The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Shiira users?
Posted by: guitarist
Date: December 21, 2005 10:53AM
I saw a link in TUAW :

[www.tuaw.com]

...and decided to download Shiira, give a look. Anyone here try it? I'm just now checking it out.

Though I understand the popularity of Firefox, and am aware that other browsers like Camino, or Camano, or whatever kind of car, truck, or horse they name browsers after these days, or other Alpha or Beta minority browsers that originating from Finland, Estonia, or Sweden that have successfully captured .0001 % of the browser market, whose loyal users militantly defend their superiority and insist they're the "must-have" web browsing app for the mac, when I download them I'm invariably disappointed with the interface.

Not the functionality, or allegedly improved features. They just look bad. Most of 'em look butt-ugly compared to Safari. Even Firefox--with all due respect to its advocates and supporters--on its best day, still looks like I.E.'s ugly sister. Even using any of the customized skins you can cover its clunky interface with, it still can't compete with Safari's appearance.

I've only been using Shiira for a few minutes, not long enough to really evaluate it, but it's already the first minority browser I've seen that has an attrractive and sensible look and feel. It's visually pleasing, even nicer than Safari's look in some ways.

Again, I'm just referring to appearance (which matters, you have to look at the thing in order to use it) not the functionality. Superficially, based on a brief exploration, I think It looks pretty good. I take that back. It looks really good.

Anyone else here try Shiira?

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Shiira users?
Date: December 21, 2005 10:58AM
The permalink to TUAW's mention is here

[www.tuaw.com]
Posted by: kap
Date: December 21, 2005 11:08AM
Which link to use to download? TiA

Kap

SoCal for now.
Date: December 21, 2005 11:14AM
[hmdt-web.net]
Posted by: kap
Date: December 21, 2005 11:24AM
I was there, [prdownloads.sourceforge.jp]. I selected the mirrored site and then nothing happened :-(

Kap

SoCal for now.
Posted by: pinion
Date: December 21, 2005 11:30AM
It's just like safari. Probably because its based off the Webkit like safari. I played with it for a minute. There are a few things in there that are extra but I think I'll stick with Safari over that one. Thanks for alerting me to the alternative though.

---“What you permit, you promote. What you allow, you encourage. What you condone, you own.”
Posted by: bangman
Date: December 21, 2005 11:37AM
Camino is not a car. An El Camino is a pseudo pickup/car hybrid that was discontinued some time ago.

---------
3GHz - The clock is STILL ticking Steve.
Date: December 21, 2005 11:37AM
[prdownloads.sourceforge.jp]

That should be the direct link. Worked the first time I used it, maybe that's one you can try if you haven't already.

I agree, by the way, about the similarity. Shiira isn't likely to replace Safari as my regular browser, and yes, it does look a lot like Safari, which is probably why I like it.
Posted by: modelamac
Date: December 21, 2005 12:51PM
I tried it for a while, but it did not impress me enough to stop using Safari or Firefox.

I dropped it and Camino from my Apps folder, and haven't really looked at them recently.

I have been using the nightly builds of Firefox, as an experiment. So far there have been no problems.

I guess browsers are a personal thing, and appearance means a lot to some folks.
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: December 21, 2005 01:24PM
Even using any of the customized skins you can cover its clunky interface with, it still can't compete with Safari's appearance.

I don't know hat "ugly skins" you've used, but the one I'm using with Firefox is nice. I prefer Firefox and its little silver skin in every way to Safari.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: December 21, 2005 01:59PM
I have Shiira in my apps folder, along with Opera and Safari and IE and the expired Omniweb trial.

I always end up back on Firefox. I even use it on my PC at work, wearing its brushed metal skin so I can pretend I am on a Mac. :-D
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 267
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018