Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $108.00 ( +1.02 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Can potential employers see Facebook accounts if they are set to "private"
Posted by: JoeM
Date: October 14, 2009 04:00PM
Two 20-sumptins I know are in good jobs (one might be laid off) but are looking to change them. They have typical Facebook pages. Nothing too bad but they do contain partying photos, drinking and typical silly stuff in their status messages. I advised them to clean them up and tone it down before looking but was told not to worry as no one but friends can see them.

A lot being mentioned lately in the news about current employers using browser history to visit employee social networking pages or potential employers checking them.

I've read they can gain acces to some info through picture tags and through "friends" but I'm told potential employers can't see Facebook, etc. accounts if they are set to "private" unless they get in through something like the above. Is that correct?

(God, would I have been in trouble if I had posted stuff I did in my twenties during my music biz yearsturbo naughty smiley )

JoeM
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Can potential employers see Facebook accounts if they are set to "private"
Posted by: Doc
Date: October 14, 2009 04:06PM
If a Facebook page wasn't private all along, there's almost certainly a cache somewhere.

Most employers probably wouldn't go so far as to dig through caches unless they had some suspicion about you already.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: October 14, 2009 04:06PM
If the account is set to private or friends then only friends can see it. Most people just leave theirs public I guess.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: AAA
Date: October 14, 2009 04:18PM
If I were an employer, I would have a couple of those accounts with sites that do background checks with an annual fee.

[As a matter of public disclosure, I am undergoing a federal background check as we speak. Previously, secret security clearance approved]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2009 04:18PM by AAA.
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: October 14, 2009 04:33PM
Even if it is set to private it doesn't stop someone from seeing your goofy profile pic. If that pic happens to be of you with a beer bong then tough luck.

Date: October 14, 2009 05:25PM
pRICE cUBE
Even if it is set to private it doesn't stop someone from seeing your goofy profile pic. If that pic happens to be of you with a beer bong then tough luck.

I think you can keep your profile pic private too.

JoeM
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: October 14, 2009 05:32PM
....not if it is 'private dancer' mode.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: hal
Date: October 14, 2009 05:33PM
In my experience, anyone that is 'into' facebook will leave their footprint all over the net. Even if you get nothing from facebook, a good google search will usually turn up something -assuming their name isn't John Smith. I do this every time I get a large ebay payment and before I ship.

Just their name "in quotes" and their city or even address or phone number (also in quotes). I can almost always get enough info to decide if it's safe or if I should be wary.
Date: October 14, 2009 05:50PM
It was not legal but one employer was having applicants log in to their pages.

in tha 510.
Date: October 14, 2009 05:52PM
I found a recent 'private' message on a php-type board just yesterday. These were NEVER public.
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: October 14, 2009 05:55PM
JoeM
pRICE cUBE

I think you can keep your profile pic private too.

I am talking about the thumbnail pic

Posted by: morlock
Date: October 14, 2009 06:44PM
Private messages or posts are only private if the medium is secure, and all your friends also show discretion. If you post an incrimination pic, any of your friends can repost it, tagging you. And then there is this:

[pjf.id.au]
Posted by: PeterB
Date: October 14, 2009 09:22PM
The answer to this is -- yes.

All it takes, as someone else pointed out, is for one of your 896 "friends" to take a screenshot, then email to the potential employer.

I would advise against youngsters having anything on there that would embarrass their grandma, regardless of whether their profile is set to "private". Pics of themselves drinking, partying, in various states of undress, etc., all don't send a good impression. Nor do some status updates on FB or Twitter. Actually, Twitter is (IMO) a disaster waiting to happen for job seekers, because it's seemingly designed for people to mouth off about whatever is bothering them at that particular moment (in 140 characters or less). NOT conducive to people being careful about what they're saying, rather quite the opposite.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: Dakota
Date: October 14, 2009 09:50PM
But doesn't it depend on who you are hiring? If I was hiring a 22 year old right out of college I know their facebook pages are full of partying and drinking pictures and that wouldn't bother me. That is what they all have.

After you discover you're riding a dead horse, your best strategy is to dismount.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: October 14, 2009 09:52PM
...so I shouldn't post that pic from that one time....at band camp......?

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Harbourmaster
Date: October 14, 2009 09:54PM
Yes they can!

It is VERY tough to lock down your FB account so that prying eyes can't find you. The thing that most people miss from a privacy standpoint is that if you use any FB App (ie Mafia Wars, send a hug, pillow fight etc...) then you expose whatever personal info that the App gathers to your friends and their friends and on and on and on...

I have posted this link here before, if you care about your privacy at all and are a regular FB user read this article and make the appropriate changes to your settings.

[www.makeuseof.com]

Aloha, Ken

“I have developed significant attachments to several members even though I wouldn't recognize them if I sat next to one on a park bench. I'm often tempted when in an airport to walk around, hollering "The Løpe", to see if anyone other than the Homeland Security people will acknowledge me. ” - The Løpe
Date: October 14, 2009 10:12PM
Dakota
But doesn't it depend on who you are hiring? If I was hiring a 22 year old right out of college I know their facebook pages are full of partying and drinking pictures and that wouldn't bother me. That is what they all have.

Dakota, it really depends on who's doing the hiring / accepting / etc. Sure, if you don't care about a 22 year-old drinking and partying, that might be one thing. But if you're considering, say, accepting them to a graduate, medical, or professional school, you might think twice if they have private pages, or have public pages but are saying or doing something totally inappropriate ... especially if there are candidates out there who have public pages that are totally wholesome ... for many professions, behavior (online and in person) is everything.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2009 10:15PM by PeterB.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: October 14, 2009 10:31PM
PeterB
Dakota

Dakota, it really depends on who's doing the hiring / accepting / etc. Sure, if you don't care about a 22 year-old drinking and partying, that might be one thing. But if you're considering, say, accepting them to a graduate, medical, or professional school, you might think twice if they have private pages, or have public pages but are saying or doing something totally inappropriate ... especially if there are candidates out there who have public pages that are totally wholesome ... for many professions, behavior (online and in person) is everything.

Besides, it is far from being "what they all have". There are many who are much more responsible than you seem to think is the norm, and given the choice I would take one of them first.
Date: October 14, 2009 10:47PM
JoeH
PeterB
Dakota

Besides, it is far from being "what they all have". There are many who are much more responsible than you seem to think is the norm, and given the choice I would take one of them first.

True. There ARE some very responsible 22 year-olds out there, just not that many of them... but yes, they should go to the top of the pile in terms of employers/admissions committees...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2009 10:48PM by PeterB.
Date: October 14, 2009 11:12PM
Harbourmaster
Yes they can!

It is VERY tough to lock down your FB account so that prying eyes can't find you. The thing that most people miss from a privacy standpoint is that if you use any FB App (ie Mafia Wars, send a hug, pillow fight etc...) then you expose whatever personal info that the App gathers to your friends and their friends and on and on and on...

I have posted this link here before, if you care about your privacy at all and are a regular FB user read this article and make the appropriate changes to your settings.

[www.makeuseof.com]

Thanks for the link.

JoeM
Date: October 15, 2009 07:44AM
If one is applying for a job with a government/military/policing/religious employer, one should be very cognizant of their outward appearances.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login