advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Mac Mini Dilemma
Posted by: abevilac
Date: October 10, 2009 09:40AM
My G5 tower is getting a bit long in the tooth and I jumped on a refurb mac mini a few weeks ago. After it arrived, the buzz about a forthcoming "new" mini started to grow. I had purchased ram and larger HD for the new mini but I haven't yet cracked it open; in fact, it was only plugged in once since I'm in the middle of a project w/ the other machine and I don't want to recreate it on the new one.

So, last week I put the mini up on Amazon MarketPlace for sale and this morning I got the email that it has a buyer. It was priced so that I didn't lose any money on the tax/shipping/Amazon commission.

Should I sell the mini? and wait and see what Apple has up its sleeve? I am making a big assumption that the ram [two 2GB sticks] and the HD will be useable in a new machine. What do you prognosticate?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Mac Mini Dilemma
Posted by: PizzaGod
Date: October 10, 2009 09:49AM
I'm not familiar with Amazon Marketplace, but you said it was for sale, set the price and you have a buyer willing to pay it. Offer made, deal accepted-wouldn't an honorable person follow through at this point? Is one lousy computer (you have another and I bet another you haven't mentioned) worth your integrity?
Posted by: deckeda
Date: October 10, 2009 09:53AM
Yeah abevilac, you've essentially made your decision. Regardless of whatever Apple does or doesn't do, you'll feel better. Or we'll think you will.
Date: October 10, 2009 09:56AM
Point taken. However, it's not unheard of to have an order canceled -- it's happened to me several times from well-known companies. I'll make the decision this morning and ship or not ship it today, but I just wanted some input.
Posted by: zeppo2
Date: October 10, 2009 09:59AM
Personally, I'd strive to be more scrupulous than some of those crap companies that don't honor their orders (yeah, I'm talking to you, buy.com).
Posted by: SDGuy
Date: October 10, 2009 10:00AM
It'd be very unethical NOT to sell it, just because you changed your mind.

You can go through all sorts of mental justifications in your head ("I've had orders canceled on me, therefore I have the right to cancel orders too..." ), but the bottom line is that once you listed it for sale, you made your commitment.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2009 10:01AM by SDGuy.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: October 10, 2009 10:01AM
Yes, you are not be legally obligated to sell it, but you went through the motions.

Still, if you decided that you want to keep it, I don't think you sacrifice any integrity as long as you politely explain that you've had a change of heart, and apologize.

If the seller had traveled across the country or made some huge sacrifice based on your sale, that would be a different story.

In fact, all that's happened is that you've received *notification* of an offer. You haven't accepted it yet, have you?

It's not like you Kindled the potential buyer.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: October 10, 2009 10:10AM

I disagree. What code of ethics is being violated? None.

Personally, I'd strive to be more scrupulous than some of those crap companies that don't honor their orders (yeah, I'm talking to you, buy.com).

Nothing unscrupulous about changing your mind before accepting an offer, or even after accepting an offer. I'd draw the line at accepting payment, then changing your mind and returning the money. But even then there could be a very valid reason for doing so.

There are valid reasons for a *company* not to honor an order. They are not automatically unscrupulous for doing so in many situations, number one being a pricing error.

but the bottom line is that once you listed it for sale, you made your commitment.

Not true. She merely posted an intention. Again, it's not criminal, immoral, unscrupulous to have a change of heart. I say, if you think you want to keep the mini, you have every right to, and can do so with honor and integrity intact.

A sincere apology may be in order, but no guilt need apply.

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Date: October 10, 2009 10:18AM
RAMd®d

I disagree. What code of ethics is being violated? None.

Nothing unscrupulous about changing your mind before accepting an offer, or even after accepting an offer. I'd draw the line at accepting payment, then changing your mind and returning the money. But even then there could be a very valid reason for doing so.

There are valid reasons for a *company* not to honor an order. They are not automatically unscrupulous for doing so in many situations, number one being a pricing error.

but the bottom line is that once you listed it for sale, you made your commitment.

Not true. She merely posted an intention. Again, it's not criminal, immoral, unscrupulous to have a change of heart. I say, if you think you want to keep the mini, you have every right to, and can do so with honor and integrity intact.

A sincere apology may be in order, but no guilt need apply.

You probably think Lucy and the football is a hoot with a capital H too.

I don't know about your world, but in mine, you give your word and that's the end of it. Rationalizations are fine, but that's all they are. I'm sure you could justify almost anything if you tried hard enough. Bottom line, it's a $500 piece of equipment. If it's that big a deal, seller should follow through and then replace it. Sheesh, complicate things much here?
Date: October 10, 2009 11:27AM
You probably think Lucy and the football is a hoot with a capital H too.

There's no need for your sophomoric @#$%& just because we disagree.

It's disingenuous to make up scenarios of what I believe just because you don't like what I say.

