advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Dispute Debit Card Charge
Posted by: kap
Date: April 12, 2006 08:46AM
This past Tuesday I went to a local pet shop to purchase a bark collar for my lit' terrier mix. I found one so I asked the sales clerk to ring it up. Made a call to S/O. She wasn't thrill about that particular model (neither was the doggie). I told the clerk I would look around for another. Well, none was found to the satisfaction of S/O and doggie. I decided not to make the purchase at all. Yesterday, I saw a debit charge was withdrawn from my checking account by the pet store! I called the store up. The clerk (a different one) said there was no record in the store's dbase indicated such amount ($108) on such a date. She suggested that I stop by the store today to clear it up with the store manager. No, I didn't not sign the receipt. What do y'all think?

Kap

SoCal for now.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Dispute Debit Card Charge
Posted by: AlphaDog
Date: April 12, 2006 09:03AM
I think you need to get to the pet store!

I don't use a debit card, and the biggest reason is because I've been told there's no way to dispute debits the way you can dispute charges when using a standard credit card.
Date: April 12, 2006 10:18AM
I am hoping that by not having signed the receipt the Jedi force is with me ;) Either way, I will pay a visit to the pet store.

Kap

SoCal for now.
Posted by: ADent
Date: April 12, 2006 12:11PM
You can dispute. Banks are not legally required to do as much with a Debit Card, but MasterCard and Visa have both agreed to the same levels of fraud protection and theft with Debit Cards as they provide to the Credit Cards.

They make a lot more money with Debit Cards, so they are trying to encourage their use.

If the pet store won't deal, go to the bank and say there was an unauthorized charge and see what you need to do.

I personnally have gone slightly out of my way to get only an ATM card and not a debit card.
Posted by: BW
Date: April 12, 2006 12:29PM
Did you (not) do a PIN based transaction (runs through ATM network) or a signature-based transaction (runs through credit card network)?

Either way, the card issuer should go to bat for you, although they will ask you to try and get the store to clear it up first.

Actually, the store should be happy to clear it up rather than risk a chargeback. You will get far better results if you visit the store. Even if the owner isn't there, the manager or supervisor on duty should be able to take care of you -- don't let them give you the old "Bob's not here" runaround. A quick check of their inventory should reveal one more $108 item than they should have.

Of course, if the clerk was just running some sort of scam, then you'll need to prove it which would be no fun. Probably just a mistake, though.

Whether or not you signed a receipt is actually irrelevant -- signatures on credit card transactions are a completely meaningless little tradition.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: April 12, 2006 03:24PM
The bank can tell you to pound sand if they want to and I think you only have 30 days at best to protest it.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: April 12, 2006 03:53PM
I would report it to the bank right now as a fraudulent charge. In fact, I would request that they kill that card and issue you another one, since you don't actually know that whoever used the number won't use it again.

My husband recently left his debit card in a store (aye aye aye what a goof up) and he had no problems whatsoever getting all the money back that the person who found it had spent. I think it was maybe 24 hours and it was all replaced in his account. Then he just had to send in a form affirming they were not his charges by a certain date or the money would have been taken back again. I forget how long he had, but it was plenty of time, it's not like some heart-in-your-throat race against the calendar.

Date: April 12, 2006 08:33PM
I went to see the store manager this afternoon. And he was an agreeable man. He was trying to contact me but there was no phone number on the receipt so he was hoping I would stop by the store ... if I wasn't diligent about checking my bank statement I would never catch the discrepancy. Regardless, the store is willing to credit my charge back into my account tomorrow (I had left my debit card at home at the time sad smiley Thanks everyone for your suggestions. BTW, I had always thought that a debit card was also an ATM card!

Kap

SoCal for now.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 256
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018