be repeated then you need to take action. Otherwise the kid has learned that his behavior is the way to get things done, because everyone lets him get away with it.
In the meantime I sympathize because I've been there.
-beerman
Posted by: hermes
Date: December 20, 2005 10:56PM
Bit torrent works by downloaders also being a download site for the file in question, thereby sharing the bandwidth. Everybody participates in the exchange. However, at least one fileserver with the file has to be available to start the process. That's the seed server so to speak.

Posted by: PeterB
Date: December 20, 2005 11:00PM
'chip, I've had that happen to me a bunch of times -- I have several downloads which are in the 96-99% range of being done, but will never be done until someone comes along with the remaining pieces... this is a serious downside of torrent.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: incognegro
Date: December 20, 2005 11:30PM
has happened to me, also.

i hate having to leave seeds open for days & days, with nobody else grabbing from me, leaving my ratio very low. i try to go at least to 1:1, sometimes more, but often i bail at .8-.9 cuz i hate having 8 seeds just sitting there, and files i can't move to their respective directories by type (FLAC, SHN, and so on).

sometimes i make up for it by seeding something myself, like a 750 MB 2-disc concert that i've uploaded 8.66 GB worth to others.

google search "bittorrent for dummies" and you'll find some guides.

Date: December 21, 2005 12:48AM
[classified]

I suffer from the same sensitivity that you do. A few nuggets of wisdom were shared with me and I'm "trying" to incorporate them into my life. First, remember that nobody can hurt your feelings unless you let them. You can always reject what is being forced on you emotionally.
Second, nothing changes unless you change it. If you don't want the behavior to be repeated then you need to take action. Otherwise the kid has learned that his behavior is the way to get things done, because everyone lets him get away with it.
-beerman

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2005 12:49AM by h'.
Date: December 21, 2005 12:49AM
[www.google.com]

==>

[www.echelonlabs.com]

==>

Not Found
The requested URL /bittorrent/ was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
Apache/1.3.34 Server at www.echelonlabs.com Port 80

-beerman
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: December 21, 2005 09:30AM
Isn't that sorta how newsgroups used to work? You would have to break up large files into many smaller pieces and HOPE that you could find them all to rejoin into the original.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: December 21, 2005 12:06PM
Can someone explain to me what is not creepy about leaving your computer accessible to outsiders for "days & days"? Or am I not understanding this process?
Anonymous User
Date: December 21, 2005 12:27PM
$tevie, its called "sharing" your resources. What's so creepy about it?
They only have access to what you allow them to access.

Carm
Posted by: $tevie
Date: December 21, 2005 12:59PM
Carm Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> $tevie, its called "sharing" your resources.
> What's so creepy about it?
> They only have access to what you allow them to
> access.
>
> Carm

I guess I am too skeptical to believe that...
It's okay, I don't need any more distractions in my life. :-)
Anonymous User
Date: December 21, 2005 01:30PM
I hear ya about the distractions.

C
Posted by: stoney70005
Date: December 21, 2005 01:56PM
You think sharing torrents is funny, fire up Limewire this April and see how many income tax PDFs you can download.

/did it last year, got about 20, complete with name, address, SSN, amount earned, deductions, you name it.
Posted by: incognegro
Date: December 22, 2005 12:11AM
BT only shares the files defined by the torrent.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 173
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020