The only rationalization is the one you're creating to support an imagined obligation. You're just imagining there is. No "word" was given. It was listed for sale. The end. There is no contract made, legal, moral or otherwise. You choose to believe that for whatever reason, but you are wrong. There is no universal morality to be applied here, but you're trying to do so. Big deal.

Sheesh, complicate things much here?

Grow up. I disagree with you, and I say so. Get over yourself.

There is nothing complicated about this. Something was listed for sale, an offer was made, the seller changed their mind. The end. Simple. Or at least is should be. It wasn't done with malice or ill will, that I can see.

If abe did this for a living, even as a side business, I *might* agree with you. It depends on the circumstances. Trying to complicate this with some supposed universal truth/morality is inappropriate. Your "but you promised!" rationalization is just that.

Bottom line is, the seller can certainly change their mind, and should not be browbeaten for doing so.

If you choose do disagree with me, I'm fine with that. But there's no need to be a little bitch about it.

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

Date: October 10, 2009 12:57PM
Moot point now that I clicked on the buyer info and found that it's APO; I'll package it up nicely and send it Priority even though Amazon doesn't reimburse enough for postage.

I never thought this thread would get so...so strange. I was really expecting more speculation on what new minis might be in the offing.
Posted by: SDGuy
Date: October 10, 2009 01:05PM
abevilac
Moot point now that I clicked on the buyer info and found that it's APO; I'll package it up nicely and send it Priority even though Amazon doesn't reimburse enough for postage...

Good for you - be glad knowing that you brought some Mac goodness to someone serving our country.
Date: October 10, 2009 02:05PM
Gee Ram'd (dope?)-you really can 't take it when people disagree, can you?

Well, fella, you can take the high horse route all you want, be as insulting as you want, be an ass if you want (you're doing fine there btw). Right is right, wrong is wrong, and breaking your word sucks.

You've pretty much made it clear what your word is worth.

As far as disagreeing with you-don't give yourself that much credit. Who thinks about you?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2009 02:08PM by PizzaGod.
Date: October 10, 2009 02:06PM
abevilac
Moot point now that I clicked on the buyer info and found that it's APO; I'll package it up nicely and send it Priority even though Amazon doesn't reimburse enough for postage.

I never thought this thread would get so...so strange. I was really expecting more speculation on what new minis might be in the offing.

You totally did the right thing.
Date: October 10, 2009 02:40PM
you really can 't take it when people disagree, can you?

Sure I can. It happens all the time. Judging from your first response to my post, you don't do any better in that category. But I only have your words on that.

But when people literally have to make up stuff about me in an attempt to support their opinion, then I take exception to that, although it says more about them (you) than it does me.

you can take the high horse route all you want

That's pretty funny, actually.

be as insulting as you want, be an ass if you want (you're doing fine there btw).

When in Rome, bubba.

As far as disagreeing with you-don't give yourself that much credit.

Ok, so you're saying that you don't disagree with . Hm.

Who thinks about you?

Again, you make a funny. And there's no small irony in that statement. I'm guessing it was completely lost on you.

You totally did the right thing.

And it this circumstance, either choice would have been The Right Thing. What she did was a Very Nice Thing.

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

Posted by: ADent
Date: October 10, 2009 03:53PM
It sounds like new minis are coming.

But us mini owners waited for 3 years for the old model to get redesigned - so I personally hold little hope that the current generation will have only lasted 7 months before being replaced.
Posted by: hal
Date: October 10, 2009 05:37PM
I think you are obligated to finish the transaction. If I purchased something and then heard that the seller was still looking for a better offer - I'd be pissed. If you did that regularly as an ebay seller, they'll kick you off for unsavory seller practices.

Some people go through life considering only ME - I can't believe that some here wouldn't even consider the buyer's point of view just the 'what I WANT' POV.

Disagree all you like - there are plenty of sleazy sellers that don't even realize that they are being sleazy - they think everyone else is just nuts.
Posted by: Tommie Milwaukee
Date: October 10, 2009 08:37PM
The new Minis will probably get a speed bump, a price drop & not much else. Your ram & HD should be good to go.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: October 10, 2009 09:12PM
Look at this way. The official mini page still says its "the new mini." Anyone really think they'll replace it soon?
Posted by: richorlin
Date: October 10, 2009 10:02PM
Not to beat a dead horse, but the sale doesn't go through until you confirm shipment and enter tracking info. THAT'S when the buyer's credit card is charged, not before. So, if you want to cancel the sale before you ship it, the buyer isn't losing anything. This change took effect last month.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2009 10:03PM by richorlin.
Posted by: Doc
Date: October 10, 2009 10:18PM
> if you want to cancel the sale before you ship it, the buyer
> isn't losing anything

The buyer loses his investment of time, loses confidence in the seller and probably gets a bit frustrated.

The seller loses integrity.

How much is your integrity worth these days?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 196
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020