advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
I got Ants.
Posted by: Psurfer
Date: April 11, 2006 08:27AM
They love my kitchen sink (which has nothing to eat in it). I've had those plastic bait things out for a few weeks, which kills them off for a day or 2, then a new wave appears. This has been repeated a half-dozen times, so obviously I need to stop the inflow. I see one thoroughfare of them outside on the other side of the house, going up an exterior brick wall; how do I treat this? Little odorous ants

I recall something posted here about Borax powder(?), but cannot get the search function to bring up threads w/ants (instead of pants, etc).
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: I got Ants.
Posted by: jesse
Date: April 11, 2006 08:53AM
We use terro bait and sometimes spray and it works pretty good.

[www.terro.com]

jesse
Posted by: JoeBob
Date: April 11, 2006 08:53AM
I have used this stuff with good results in the past.
Try to find the path, and place this stuff in several spots.
Don't put it in the house, because it attracts the ants.
[www.terro.com]
Posted by: TheCaber
Date: April 11, 2006 08:54AM
Here:

[forums.macresource.com]

=TC
Posted by: rgG
Date: April 11, 2006 08:54AM
Borax would work, the problem will be getting it in to where you need it. I too have the same problem several times a year. I have gone outside and sprayed whatever bug spray I have in the cracks and crevices around the windows where I see them coming in, but it is only a temporary solution. I usually just hose them down inside with something like windex, because it is the kitchen and I don't want pesticides on the floors and counters. I then clean with the windex wherever their trails are to disrupt the chemical scent or whatever it is that lets them know where to go. Eventually they seem to decide that it isn't worth it to come in and leave. Either that or it is a weather driven thing and they just go outside when the weather improves.
Posted by: grad
Date: April 11, 2006 08:59AM
Is your kitchen clean?
Are all items like sugar and other foods in sealed containers, or in closed cabinets?
Posted by: earache
Date: April 11, 2006 09:08AM
Another vote for Terro. Works great.

earache
Posted by: bangman
Date: April 11, 2006 09:12AM
Has nothing to do with cleanliness. You either got them or you don't. Had them for years in one house, next house haven't had one.

Army Ants

You don’t look but you kick me
You can’t feel but you hit me
You can’t live with the way I pray

Why we all have to look this way
I gotta heart, I got blood, feel pain

Time, time is not on my side
Cause the way I am
Gotta gotta now gotta find the reason why
A woman ain’t a man

You don’t look but you kick me
You can’t feel but you hit me
You can’t deal with the way I pray

Why do you all have to think this way
I gotta heart, I got blood, feel pain

Fall in those single file lines
Like army ants
Yeah, fall on into those single file lines
And complete the plan

---------
3GHz - The clock is STILL ticking Steve.
Posted by: SteveJobs
Date: April 11, 2006 09:34AM
Put out little bear traps for them.

Posted by: richorlin
Date: April 11, 2006 09:46AM
I've been using Terro for several years and it works great. We always get ants in the kitchen at the first sign of warm weather. I put down the Terro on index cards and the ants disappear in two to three days.
This year we had them in the kitchen and near the front door, but Terro took care of them.
Posted by: parsaplenty
Date: April 11, 2006 10:04AM
Bangman is pretty accurate about the cleanliness angle. My wife is anal about keeping things clean and when we got ants last year, she got crazy, which by association, made me crazy. We always found them on the counters and around the sink.

I sprayed ant stuff, sprinkled DE (diatomaceous earth) around my foundation and she used various things inside including ammonia and traps. They kept coming back. A couple of people said I needed a professional.

Well, after studying them for a while, I pulled off some window moulding and found that they were traveling into a cabinet and found a sealed box of confectioners sugar. The box was previously opened and my wife taped over the spout, evidently not secure enough. Got rid of the box and within a day or two no more ants. Ironically, my wife had taken everything out of that cabinet the week before and washed it down with ammonia solution.

Good luck, they are anoying.
Posted by: h linamen
Date: April 11, 2006 11:19AM
YEP.... TERRO is the solution. Simple. Put a drop on little square of stiff paper stock and they will be gone in a day. Apparently they carry it back to the nest after gathering around the drop of terro like cattle around a feed trough.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2006 11:20AM by h linamen.
Posted by: particleman
Date: April 11, 2006 11:59AM
Psurfer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I see one thoroughfare of them outside
> on the other side of the house, going up an
> exterior brick wall; how do I treat this? Little
> odorous ants
>
> I recall something posted here about Borax
> powder(?), but cannot get the search function to
> bring up threads w/ants (instead of pants, etc).

As the ants explore, they leave a scent trail for subsequent ants to follow. You could spray or wipe down the brick with a soapy solution.

[www.uky.edu]

Posted by: Don Kiyoti
Date: April 11, 2006 12:02PM
I've used a product called MAXFORCE which I got at a local do-it-yourself pest control place. Supposedly this is the stuff professionals would use if you hired them. It's granular and is designed to be used on the trails and holes. The ants carry the granules back to the nest and everyone dies. Works great. I do not use it inside my house. Those ants I vacuum up.

[picasaweb.google.com] [www.flickr.com]
Posted by: karsen
Date: April 11, 2006 12:34PM
Several things to do...

- Use Borax (Orthoboric Acid) sprinkled around the trail.

- Clean the counters using vinegar. It does as good a job as normal cleaners and ants hate it. Better for your health than normal cleaners too.

- Use ant traps outside. I use AntPro dispensers and they've completely cured my ant problem. [www.kmantpro.com]
Posted by: earache
Date: April 11, 2006 01:18PM
One time I was feeding Terro to a single stream of ants for 2 weeks. I had 4 plates of the stuff out for them and had to refill twice a day... they just kept coming. Then they just vanished.

earache
Posted by: Mactel
Date: April 11, 2006 05:45PM
Terro did the trick for the sugar ants I had in my kitchen.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: April 11, 2006 10:47PM
Mix borax and sugar. Spray Windex on the easy ones to get. It will take a day or so for them to quit coming around.
Posted by: Psurfer
Date: April 12, 2006 08:49AM
Thanks, all. Here's to the slaughtering of an ant population or two!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 252
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018