advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
buying a kindle, what to know?
Posted by: lazydays
Date: October 07, 2009 08:40AM
I'm buying a kindle for my wife this friday afternoon. Anything I should know as I go into this new adventure?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: buying a kindle, what to know?
Posted by: SteveO
Date: October 07, 2009 08:54AM
I'd say wait 'til the Apple Tablet comes out. In all seriousness. I'm not sure exactly what it'll do but there has been a lot of publishing talk, and the Kindle has been price-dropping. I dunno. Worth a wait 'n see imho.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: October 07, 2009 08:56AM
other than the 2gb kindle costs $259 and you can only use it to read books. You can get an 8gb ipod touch for $199, the kindle reader app for free and have far more capabilities than the kindle alone.

The touch kindle reader app works great on a touch or iPhone.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: October 07, 2009 08:58AM
....know your Ps.....and Qs.......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: October 07, 2009 09:28AM
re: Apple tablet. It will probably be twice the price of a Kindle (I'm guessing $499), but it will surely do more than a Kindle, if that is what you need.
Posted by: wurm
Date: October 07, 2009 09:30AM
Ombligo
other than the 2gb kindle costs $259 and you can only use it to read books. You can get an 8gb ipod touch for $199, the kindle reader app for free and have far more capabilities than the kindle alone.

The Touch certainly does more, but if the goal is reading a book, it's one thing to do so on a 6" screen. I can't imagine reading for any length of time on a 3.5" screen.
Posted by: rgG
Date: October 07, 2009 09:36AM
wurm
Ombligo

The Touch certainly does more, but if the goal is reading a book, it's one thing to do so on a 6" screen. I can't imagine reading for any length of time on a 3.5" screen.

agree smiley

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: October 07, 2009 09:40AM
As mentioned if one is going to do a lot of reading or if reading is the primary use, a Touch or iPhone is not really the way to go.

I'm guessing an Apple tablet will be closer to $600, and I think it will be awhile before it comes out. It will certainly do more, but I bet it will be significantly bigger. That's ok for home use, but I think it will be a little too big for commuting, if that's a consideration.

I don't read enough to rationalize (I seldom need to *justify*) the purchase of a Kindle.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: October 07, 2009 09:53AM
I haven't personally touched a Kindle, but I use the Kindle app on my iPhone and my Touch. Works well enough. I prefer the 'Stanza' app. I can change the text color, size, and background to suit my eyes. Works much better in my opinion.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: October 07, 2009 10:01AM
I've been reading several books on my touch. I had the same reservations but it is much better than I thought it would be. Holding it in the palm of one hand, the thumb just flicks through from page to page with no effort or annoyance.

The touch also lets me carry the books to read where and when I want. The Kindle seems a bit to large to just carry around in my pocket.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: Ammo
Date: October 07, 2009 10:09AM
I've heard the Kindle described as more of a one trick pony compared to the Touch. The future is convergence of as many functions into one device as possible - who wants to carry multiple devices when one will do?

If it was me, I'd wait until the Apple tablet comes out (assuming all of the rumors are true!) because then you could either choose it or maybe get the Kindle at a reduced price if the tablet isn't priced a lot higher than the Kindle.
Posted by: Carm
Date: October 07, 2009 10:12AM
Buy something else.
Read ebook reader reviews online. IIRC there is a ebook reader amazon doesnt sell, but works better.

I would personally buy a netbook and add an ebook reader app.
Joe

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2009 10:13AM by Carm.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: October 07, 2009 10:24AM
wurm

i used to think along those same lines when i contemplated reading a book on the 2.5 X 3 inch screen of my Palm TX. in reality, it's actually quite pleasant. maybe the fact that the screen is illuminated, you can adjust the contrast, text size, and text and background color makes the experience comfortable. when i factor in the convenience of having a library in the palm of my hand, having the book option on my Palm is a definite win.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
If all you want to do is read, skip the NetBooks.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: October 07, 2009 10:32AM
What does your wife want to do? Is reading the primary reason for this purchase?

One trick pony not withstanding, I'll bet the Kindles *reading* experience is superior to what's been suggested, if reading is the prime consideration.

I read a book from time to time on my 'Phone, but it's because I'm trapped somewhere and I want to kill a little time. The pages look great but I spend more time turning them than reading (I tend to be a fast, voracious reader). And I get tired of holding it. ( I need a Bob Dylan style 'Phone holder.) The 'Phone is *not* the device I would choose if I wanted to read for hours at a stretch, on a regular basis. Presently I choose a book for that.

With a few software tweaks, I could see a Kindle replacing a paperback, for me. The 'Phone will never do that. I don't think an Apple tablet will either, but that won't stop me from getting one.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: datbeme
Date: October 07, 2009 11:16AM
I still can't rationalize a Kindle, but I can see how the Kindle app would be a tremendous complement to a Kindle or a physical book at home on your nightstand. I've dabbled with a number of sample books on my iPod Touch, and while I could never read with it exclusively, having your book(s) with you at all times is just tremendous when you have 10 minutes to kill.

It will probably never happen, but what would make me a convert is if Amazon offered a free Kindle download with the purchase of the physical book.
Posted by: samintx
Date: October 07, 2009 11:16AM
I love the old Kindle. I would not want the apple tablet for reading and taking on trips. Love Love LOve my Kindle (the original one. Would not want anything any large.
Posted by: wurm
Date: October 07, 2009 12:15PM
Maybe it already exists, but I could almost see something Touch-sized, but which opens like a book (sort of a length-wise flip phone kind of thing), with displays on both sides. There would be less "page-turning" necessary, and the screen would protect itself when closed. If a Kindle is just 1/3" thick, then double that would still be reasonable enough thickness for a double-wide Touch type of device.
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: October 07, 2009 12:23PM
Love my Kindle 2 as well.

The biggest caveat is the e-ink screen is FAR more fragile than you would think, at least until yours breaks and you start reading about it online (knock a Kindle off an ottoman onto carpet and the screen breaks)

Buy the insurance ($65, covers one incident of accidental damage) if you get the Kindle, and get a better cover than the $30 leather one which offers no protection.
Posted by: zeppo2
Date: October 07, 2009 01:09PM
The current Kindle doesn't come with any cover at all, so you'll want to buy one for your wife. I bought a neoprene sleeve for mine.
Posted by: billb
Date: October 07, 2009 03:08PM
A wife should have more than one cover.
And lots of shoes.
Posted by: DCrunch
Date: October 07, 2009 11:05PM
Have you looked at Sony's E-Book? My wife was given a Sony E-Book last year and she really likes it. This year I bought her a Sony E-Book Touch and she likes it even better. Books are downloaded to your computer (PC or Mac) and then downloaded to the E-Book. The E-Book accepts an SD card for additional memory. The Mac capability was just recently added. Before it was PC or nothing. I have a current addition Kindle. Being able to browse the Kindle library using the cell phone network has its benefits. It's like Oprah says, a book in 60 seconds anywhere you happen to be if within a cell phone tower's area. The Kindle use to be unable to download books when out of the US, but now books can also be downloaded to a computer and then downloaded to the Kindle.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 213
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020