advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
my sliding shelves are in, picture
Posted by: lazydays
Date: November 17, 2009 08:35PM
I posted here awhile back about sliding shelves. I just got two installed and I'm considering two more. I found getting the right size difficult and most websites for that purpose were confusing. I ended up ordering through [www.kitchenpulloutshelf.com] who's website was easy to use and the product is very nice looking.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: my sliding shelves are in, picture
Posted by: lazydays
Date: November 17, 2009 08:36PM
The shelves are unfinished so I am still wondering if I should leave them as is, add paper to the bottom of the tray, or stain them. Thoughts?
Posted by: Don C
Date: November 17, 2009 08:39PM
I recently had to reattach the back connector on the slides of a drawer and found it difficult to determine exactly where to reattach it. A new piece was not the same size as the original, so the old screw holes could not be used.

Pull out drawers sure makes getting at those pans a lot easier than digging around in a pile!
Posted by: Winston
Date: November 17, 2009 08:46PM
We love our sliding shelves. Ours are painted white, which tends to show nicks and dents over time.

I like how yours look now. I like lighter colors in kitchen cabinets as it feels like it makes things easier to find (not so much of an issue with pullouts, but still).

Another option would be to polyurethane varnish them. This would keep you from getting spots if something was put away a bit wet.

Good luck.

- Winston

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Posted by: Michael
Date: November 17, 2009 08:58PM
lazydays
The shelves are unfinished so I am still wondering if I should leave them as is, add paper to the bottom of the tray, or stain them. Thoughts?

I made some that look very much like yours from birch plywood and drawer slides and left them unstained and unfinished. They are several years old and have slightly darkened, but the various bumps and nicks are not obvious; they just sort of disappear into the shelves.
Posted by: AlphaDog
Date: November 17, 2009 09:20PM
I'm with Winston and would do the polyurethane varnish. It wouldn't change the color appreciably, but it would protect the wood. Having a hard coating would also make it easier to wipe them down.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2009 09:20PM by AlphaDog.
Posted by: space-time
Date: November 17, 2009 09:40PM
why do you guys worry so much about the COLOR of these shelves? it's not like the countertop or some kitchen furniture you stare at all day. In fact you barely see them. maybe 1 minute per day?
Posted by: artie67
Date: November 18, 2009 01:11AM
Nice job. Get some Minwax water base poly and a two inch foam brush and put a couple of coats on before you have "water rings" on the wood. I have been trying to convince clients to use drawers instead of a door with shelves for 30 years. This weekend I'll be installing 14 "trays" for a friend and have to "prefab" the parts and cut on site. It's easy to make the trays out of melamine drawer side material and 1/4" vinyl bottoms, but a real pain to crawl in the old cabinets to find ways to attach the slides. Rib-Eye steaks and red wine are involved and that can't be all bad.
Posted by: Surfrider
Date: November 18, 2009 07:44AM
I need to drawer and door (neat phrase!) my kitchen cabinets. I got hung up after I built and installed the cabinets...big project, 30 doors, 6 drawers....
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 202
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020