Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $96.04 ( -2.11 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Bought new battery car still wont start
Posted by: Microman
Date: October 15, 2009 07:35PM
The other day had to jump this 95 Ford Contour to get started. Drove it home, disconnected battery and put the charger on it. No go. It would turn over but not start. So I bought another battery,brand new , and it does the same thing. Will turn over very little and then nothing. Tried to jump start, but also just turn over a little , then nothing.

Maybe Starter?

Thanks.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Bought new battery car still wont start
Posted by: rgG
Date: October 15, 2009 07:54PM
Tap on the starter with the handle of a screwdriver or something similar and see if it starts then. If it does, then it is the starter. If it doesn't it could still be the starter, too.

Alpharetta, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: tenders
Date: October 15, 2009 08:03PM
It turns over consistently, starts readily when you jump it, but will not start with its own battery?

Its ability to turn over readily rules out the solenoid. I agree that the battery was the first thing to check.

Beyond that I would suspect corroded cables or worn-out (or dirty) brushes in the starter motor. When you jump a car from a running vehicle, that vehicle's alternator furnishes a slightly higher voltage than the battery supplies by itself. That higher voltage might be able to get just enough juice through cables with corrosion in them, or brushes that have just a little bit of conductivity left.

Worn-out ignition components like old plugs or plug wires could give the same symptoms.

I would pick the starter brushes if I had to bet on one cause.

Here's another test if you have a reasonably-sized battery charger (not a trickler): will the car start with the new battery and the charger hooked up to the battery while you're cranking?
Posted by: lafinfil
Date: October 15, 2009 08:08PM
In my experience about 99% of all 12 volt DC problems can be traced to a bad ground - I'd start there.

Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: October 15, 2009 08:09PM
Best way to see if it low power from the battery is to turn on the headlights and look at them while trying to crank the engine over.
If the headlights stay fairly bright---the starter is not stealing enough juice.
If the lights dim to almost off, there is not enough juice in the battery.

If you have the newer lights this may not work if they have a ballast. Rare
Posted by: DewGuy
Date: October 15, 2009 08:11PM
Electronic ignition module?
Posted by: davester
Date: October 15, 2009 09:13PM
Could be many things...ground, starter, etc. As mentioned above, if the lights are not dimming when you try to turn it over it is a circuit problem, not a battery problem. Also note that if the car was not jumped correctly (i.e. both cars not running when hooking up the jumpers) then it is very easy to destroy the ignition module.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: October 15, 2009 09:39PM
davester
Also note that if the car was not jumped correctly (i.e. both cars not running when hooking up the jumpers)

How is that possible if one of the cars has a dead battery?

It is what it is.
Date: October 15, 2009 10:08PM
I don't understand what you don't understand. Perhaps I should have pointed out that the car donating the jump should not be running, whereas the car needing the jump is not running by definition.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: Microman
Date: October 15, 2009 10:24PM
Put original battery back in car. Light light up bright. WHen trying to start, the lights do not dim., but the dash lights do dim. The starter and engine seem to turn a little but weak.

I would think it was the starter and or solenoid. As someone says above if the Headlights dont dim when trying to start the starter is not taking enough of the juice away from the lights.

Will follow up tomorrow.
Posted by: slbett
Date: October 15, 2009 11:49PM
lafinfil is probably right. You have a bad ground or possibly a bad terminal end on starter. Corroded. Check all your cables and grounds in starting circuit. Wires can be corroded inside cable on that old of car. Look for green powder like substance on cables. Solenoid works or starter would not turn over. Starter motor isn't binding up or drawing to much current because it can't turn freely because lights are not dimming. Follow all the thicker cables and check both ends for signs of corrosion. Red and black.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2009 11:50PM by slbett.
Date: October 16, 2009 12:16AM
I concur. Most likely the ground strap between chassis and engine.

Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: October 16, 2009 08:19AM
Check *both* battery cables at the "far" end. They, as well as a bad solenoid could keep the battery from supplying enough juice to both spin the starter and "spark" the ignition.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

There is no safety for honest men
except by believing all possible evil
of evil men.

Pixels were born to be punished. -Frederick Van Johnson

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* Sigs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Carm
Date: October 16, 2009 08:13PM
Check for a broken timing belt/chain. But even before that, check your distributor cap and rotor. If your car doesnt have a distributor cap and rotor, it should have a distributor-less ignition system.
Does the engine turn over or just the starter? If its just the starter, could be bad solenoid on starter.

I would only suspect a bad ignition module if the car was shutting off unexpectedly or stuttering before it stopped turning on.

I have helped two people with the same problem of broken timing belt/chain. And two people with bad ignition modules. Both bad parts prevent the car from starting.

Joe
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login