Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $99.79 ( -0.96 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
international drivers license (IDL)
Posted by: pbarra1
Date: September 28, 2009 03:54PM
Our new au pair arrived from Guatemala without her international drivers license. Her mother went to transit agency in Guatemala and was told that they don't issue IDL. She called Guatemalan embassy in DC and they told her to go to DMV here in America. When we drove to local DMV they were closed.

It was my understanding that you have to get your IDL from the country that issued your license.
It was my understanding that as an au pair she does not have a type of visa that would allow her to get a us drivers license.
What can she do now? Does anybody know?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: international drivers license (IDL)
Posted by: freeradical
Date: September 28, 2009 04:07PM
It sounds like an IDP is an extra document that's nice to have, but you still need your original drivers license.

Also:

"If you are going to reside in the U.S., you can get a U.S. driver's license once you are in the U.S., but it may take several months to obtain a U.S. driver's license."

[www.usa.gov]
Posted by: Todd's keyboard
Date: September 28, 2009 04:08PM
My understanding is the same as yours, an IDL is issued in the same country in which one holds a license.

The first time I moved to France I did not get an IDL. The school which employed me got around the problem by arranging to have my California license translated into French by a licensed translator. Something similar may work for you.

Todd's keyboard
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: September 28, 2009 04:09PM
I have absolutely no idea...

I just wanted to say thanks for choosing the legal way to bring in an Au Pair....

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: rgG
Date: September 28, 2009 04:16PM
Foreign Visitors Driving in the U.S.

Quick facts for foreign visitors about driving in the United States

1. An International Driving Permit (IDP) translates information contained on your driver's license into 10 languages so that officials in foreign countries are able to interpret your license. An IDP supplements a valid government-issued license--it does not serve as a replacement for a license. If you are stopped by law enforcement, you will most likely be asked to produce both your IDP and your official driver's license. The United States does NOT issue International Driving Permits to foreign visitors, so you will need to obtain this document before traveling to the U.S.

[www.usa.gov]

Alpharetta, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: billb
Date: September 28, 2009 04:18PM
I'd have to ask my sister, but I think all her ua pairs from Iceland just had thier Icelandic licenses and thier J-1 visas and smiled pretty if they got pulled over. :-)

I know they got thier licenses in Ma after a while because it was easier to get into a bar with a Ma. driver's ID.
Posted by: MikeF
Date: September 28, 2009 06:34PM
AAA used to issue IDLs for around $6 if you were a member (at least for Americans going abroad). Not sure if they do it the other way...
Posted by: fauch
Date: September 28, 2009 06:38PM
Many countries let you drive with certain foreign licenses, making an IDL unnecessary....
Posted by: tenders
Date: September 28, 2009 10:17PM
...including the US. An IDL is not necessary, just possibly helpful.
Posted by: MacDoxy
Date: September 29, 2009 02:06AM
yeah i got one at AAA once
it was very simple, just a translational paper really
so maybe a translator will do
try calling AAA
Posted by: pbarra1
Date: September 29, 2009 10:12AM
I don't need an IDL for a US citizen - I need one for a Guatemalan citizen. I confirmed with AAA that IDL are only available in the country that your license is from so she needs to get it from Guatemala. Her mother in Guatemala said she went to the Guatemalan DMV to get the necessary forms and claims they told her that they don't issues IDLs - which can't be true.

Can anyone provide a link to the proper form or forms that need to be completed for a Guatemalan IDL?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2009 10:13AM by pbarra1.
Posted by: Janit
Date: September 29, 2009 02:44PM
In the US IDLs are issued by private auto clubs/travel agencies rather than by government agencies. Most likely it is the same in Guatemala.

Might also be worth calling the Guatemalan Embassy or consulate to see what they recommend.

If you Google International Driver's License, there appear to be many Auto Clubs that will provide IDLs by mail for many nationalities. Not sure if they're legit, but it's worth looking into. Edit: The state Dept does warn about possible problems/scams with such services, so be careful.

[www.ftc.gov]

More from snopes:

[www.snopes.com]

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2009 03:12PM by Janit.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login