advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
new (to us) macbook--screen broken--coupla questions
Posted by: goodmanx
Date: September 19, 2009 06:45PM
we just got a 2.4gb white macbook with a broken screen. we're mirroring it with our 22" monitor. i have a few questions.

will apps run faster if we boot off the internal sata drive instead of 7200 rpm external firewire drive?

everymac.com says, "Apple officially supports a maximum of 4 GB of RAM but third-parties have been able to upgrade the system to 6 GB of RAM using one 2 GB and one 4 GB memory module." can anyone tell me what experience you've had with more than 4 gigs?

for anyone who has experience replacing a 13" lcd screen in a macbook, please tell me the best source for reasonably priced screens and how difficult it is to do that. my technological experience is that i'm comfortable replacing ram chips, but inexperienced with a soldering iron. is this something i should be able to do myself?

i'll appreciate any assistance.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: new (to us) macbook--screen broken--coupla questions
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: September 19, 2009 07:31PM
It falls somewhere in between replacing ram and soldering anything. You don't have to solder anything, it is just screws that you need to take out and put back where they came from. Ebay is the cheapest place for LCDs. There are take a part manuals from iFixit and others.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: Black
Date: September 19, 2009 10:02PM
I'm not sure "mirroring" is what you meant to write, but maybe you don't know you can close the 'book and use it basically like a mini?
You'll reclaim a few hundred pixels of resolution in the process.
I would think apps would launch faster off the internal, but I'm wondering why you don't just try it . . .

It sounds like you're struggling with sluggishness in general-- how much RAM is in there now? You would very likely not notice any difference ever between 4 and 6 GB of RAM, were the latter possible.

Sounds to me like there's a hard drive problem here somewhere-- repair permissions/repair drive/fresh install time. Or a funky firewire bridge on your external/

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: September 19, 2009 10:46PM
Is the FW drive 400 or 800? If the internal is a 7200rpm drive it will be faster than any external drive. If the internal is 5400rpm, a 7200rpm FW800 drive may be faster.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: DRR
Date: September 20, 2009 05:47AM
Macbook screens are pretty inexpensive on ebay. Under $100 i think. Lots of water spilled on keyboard macbooks being parted out.

It's not difficult just document what you do step by step so you can retrace steps if necessary.
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: September 20, 2009 09:43AM
The internal drive is faster, if it's the stock drive.

If you want to get really crazy, you could figure out a way to run a cable from inside the macbook to an external SATA drive. That would be faster, but a PITA.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 168
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018