advertisement
Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $101.79 ( +0.21 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Options on finding things to do along a map route?
Posted by: AAA
Date: November 01, 2009 05:34PM
I have mentioned something like this before, and think someone suggested Yelp - not sure how to utilize that for this 'need'.

But, how can I find things to do (attractions, etc) along a driving route?

Specifically, I would be interested to know the top things to do that are XX miles off of my route from point A to point B.

Is there an easy way to extract this info from Google Maps?
I do not have access to an iPhone, but DO have iPod Touch. And have a Dell Mini 9, if that helps.

I know some of this can be done 'manually'; gathering information from various sources. But I wanted to forego any non-essential extra/busy work.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Options on finding things to do along a map route?
Posted by: Done
Date: November 01, 2009 07:14PM
Call AAA. sorry smiling smiley
Posted by: space-time
Date: November 01, 2009 07:46PM
well done smiling smiley

does anyone remember those trip-tricks or whatever they were called, that you got at AAA about 10-15 years ago before online maps and GPS were so widespread?
Posted by: vision63
Date: November 01, 2009 07:50PM
AAA has an iPhone/Touch app that works nicely. Now finding wifi when you're on the road is the issue. But lots of places have wifi.
Posted by: Jack D.
Date: November 02, 2009 07:22AM
Any GPS that shows POI's (Points of Interest)???

- Jack D.

New tasteless sig coming soon!
Posted by: Doc
Date: November 02, 2009 07:46AM
space-time
does anyone remember those trip-tricks or whatever they were called, that you got at AAA about 10-15 years ago before online maps and GPS were so widespread?

I still get Triptiks printed when I go on long road trips. The recommended routes are often better than the automated stuff from a GPS or Google Maps, they mark rest stops and local amusements and they include fold-out maps of major cities along the route.

Also, a Triptik is a nicely-bound guide that doubles as a souvenir of the trip. When I was a kid, my dad designated one of us the "Navigator" and part of the job was to get a sticker or flattened penny from every rest stop and tape it into the pages of the book with a note about what the place was like. You can't do that with a GPS.
Posted by: vision63
Date: November 02, 2009 10:36AM
Doc
space-time

I still get Triptiks printed when I go on long road trips. The recommended routes are often better than the automated stuff from a GPS or Google Maps, they mark rest stops and local amusements and they include fold-out maps of major cities along the route.

Also, a Triptik is a nicely-bound guide that doubles as a souvenir of the trip. When I was a kid, my dad designated one of us the "Navigator" and part of the job was to get a sticker or flattened penny from every rest stop and tape it into the pages of the book with a note about what the place was like. You can't do that with a GPS.

Sounds like you guys had a lot of fun.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login