Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $99.02 ( +1.35 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Microwave interferes with wifi?
Posted by: graylocks
Date: September 23, 2009 10:56AM
my son's been complaining for a while that his internet connection gets messed up whenever i use the microwave. i was blowing him off but i've finally figured out that he's right. i listen to internet radio streams and whenever i heat up my frozen berries, iTunes goes into rebuffering. it doesn't happen right away; takes about 45 to 60 seconds or so.

is this normal? do i have a leak from the microwave that shouldn't be happening? is the interference any kind of health hazard?

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Microwave interferes with wifi?
Posted by: freeradical
Date: September 23, 2009 11:00AM
This seems odd; the frequencies are widely separated.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: September 23, 2009 11:05AM
Stop eating.

When fascism Comes to America it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying the cross - Sinclair Lewis
Posted by: Robert M
Date: September 23, 2009 11:12AM
Graylocks.

It's a common issue. Annoying but common. The big honking microwave oven my parents have at their house constantly interferes with their wireless network. I changed the channel used by the router (and boosters) and that reduced the amount of interference. Didn't get rid of it entirely but it was a vast improvement. Microwave ovens even interfere with 2.4 GHz cordless telephones. Again, changing the channel used by the phone usually results in a noticeable improvement.

Robert

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2009 11:14AM by Robert M.
Date: September 23, 2009 11:12AM
freeradical

even not knowing much about that aspect of science, that was my original assumption which is why i blew him off. but i just tested and it's definitely happening. oddly enough, i first tested at 40% power (didn't want to over warm my coffee) and nothing happened. hmmm. so i put some water in a bowl and ran the microwave at full power. internet stream cut out after 20 seconds. i stopped the microwave and the stream resumed. i started the microwave again; stream cut out in 15 seconds. i stopped the microwave - stream resumes.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: kj4btkljv
Date: September 23, 2009 11:16AM
graylocks
Oddly enough, i first tested at 40% power (didn't want to over warm my coffee) and nothing happened.

You could just run at 40% power for the rest of it's life. Just think of all the money you'll save on your electric bill!

smiling smiley

Jeff

Help us find a cure for cancer, fold proteins with TeamMacOSX!
[teammacosx.homeunix.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2009 11:16AM by kj4btkljv.
Normal.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: September 23, 2009 11:18AM
Normal for 2.4GHz WiFi.

I don't have a problem when using 5GHz WiFi.

"Power" setting most often adjust the duration of the generation of microwaves. "Low" power, under these circumstances would be brief interruptions that WiFi might deal with. Higher power settings would then mean longer duration of microwave activity and your WiFi would be disrupted.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

There is no safety for honest men
except by believing all possible evil
of evil men.

Pixels were born to be punished. -Frederick Van Johnson

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* Sigs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: AlphaDog
Date: September 23, 2009 11:44AM
Well, see, it goes like this: Microwaves exhaust heat, so the air coming out of the microwave while it's being used is blowing the wifi signal off course. The higher the setting on the microwave, the stronger the flow of air. smiling smiley

OK, moving on. What you're experiencing sounds pretty much like what was happening to my wireless signal when my late husband used his treadmill. When he was using it at one speed, there was no interference, but when he reduced the speed, I completely lost my wireless signal. It was a whole lot easier to simply adapt than try to figure out the exact reason why it was happening and then try to fix it.
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: September 23, 2009 11:54AM
I can only guess in all these circumstances that the devices must be generating noise in the frequency ranges of WiFi (or maybe it's a harmonic?).
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: September 23, 2009 12:52PM
Has happened here too, to my wife's Mac. The Airport Extreme is in my office, and there's a number of walls between me and her office. If the microwave runs, we'll lose some (or all) of the signal. The Airport Express in the kitchen (attached to the radio) will also completely cut out if it's streaming iTunes. The kids' Mac (on the floor almost right above me) will not lose any signal at all that we've noticed.

[reference.dbacoreworks.com]
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: September 23, 2009 12:55PM
The 2.4GHz band provides for the operation of a lot of devices including cordless phones, microwave ovens, and WiFi routers.

And of those (and other) devices can interfere with one's 2.4GHz wireless network.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

There is no safety for honest men
except by believing all possible evil
of evil men.

Pixels were born to be punished. -Frederick Van Johnson

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* Sigs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: September 23, 2009 01:27PM
good enough, then. we'll just cope. i just wanted to be sure the microwave wasn't leaking some sort of radiation death ray.

Date: September 23, 2009 01:51PM
freeradical

No, they're not.

[en.wikipedia.org]

"A microwave oven works by passing non-ionizing microwave radiation, usually at a frequency of 2.45 gigahertz (a wavelength of 12.24 centimetres (4.82 in)), through the food"
Posted by: Maddog
Date: September 23, 2009 09:54PM
Noticed the same thing here. Listening to streamed music via Airport express over whole house audio and it cuts out when the microwave is running, but not reliably.
Posted by: WHiiP
Date: September 24, 2009 05:53AM
Maddog
Noticed the same thing here. Listening to streamed music via Airport express over whole house audio and it cuts out when the microwave is running, but not reliably.

Why would you continue to use a microwave that is not reliable?

stick poke smiley

Bill
Flagler Beach, FL 32136

Carpe Vino!

Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire.
— David Rains Wallace
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login