advertisement
Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $524.94 ( +5.93 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Providing a VIN to potential used car buyer-- pros/cons?
Posted by: Black
Date: October 06, 2009 02:39PM
I have to sell a car and posted a craigslist ad-- first response = "what is VIN" . . .
I know I've read threads on this topic but I can't remember-- what are the downsides of providing it? I imagine they want to check Carfax or whatever?
Thx . . .

MR/F Guestmap: [www.mapservices.org]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Providing a VIN to potential used car buyer-- pros/cons?
Posted by: davester
Date: October 06, 2009 02:43PM
Pro: If you supply the VIN he/she can order a carfax to check the title history. I usually put the VIN in the craigslist ad just for this purpose to save time. If you don't supply the VIN then he can't, and if I were him/her I wouldn't touch a car for which the owner refused to give the VIN.

Con: There is no con.

By the way, anybody can get the VIN of your car by just looking through the windshield since it is on a tag on the dashboard.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2009 02:44PM by davester.
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: October 06, 2009 02:45PM
VIN - Vehicle Identification Number

Supply it to them. If you don't, they'll assume you don't want them to know the vehicle history.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: [macswap.org] LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Posted by: OWC Jamie
Date: October 06, 2009 02:55PM
Actually you can get a duplicate key made for your car from just your VIN number..... I'd be wary if it were me (being you're selling it on Craigslist...). Especially if your car uses a PASS key system or something of the type that has a computer chip embedded in the key for security.

[urbanlegends.about.com]

Good Luck!
Jamie Dresser
Other World Computing
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: October 06, 2009 03:15PM
OWC Jamie
Actually you can get a duplicate key made for your car from just your VIN number..... I'd be wary if it were me (being you're selling it on Craigslist...). Especially if your car uses a PASS key system or something of the type that has a computer chip embedded in the key for security.

[urbanlegends.about.com]

You could...but it would take a dishonest dealer to do it. In which case, they could just walk down the street and read the VIN. You are required to provide proof of ownership to get the key made.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
See my MacBooks for sale here: [stores.ebay.com]
Posted by: OWC Jamie
Date: October 06, 2009 03:18PM
Read the article smiling smiley Evidently a TV station was successful multiple times at different dealerships.

I'm just being the paranoid one I guess. smiling smiley

Good Luck!
Jamie Dresser
Other World Computing
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: October 06, 2009 04:01PM
Well, the article also says to cover the VIN on the dash, but they don't seem to be aware that's printed in many places, some are visible outside the car.

Anyway, it must depend on the type of vehicle. To get a key that works with my car, it has to go to the dealer, get plugged in, and then connect to a master server in Germany. So not only does the car have to be present to get a key coded, the dealer doesn't even have the software needed to make it happen.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: [macswap.org] LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Posted by: Jack D.
Date: October 06, 2009 06:21PM
I had to bring in the registration and my license to get a spare key for the wifes BMW 328i = $186.

- Jack D.

New tasteless sig coming soon!
Posted by: olnacl
Date: October 06, 2009 08:09PM
Since CL is "supposed" to be local, I'd suggest the interested party come and look at the car before giving out the VIN, and you could get name and address or even the license number of the vehicle he/she used to come and look at it. Perhaps mention your concern about security if you are comfortable with it. I doubt a dealer would give a VIN over the phone or email to a prospective buyer.

Posted by: Black
Date: October 06, 2009 08:56PM
Thanks, everyone. We're talking about a $3,000 car here that's fully insured through January, so if it gets stolen it won't be the end of the world . . . that said, I tend to trend most towards Olnaci's sentiments.
I cut CL respondents off pretty quickly if they don't honor the basic request in my ad to respond with a phone number.
Will tell it to you on the phone if we get that far.

MR/F Guestmap: [www.mapservices.org]
Posted by: Gareth
Date: October 06, 2009 09:56PM
olnacl
I doubt a dealer would give a VIN over the phone or email to a prospective buyer.

VIN numbers are readily available in most online ads (i.e. AutoTrader, eBay).
Posted by: the_poochies
Date: October 07, 2009 09:09AM
I sold and purchased a used car in August. I posted the VIN on the CL ad and I wouldn't even look at a car if a potential seller wouldn't send me the VIN so I could check it on Carfax.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login