advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Apple vs. Apple: Couldn't Steve just...
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: April 13, 2006 11:58AM
Couldn't Steve J and Apple just buy the catalog from Michael Jackson (who, from what I understand, is currently negotiating with Sony to sell the rights, meaning it'll probably be a Sony Connect exclusive) and put it up on the iTMS? What am I missing here?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Apple vs. Apple: Couldn't Steve just...
Posted by: spearmint
Date: April 13, 2006 12:14PM
Sony has a lot of money and can offer the Weird One other bennies like helping his music career get resucitated on their label.

Da Good Life
Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: April 13, 2006 12:22PM
I think the issue is not the music--it is the name--they didn't sell the name Appple Core to MJ/Sony
Posted by: Donkey Hotay
Date: April 13, 2006 12:26PM
I thought it was "Apple Corps" (LTD, or whatever)

=DH
Donkey (Ye Olde Farte of ye Internette) Hotay is a Tilted Windmill® enterprise.
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: April 13, 2006 12:29PM
FWIW: [www.applecorps.com]

The naming battle is one big reason why we don't see the Beatles on the iTMS. I was just wondering if Steve or Apple Computer (or Disney, for that matter) buying it would free it up to go on the iTMS. I don't pretend to know how entangled all of this actually is.
Posted by: Guitarman
Date: April 13, 2006 12:49PM
you're mixing up the copyrights. The important one here is the ownership of the master recording. The publishers and writers just collect money. The owner of the master decides if it can be released as digital product or not. The publisher may or may not have the right to re-negotiate the license and get extra money from it.

Posted by: Dennis S
Date: April 13, 2006 02:27PM
Michael probably doesn't have much say, as I would think that Sony and/or some banks have the Beatle's catalog as collateral.

I have wondered why they couldn't merge or something symbiotic. I guess you have the Yoko factor to deal with, for one thing.
Posted by: Mike Johnson
Date: April 13, 2006 06:15PM
Oh, I think the name battle has little to do with why they're not on ITMS. Microsoft has tried, too.

Steve should let Apple Corps sell iPods. They could make their own limited edition iPods with special graphics: maybe an old Beatles, a young Beatles, a John, a Ringo, and so on. They could sell them preloaded with Beatles tunes and the Beatles movies and so on.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 112
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018